iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Moisture Meter

Started by jmur1, May 06, 2021, 04:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmur1

Curious if any folks on here have bothered with a wood moisture meter.  I am curious to try one out but would be more than happy to hear comments on good or bad or preferred brand or any other feedback.  There are getting quite cheap $20 for the lower models and up to $500 for the higher end.  I imagine you get what you pay for to a point.  
I am pretty good with the old weight/color/crack method  but recently Ive been splitting alot of unusual woods (for me) so a meter may help out. 

Let me know.
jmur1 
Easy does it

Rick Alger

Now that I'm too old to climb up on the roof to clean the chimney, I've become a believer in moisture meters. Last year I "metered" the  wood I burned to 17% moisture or less. I didn't have to clean he chimney once. 
The complication is that you have to split the wood again to get a realistic reading. To test, I split about one piece in ten. The bottom of the stacks tended to be wetter as did some species like rock maple. I restacked the moist stuff and will use it next year.
My meter was a cheapie from Harbor Freight.

Nathan4104

I got a moisture meter for Christmas.  It's an unknown brand from Amazon. Has a mode selector to select a species... 
I've found a range when checking a piece of wood, as the little probes don't go very deep into the wood and it's hard to push them far into dry wood.  Easy to get 15% on the outside, then split it and check what was the middle and see it in the 20's.   
To really show some folk at a party that you know dry wood, smear some dish soap on one end of a dry looking piece, blow on the other and make bubbles.  People will be amazed.  

tomalophicon

Yes I use a cheap one. 
Once I started using it, I was amazed that wood I previously thought was dry based on appearance and 'knocking' sound wasn't as dry as I would have hoped. 
Tom.

62oliver

I've thought of getting one, but my wood is stored in an old barn and usually sits for at least 3 years so I haven't bothered.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Wood Shed

I got one of those from Amazon to check the dryness of standing dead ash, just a neat easy way to gather some info. I was surprised to see how dry some of the EAB killed ash really is straight from the woods.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

jmur1

I got the super cheap version from Walmart.  actually does seem to work ok.  You can definitely see the difference from a freshly split middle check and the end of a stacked chunk.  its about 5-10% diffence.  Ill have to check the Ash Im bringing home.  I have seen that some of them that have been dead for a while are starting to rot in place.  Time is not on our side!

jmur1

Easy does it

SwampDonkey

I use one, came with the new furnace. Don't check through the bark, but in actual xylem wood. I never get much in the flu, but I brush it every month. My flu is straight up from the elbow, no climbing roofs involved. 42 feet up. :)

Napoleon Wood Moisture Meter
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Upton44

Quote from: Wood Shed on June 30, 2021, 08:53:18 PM
I got one of those from Amazon to check the dryness of standing dead ash, just a neat easy way to gather some info. I was surprised to see how dry some of the EAB killed ash really is straight from the woods.

Same unit I have.works well

Thank You Sponsors!