iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sayings and Expressions

Started by WV Sawmiller, November 11, 2021, 11:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I'd like to start this as a new thread on common sayings and expressions we commonly use that others might find unusual or funny. We hosted 7 different foreign exchange students and many came to light while they were living with us. Others I picked up working around the world with co-workers from other countries.

My wife was driving one hot day and told Martina, our Finnish exchange student "Its hot, crack a window." Martina replied "Why? Its a perfectly good window?"

Our first exchange student was Monica, a Swede, and she used to drive me crazy every time she said "Put the light on?" I'd often ask her "Put it on what?" We'd have said turn or switch the light on.

My British friends used to say "Give him a Bell" when they wanted to call someone.

They would also "Hoover the rug".

They would also say they were going to "Step outside and smoke a fag" when they wanted to have a cigarette. In the USA we'd consider that a homophobic death threat.

Our Swede asked for a drink and my wife handed her the coke she had been drinking which had been open for a while and Monica asked "Is it still good?" and Becky said "Yeah, it's still got plenty of fizz." Monica then advised her in Sweden fizz meant fart. I don't remember her drinking the coke.

Once Becky told Martina "It's time to go. Let's hit the road." Martina said "Won't that hurt?"

When we'd say someone was *pithed we meant he was angry. For the Brits and Aussies it just meant he was drunk.

Brits and Aussies talk about the Boot and the Bonnet of a car while we'd say the hood and the trunk.

To a Brit a wheel brace is a lug wrench, a spanner is a wrench and the Loo is the toilet.

A Swedish friend of Monica's over here got some funny looks when he jumped up in class and asked for a Rubber - an Eraser - and later after gym class he told the the other guys he was "going to take a douche" - a shower.

I told our first German daughter, Neele (Ne Lah) most Americans German language skills was limited to Dumbkoff from watching Hogan's Heroes. She said they would never say that as in German it mean something closer to Butthead.

Another favorite of  mine was Brits saying "Let's go over to Tom's house and Knock him up."

If you can think of other such expressions we use or you have heard that might be funny to others please add them here.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

In my teens I had British cars, I couldn't understand what the manual meant by driving with the hood up. Finally figured out they were talking about the convertible top. :D I remember talking to a U.S. supplier, the rep laughed when I mentioned a particular city was about three hours away. "Oh you must be from Canada."
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Southside

In some parts of the world it's not a good idea to wave with your left hand if you are trying to be friendly. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

PoginyHill

Wicked good. Not an oxymoron in New England, but complementary.
Canadians refer to the forests as "the bush". I think of the bush as an overgrown field that should be "bush-hogged".
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

WV Sawmiller

Don't mention a woman's fanny to a Brit or Aussie. It may be flirtatious to an American who thinks of it as her hips or butt but it is a lot more intimate overseas and can get you slapped quick and hard.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

In the north 'i dont care for ____' means i dont like it.  In the south 'i dont care to' means i dont mind.. i dont care to help you with that is basically asking if you want help.

You cut the lights off.  
You put the shoes or groceries or laundry up. Henry go put that up now!

In the north its "whats up?"
In the south its "wha yew dewinnn?"

N: how are you? Im doing good
S: dewin arrright? Yeah, dewin arrright.

N: i think its about to pour out (or rain cats n dogs, or wicked hard)

S:  its fixin to come a'flood.

N i doubt it
S i dont reckon

N i agree
S ya ill say so

N so n so is a *#!×&  !&#[×[$+!  ;_(=*$&÷
S now shes a bit... Particular...
Praise The Lord

btulloh

:D :D :D

Mike, it's clear you're a transplant trying to learn a new language.  :D :D That's ok and welcome to The South. It only takes three or four generations to be considered "from here".  Keep up the good work!
HM126

sawguy21

WV Sawmiller

You need to know when "O (Oh) dark thirty" is when asking when someone will be back in the South.

Also "Hard Dark" is a little later than O dark thirty.

A mess of fish or a mess of collards or turnips is a valid unit of measure in the South.
Howard Green

SawyerTed

A heavy rain is a "Toad Strangler" or a "Gully Washer"

Break time on the farm (tobacco farming) is "Pop Time"  meaning it is time to have a soft drink and "Nabs" aka Lance Crackers, Moon Pie, or Little Debbie cakes (snacks)

A "Case Quarter" is a 25 cent piece versus two dimes and a nickel

"He could eat corn through a picket fence" describes a man with seriously bucked teeth

"More ______ than Carter has pills."  Meaning a large quantity.  Carter was a pill peddling company back in the day.  

"I've been running over hell's half acre."  Meaning I've been pretty busy.

"I've searched over hell's half acre." Meaning I have looked everywhere

"He's so cheap he wouldn't give a nickel to see Jesus riding a bicycle."

Seeing "Christmas" means a woman's dress might be too short or her dress blew up with the wind.

"Drier than a popcorn fart."  We need rain!

"That dog won't hunt." Meaning that's a lie or I am skeptical.

"I smell what you are cooking."  I understand your point.

"I was born at night but is wasn't LAST night."  I'm not that gullible

"That clicking sound is my belly button clicking on my spine."  I'm hungry

"I could eat the tail hole out of a hobby horse."  I'm hungry

"Hotter than the hinges on the gates of Hell."  It/that is extremely hot.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

sawguy21

Some of those are commonly used here.

WV Sawmiller

Instead of "Seeing Christmas" we used to say "Its snowing down South" which usually meant a lady's slip was showing.

"You left the barn door open" meant your fly was unzipped.

We used to say it was so dry we had half grown bluegills that did not know how to swim or "It is so dry all the catfish had ticks and fleas on them"

"Barking up the wrong tree" meant you were mistaken.

"Colder than a witches t__" or "Colder than a well diggers a__" meant it was cold.

His elevator don't go all the way to the top or His bread didn't rise meant someone was dumb or at least a little slow witted. 
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

To run very fast in fear of something included:
  Running like a scared rabbit
  Running like a scolded (sometimes scalded) dog
  Running like a striped a__ ape.

"Thicker than the hair on a dogs back"

"Madder than a wet hen"

"Up the creek without a paddle" - he was in trouble

"Lying like a rug" - he was not truthful

"Don't let your bulldog mouth overload your bunny rabbit butt."

"Even a blind hog (sometimes squirrel) finds an acorn once in a while"
Howard Green

Southside

Bless your heart.

Can go both ways, you figure it out.

Excavator up north is a Track Hoe in the south.

A Cat, no matter who made it, is a Dozer out west.

"The Dooryard", northern area that is unique to each home and somehow easily translated by those that know how to identify a "Dooryard"

"Aroostook County Search Warrant". Stand in the woods out behind a house. Call said house and tell the occupant "Ya, I just paid my fine at the courthouse and da Warden is heading your way with a warrant" then hang up.  Thirty seconds later the back screen door slams and said guy runs into the same woods with an illegal deer quarter. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Dull as a froe.

So skinny he has to drink a beer to hold his pants up.

That's like nailing jello to the wall.  Futile

I don't have two dimes to rub together.  I am broke

She's so pretty she can stop a clock.

Cattywumpuss.  Crooked or out of square a mess

Tighter than Dick's hatband.

A "Down East" NC ( eastern Carteret County) and Ocracoke phrase.  To put a "mommickin" on someone is to mess them up or give them a piece of your mind. If the sea is rough, it's mommicked.

Folks from Ocracoke when they talk about going to the mainland "They are going off."  If you aren't from Ocracoke "you are from "off"" I think it's because they really could not care less about specifically where someone is from ( They might really just want them to go back)

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

"Slicker'n owl snot" - someone is impressed with how something works.

"Water off a duck's back" - it doesn't matter

"Bull-headed" - hard to get along with or convince.

"Noisy as rain on a tin roof."

"I don't give a rat's a__" - doesn't care

"Tougher than shoe leather." - a steak that was less than tender to eat.

"Like herding cats" - a difficult task.
Howard Green

SawyerTed

Dumber than a box of hammers.

I'd rather sit in a tub full of scissors 

Nuttier than a squirrel turd!

Nickname for a guy who shows up when the work is done, "Blister"

Colder than a well diggers butt in February 

I'd like to buy her for what she's worth and sell her for what she thinks she's worth. 

She ain't been nowhere and don't know nothing 

Stephen1

Dumb as Fox.....for someone try to pull the wool over your eyes.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

mike_belben

Quote from: btulloh on November 11, 2021, 12:32:02 PM
:D :D :D

Mike, it's clear you're a transplant trying to learn a new language.  :D :D That's ok and welcome to The South. It only takes three or four generations to be considered "from here".  Keep up the good work!
Thanks man. Both my kids were born in mass but boys first day of school was in TN.  I can speak fluent southern if i want but boy actually has a genuine accent that he cant help.  He wears cowboy boots with shorts and sings merle haggard songs loud and off key so there is hope.

I moved to the bible belt to assimilate and preserve it.  Its one of few places left that is slow to adopt technology, social change or obey big brother. A little slice of 1985.
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

OK, I'll bite:

Slicker than deer guts on a doorknob.

It's like watching a squirrel trying to cross the road. (watching somebody that doesn't know what they're doing)

Couldn't find his way out of brown paper bag if he had a map glued to his nose.

deaf as a stone.

Bald as a billiard ball.

Slicker than greased glass.

Dumber than a piece of quartz.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

"Gone as a wild goose in winter"

"Pretty as a speckled pup"

"Stubborn as a mule"

"He's a couple of degrees offa plumb"

"They get along like oil and water"

"Is a frog's butt watertight?"

"Nuttier than a fruitcake"

"Crooked as a blacksnake"

"Straight as an arrow"

"He couldn't pour pith out of a boot with the instructions printed on the heel" - that's pretty dumb.

"Checking your eyelids for holes?" - asleep in class again.
Howard Green

moodnacreek

If I had not listened to country and western most of my life I could have never followed a sawmill auction and even then it took awhile. So much of the stuff was 'down yonder'

trimguy

Best thing since sliced bread.

WV Sawmiller

"Somebody beat him/her with an ugly stick" - they were less than attractive.

"S__t-faced" - drunk

"He got the s__t end of the stick" - he has problems

"Came up smelling like a rose" - success/it worked

"Pray for rain but keep on hoeing" - self help is encouraged

"He was snakebit" - he has problems

"Going hog wild" - exuberant

Howard Green

mike_belben

Bless their heart is definitely common both ways on the plateau, forgot that.  

Machines dont break, they tear up. 

You didnt throw them out, you ran them off.

He didnt criticize the neighbor, he 'got onto them about'... 

My wife has done a lot of elderly care and that turns up a lot of mountain talk.  

"Bycracky" is probably the oddest, similar to 'by God' which is also common.  BahGod i dun tore that bumper plum off.

Finer than froghair = wicked good.

Shes meeean and far boy = that person is a *$@&'!1 &*#€£&× / head

Oh i hayte that fer yew! = wow thats terrible news john. 

You arent just busy.  You are COVERED UP. Plum covered up bahgod

They arent ridges and valleys theyre bluffs and hollars. 

Its not just any pen, its an inkpin. 

If it aint covid its the crud. 

You didnt say it onest, you said it twyst.  Lots of extra "ST" sound in mountain talk.

Im gonna whoop the tar/fire outta him.

Not to be confused with the tars on your ton...  Ton truck.  A poor mans pride. 

Oh yer fyyyne = its okay, dont worry about it, no problem.

Do what? = whatd you say? I didnt hear you please repeat yourself etc

Up yonder, over yonder, hither and yon all pretty much mean there. 

Yall, yinz and yunz is all just plural people.  Youse guys.

Bein ugly or bein a butt = bein an $#&÷×+%@€÷

A 'boggan, short for toboggan, is a knit winter hat, aka beanie. 

Its not a shopping cart, its a buggy

Its not goodbye, its well aahhhrightwelllllSEEya if youre old friends.  A quick 'see ya bud' if youre new ones.

Knee high to a grasshopper = when you were little.

You arent happy, youre just tickled da detthh. 

My check, my card = ssi or welfare income

Town = the place you go to spend your check or card.

Geekin or geekin out is what a dopehead does when hes high and flipping out, howlin at the moon, fighting imaginary people, screaming in a two way argument with no one, etc.  I could probably make a very successful youtube channel just on geekin episodes. 

Lower than a snakebelly = what dopeheads eventually become.  Completely vile. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!