iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ticks ticks ticks

Started by HemlockKing, April 27, 2021, 06:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Christmas day and I just found a tick on my arm.  &***&^% !!! Stupid thing had been there at least overnight, though he seemed to be dead.  Maybe the vaccine kills more than Covid.  I was at a friends house yesterday for Christmas.  I was out in one of their pastures retrieving a soccer ball that the boys had kicked over there.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

HemlockKing

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on December 25, 2021, 12:11:54 PM
Christmas day and I just found a tick on my arm.  &***&^% !!! Stupid thing had been there at least overnight, though he seemed to be dead.  Maybe the vaccine kills more than Covid.  I was at a friends house yesterday for Christmas.  I was out in one of their pastures retrieving a soccer ball that the boys had kicked over there.
Dang buggers never give us a break!
A1

Lostinmn

One of the few advantages of milling in the snow in northern Minnesota, no ticks for a while.   :D

firefighter ontheside

Well, I can't be the first to see one this year, but I had a tick crawling on my arm last week.  My days of strolling thru the woods without a care are at an end for the season.  Gonna be back to nightly tick checks, at least on the nights when I've been out and about.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

And there's a new tick thing going around too. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Old saw fixer

I've been out in tick country a few times recently, haven't been attacked yet.  Sometimes I think all the meds I take make me unappetizing, then comes may fly season...
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

thecfarm

My Grandson came up to find sheds, found 5 or 6. And found 4 ticks. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

RE:  TICK RESEARCH UPDATE

EAB University webinar
"Tick Talk -- An Update on Tick Research"
Thursday, 7 April, 11:00 (eastern)

Presented by Timothy S. McDermott, DVM, from The Ohio State University

Dr. McDermott has published a Tick Fact Sheet on the Asian Longhorned Tick. The fact sheet "VME-1035-Asian Longhorned Ticks in Ohio" is now available on Ohioline at https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/vme-1035.

Go to www.emeraldashborer.info/eabu.php for more information, and to register for and attend the webinar.
~Ron

firefighter ontheside

Well, it has begun.  Felt something on my leg in bed last night.  Yep, tick stuck to me.  I guess my hikes in the woods are almost at an end.  At least without checking for ticks at night.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jeff

My understanding is a very mild winter, like we have had, may result in a tick boom.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodroe

We've found 2 ticks in the last 2 days crawling on the dog already .
And were picking them off him well into December last year. 
Course he's got his nose on the ground and rubs his junk all over every 
fir tree he can find.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

WhitePineJunky

I got the Lyme disease 🤷�♂️ it can mess you up be careful out there! 

KEC

Jeff, the other side of the coin is that ticks can survive a harsh winter if buried under a lot of snow. If there is little snow cover and temperatures go way down, it may kill ticks. So I've heard.

Jeff

Problem is, we have had warm too. It may have been single digits once.

Jeff

When I have my frog and toad hatch on my pond,  that'll thin em out like last 2 years. We had thousands of amphibians march up that hill towards the cabin 2 different times, and both times our ticks completely disappeared around the cabin, when until that point, they were plentiful.

beenthere

Permethrin time is here when going to the woods. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don P

I'm bathed in DEET and have 6 nasty bites right now, they never froze. They also pulled doxy from the farm supply. Heaven forbid a body would self medicate rather than pay to argue with an anti anti/ anti vax doc at the clinic. Times have sure changed, now I've heard some get doxy on the down low ffcheesy .

mudfarmer

Don please PM me your buddy's doxy supplier I am out  ffcheesy oh yeah the ticks are out too. Don't forget the d in doxy please   :uhoh:  :wink_2:

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: Don P on March 05, 2024, 06:33:52 PMI'm bathed in DEET and have 6 nasty bites right now, they never froze. They also pulled doxy from the farm supply. Heaven forbid a body would self medicate rather than pay to argue with an anti anti/ anti vax doc at the clinic. Times have sure changed, now I've heard some get doxy on the down low ffcheesy .
I'm on the doxy hunt for next prescription! I want to convince my doctor as I don't believe the short round will rid of it, or ever, I've had it a couple years! But on the antibiotics I feel like a new person! No pain or fatigue 

LeeB

Pulled off my first tick tonight while I was in the bathtub. It was in a place no man ever wants one to be.  smiley_thumbsdown
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

We did not have ticks about 10 years ago. never found one on me. Now I find more each year. Seem like May, June and July are the worse. I might find about 10 on me in a year. Use to only find one then more each year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Someone needs to close the border!

Don P

That'd be the Rocky Mt and Connecticut border. DanG snowbirds  ffcheesy. Around here if you're in barberry, you're in ticks. And any of a thousand other places. I think all of these were in the pines in the front yard.

JD Guy

We haven't seen any ticks yet this year. Like others some years are worse than other years. We have a small (14) flock of free range chickens that I believe have helped keep the tick population lower in the yard but pasture and woods it's much different. We don't have near the issue that y'all in the upper Midwest deal with however. Know that from my grouse and woodcock trips to Northwoods of WI.

SwampDonkey

Been lucky up my way, we don't have them so far. I think southern NB has them as they are always talking about them down there every spring. They can stay down there. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!