The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Wood splitter design  (Read 4067 times)

Offline jmur1

• Full Member x2
  • Wood is King
    • Share Post
Re: Wood splitter design
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2021, 07:02:24 PM »
That is a very innovative concept York!

jmur1
Easy does it

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2021, 07:26:16 PM »
When I designed  and built  my splitter I tried to keep it cheap and just  used a 4 inch  cylinder and old 12 hp kholer tractor  motor with  a 2 stage pump. When I first tested  it it was very slow because of a poor wedge design. I just used a tapered wedge and the pump would kick down almost  immediately slowing the splitting to a crawl. I then redesigned the wedge to a 2 angle wedge that cut close to 25% off the splitting  cycle time by keeping  the pump from kicking down so quickly. Well wasn't  satisfied  with that so I designed  a new edge with  a shallow  knife edge and separate shorter off center 2 stage blocks. That really  sped it up and kept the pump from kicking down early. Last thing I tried was elevating the chunk 2 inches off the base plate with blocks about  8 inches apart  to get less pinching  on the wedge. Well that really sped the cycle time up and basically  all my splitting is now done without having the pump kick down and normally everything is split using under 800 psi on my pressure gauge. I found  the wedge is a great place to start if you are working on speeding up a low flow system. I used bearing brass for my slide block liners because plastics would not last when I took into account for off center stresses from knots and cross grain. This is what my final wedge looks like and there is a provision for the 4 way knife.

This is the splitter. I used a winch for the loading platform to save money

Here you can see the log is slightly elevated.  Over 10 years I  haven't encountered anything under 24 inches long I couldn't  split. I have several  videos about it splitting  on my YouTube channel.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2021, 10:38:41 PM »
Clever use of gear rack
Isaiah 63:10

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2021, 11:20:16 PM »
Thanks for the links and ideas guys, very helpful.

I drew the whole lot today and sent off to the plasma cutters. Really going the luxury route this time.

I forget what I've said here already but I've decided to run it off the tractor and connect to 3pt linkage. I wrestled for days about how to gear up from a PTO crusing at ~300rpm to an external pump, but gave up on it. I'm just going to suck on the tractor aux and will go from there. Also just using a 4" OD ram now too.

There are lots of PTO step up boxes but they are all around 4:1 and designed for 540rpm. Like heck I'm going to sit there splitting with a tractor at wide open throttle.
300 doesn't sound like that much less but it is 55%. Nearly half flow. Best idea I could come up with was a right angle mower gearbox 2:1 driving a 4:1 step up gearbox, then a big pump. But it's a lot of money to spend to do the job slightly quicker on a different tractor... Chains and pulleys doing 10:1 was expensive and taking the pith too.

So it's gone back to a pretty basic bones model now unfortunately, I'll build on it and develop a I go.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2021, 10:55:33 AM »
nothing wrong with using the remotes. atleast that pump on there is dialed in for what the engine likes.  

trying to run stuff at a low rpm and high pressure, high flow, is tough on parts.  big load pulses.  high rpm might sound bad to our ears but it spreads more of the work across more piston pulses so each ox in the yokes is tasked with a smaller step, so to speak.
Isaiah 63:10

Offline jmur1

• Full Member x2
  • Wood is King
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2021, 02:22:47 PM »
Nice Job 21incher!  I like the overall neatness.  That is hard to maintain in this business.
Excellent looking build.  Can you lift the hood for us?  or opposite side pics?

jmur1
Easy does it

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2021, 06:23:17 PM »
This is an old video that shows most of that.

The only  reason  I built it was because there were no splitters with  any kind of ergonomics at the time. Not fast but very comfortable  for me to use. Sometimes building the item is the only way to get exactly what you want. Everything on this was cut from 1/4 surplus plate steel with a Bosch jigsaw and a whole bunch of metal cutting blades. Can't believe the jigsaw survived.  
Sorry JoshNZ for posting  this in your  thread. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2021, 07:28:16 PM »
No trouble I'm interested in seeing it all.

I wondered with the return stroke detent, could you put holes with a locator pin for your approximate rounds height, so it doesnt retract all the way to the beginning of its stroke? I imagine the detent pressure trigger is pretty low and wouldn't need much of a pin?

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2021, 07:39:01 PM »
Some of the vertical splitters I have seen locate the valve near the back or side of the vertical beam and have a foot pedal to keep both hands free, with the valve in the right location you can gear it up so that a adjustable rod on the slider can push on the valve to kick it off at the desired height. The foot pedal or valve leaver is spring loaded so that when you take your foot off it it automatically moves to the return position and stops at the set height. For this setup you can use a regular valve it does not need to be dented and a added bonus is the hoses will be shorter with the valve closer to the tractor.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2021, 08:14:48 PM »
They make c shaped spacers you can put on the shaft to limit the stroke but to pop a stuck log off with the big ones I have to back the wedge up into the eject plates so the spacers  wouldn't  work for me on  big logs with wild grain that have to be rotated to split in half the way my ejection plates work. If you can find  some elm for testing you will find its springy and doesn't always split straight or pop apart.  
I started  out thinking  about a foot pedal but really  never wanted  to have to watch 2 hands. If I didn't  need one hand to do final positioning I would  have used a 2 hand deadman system for safety. I feel  foot pedals and hydraulics can be distracting and dangerous  because you're constantly changing your  ballance on a machine like mine. If you had a chair to sit on they wouldn't be bad.

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2021, 10:07:10 PM »
The simple answer to getting some production out of a wood splitter is conveyers.  Blocks coming in, split wood going out. Nothing wrong with a lift table but a long level chained table, foot operated bring the wood in at waist level regardless of how it gets loaded is a big help. The object is to stand in one spot and produce at all costs. Foot operated machines means both hands free and if you get this far you will never go back.  For chain an old silage wagon or manure spreader will have sprockets and #67 chain.  If I had to buy new it would be 188 or 78 steel chain with 2,609 pitch sprockets. You can make these sprockets from 1" plate with a cutting torch and hole saw the eye and weld to shaft.

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2021, 02:01:28 AM »
How on earth do you make a sprocket with a cutting torch hah  popcorn_smiley

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2021, 04:00:22 AM »

:) :) :) :)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2021, 04:07:17 AM »
Lol I assume he's meaning a handheld oxy set doc. Get outta here with your fancy computer robot machine  :D

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2021, 04:12:16 AM »
It is 3 am what else you going to do!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2021, 06:53:00 AM »
Doc, either you need some coffee, or LAY OFF THE COFFEE :D ;D
Trying harder everyday.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2021, 06:55:26 AM »
It is diet Pepsi, till 7 am (my night) then maybe a double IPA before going to bed. had coffee before I cam to work last night (my morning)

Online Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2021, 07:01:12 AM »
Well, youíre forgiven ;) Beer before bedtime, Indian Pale Ale. Between the wife & I, SHE is the one that likes her beer but Iíve never developed a taste for it. Fact, Iím just almost nothing about alcohol but rarely I do, just not my cup-o-tea.

Now Iím just waiting for food to creep into the splitter talk :D
Trying harder everyday.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2021, 07:08:16 AM »
I am not much for tea, although I like it.  have a good friend who is a pain doc, and he brings us back tea from China.  I often have a beer in the evening, after work (work at home or the hospital).  I am not really on call, but really kind of always on call.  everything in moderation.  a beer in the morning helps me sleep when it is light outside, and the dogs bark at the ups guy around noon.  I am on four nights, so I have to get some good sleep in there somewhere.   8) :) :) :)

Online Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2021, 07:19:31 AM »
Coffee is MY drink of choice thumbs-up and it actually puts me to sleep, even if itís highly caffeinated, I donít know why. Now tea, iced & sugar sweet ;), itís how I grew up (if I ever did ;D).
Trying harder everyday.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
tempest splitter wedge design

Started by muddstopper on Firewood and Wood Heating

9 Replies
Last post March 01, 2013, 05:56:58 PM
by muddstopper
xx
Flue pipe design for wood stove

Started by DaveMueller on Firewood and Wood Heating

16 Replies
Last post September 07, 2021, 06:58:07 PM
by DaveMueller