iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dogwood

Started by mtnman, August 15, 2021, 05:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtnman

Is dogwood considered hardwood and good firewood?  Also would dogwood be good for cooking and smoking?

btulloh

It's hard and it's dense so it will be a good heat producer. Don't know about smoking or flavor. Makes good tool handles and mallets and such. Never seen a trunk bigger than 4 or 5 inches since it's an understory tree.

It's the Virginia state tree by the way. I used to have a lot of them, but been losing them to a blight. Still plenty around in general.

I'm sure someone else will know about the smoker aspect.
HM126

Dan_Shade

I've been using some for file handles and wooden thread projects, I think it's a very pretty wood.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don P

Mortimer as in Wilson Creek, Archie Coffey and that neighborhood?

WV Sawmiller

Old timers used to use it for wedges/gluts. I think my dad said they nearly wiped them out in central Fla when he was a kid using them for sewing thread spools.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mtnman

Quote from: Don P on August 15, 2021, 06:47:00 PMMortimer as in Wilson Creek, Archie Coffey and that neighborhood?

Yes, sounds like you been through here before?  I bet I been through your area many times too.  We spend a lot of time in Mt Rogers area and the Jefferson NF?

mtnman

We have a lot of Dogwoods here, it is our state tree as well.  The power company does not cut them because they are the sate tree.  This dogwood got knocked down when a red oak fell on it.  You are right, they don't get very big but have pretty white flowers on them.  I think some have pink flowers?  This Dogwood was about 8 inches thick.

Dan_Shade

This is a tag from Westmoreland State Park in Virginia

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don P

Both white and pink are Cornus Florida, the pinks are different varieties, like rubra, rosea, etc.

I know your creeks pretty well, watersliding down Harper Creek falls during my misspent youth comes to mind :D. I don't think I've been there in 25 years or more now. I'm just outside the New River end of Jefferson, the other end of the county from Mt Rogers but I'm over that way pretty often.

taylorsmissbeehaven

I save all the dogwood I can for firewood. Burns hot and long. I never thought about smoking with it and would be interested to know if anyone does?

I spend a lot of time on the other side of Jefferson from you Don. Jefferson address but closer to Glendale Springs. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

mtnman

I suppose you could use dogwood to replace a Locust fence post? 

WV Sawmiller

Density may be similar but durability would not.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!