The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Not a Stihl Pole Saw  (Read 2431 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: Not a Stihl Pole Saw
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2021, 04:15:57 AM »
It's not user serviceable Lynn, it's inside the pole. So rivets in the pole where the connections are have to be removed. Just keep that chain oiled good. If the thing ever stops working when batteries are fine, dead motor, it's likely that fuse blown. It's one of them cylindrical glass fuses (barrel fuse).

10:40 in. This is the 18V model in the video. Might never happen on the 40V, but something to check if it fails. ;)

Another thing I found out is, if the battery won't charge, make sure it isn't hot before trying to charge. The battery could be fine, let it cool for an hr, try again.

I should have my saw in my hands by Wednesday this week. ;D
“No amount of belief makes something a fact.” James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2021, 06:07:13 AM »
What trimmer you got? Do you have to buy the pre wrapped spools of string?
I do A LOT of trimming and that would be a deal breaker for me.
I am thinking about buying the pole saw and chainsaw. Buy it as a set, chainsaw is only $60 more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2021, 06:26:35 AM »
My trimmer isn't a Ryobi, it's a Husqvarna gas one. I can wind my own string. I actually don't like it as well as my old $99 MTD one I used for over 10 years. So maybe I'll get a battery trimmer head attachment some day. I hate trimming grass so it ain't a priority. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2021, 06:45:31 AM »
I have about a ½ mile of stonewalls to trim around. Have to remember both sides on most of the walls. Was a mile at one time. I hauled off 3 stone walls, so cut it down to a ½ mile. ;D  I'm a working on another 100 feet now.
Trim around the walls or cut bushes, take your pick. But saying that, I use a vegetation killer around the rocks in the fields now. No more walking through the fields with a trimmer. Just carry a sprayer around once a year. Well I say carry, I drive the truck through the field and do 4-5 rocks than move the truck, repeat until done. I spray about a foot around each rock. That keeps the chock cherry bushes from growing around each rock.
I am experimenting with the vegetation around the walls now. I did it under the chain link fence for the dog and that has worked great. But that has only been one year. The stone walls treatment is not working out so well.  ???
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2021, 08:03:16 AM »
I've pretty much gotta use Roundup on burdock. One squirt and it's over. Takes a couple weeks to see a brown shrivelled up plant, but she's cooked, dead. :D

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »
What trimmer you got? Do you have to buy the pre wrapped spools of string?
I have the 40 volt Ryobi string trimmer and I refill the string cartridges. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2021, 05:34:51 PM »
Thanks that is good to know. 
No burdock on The Farm. Not one single plant. If was here, but we killed it. Mowing and trimming will kill back just about anything. My Father use to say, We grow it to death.
We took rock salt to the plants. Make a hole with a crow bar, fill hole full of rock salt, burdock gone.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2021, 03:42:56 AM »
Wild turkey are covered in them here from the neighbors, they eat the seeds. And coons have the stuff in their fur so they pull it out. I see little clumps of burdock seeds in the yard once in awhile. Plus I have video evidence of burdock covered turkeys. It's a continuous battle. :D Mowing and whacking don't kill burdock, maybe ours is a super strain. Need a good shovel or Roundup. :D Moving is fine for the lawn to keep in at bay, but there are some more wild areas that require brute force. :D

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2021, 02:04:00 PM »
That new 40V Ryobi pole saw came in this afternoon. Already tried it out on some firewood that was a little long. It's pretty strong, not fast like a chain saw, but strong at what it cut, which was dry. And I did remember to add chain oil. I'm charging up the battery now to full strength and going up to the woods tomorrow. Get some time in at least before that snow. :D ;)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2021, 05:14:53 PM »
If we would of went to the big city, I would have one. Heading that way next Monday. Might buy the trimmer too. Got to count the green backs before I head out.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2021, 07:22:34 PM »
I actually bought mine online from an eBay seller.  It was $25 cheaper than Home Depot's price and then it shipped to me from Home Depot.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2021, 04:36:27 AM »
I actually bought mine online from an eBay seller.  It was $25 cheaper than Home Depot's price and then it shipped to from Home depot.  ::)
I hate drop shippers. That goes on all the time via Amazon. Then you either have no warranty since it was bought by the middle man with your money or hope the manufacturer honors it. Might not go well on some stuff because in the paperwork I've got you have to deal with their network of dealers for warranty. The middle man's name is on the purchase from Home Depot, not yours. They use the loophole of buying and shipping elsewhere like a gift. Your receipt is an ebay seller, not a dealer. ::)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2021, 08:23:52 AM »
True, I did not buy from Home Depot.  I bought a Ryobi and I successfully entered the warranty information on the Ryobi warranty site.  I would not expect any warranty from Home Depot, only Ryobi.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2021, 08:36:42 AM »
Since Stihl had been mentioned I once attempted to straighten the bent shafts on one .it was an exercise of futility with only partial success .That thing had plenty of power though I must say that .I only own an inexpensive Poulan that is a better option than a 12 foot step ladder and a bumble bee saw .Although a Stihl 200T bumble bee is a lot faster . 

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2021, 11:51:39 AM »
I worked the saw this morning for 3-1/2 hrs pruning fir, fir has fine limbs. I was happy that the saw could cut without damaging the bark. I checked the battery life when I came home and I still have 2 out of 4 bars left. So I surmise one could get at least 7 hrs on the 7.5 Ah battery. Had lots of power. I even cut a few small diameter trees off the stumps, some that was half dead or not going to amount to much if left to grow. The handle bar is mainly for reaching up with the saw. When cutting the low limbs your hand is on the foam padding of the pole. I thought at first the handle should be further up the pole, but soon found out it wouldn't help with stuff to cut up high.

Very happy with the saw. But bring a jug of bar oil. I was refilling the reservoir after every two of three trees were pruned up. The thing might hold 3 oz of oil, not a lot. ;D I only used the main pole on the saw without the extension. That was far enough up for me. ;D

Just registered mine to with my HD receipt. The literature in the box has Ryobi and Home Depot all over it. So probably exclusive tool to them I guess, well says exclusive on the literature at least.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2021, 08:06:42 AM »
I had my first opportunity to give my Ryobi a workout yesterday and was quite pleased.  I decided to use the supplied 2ah battery and it still had two bars after about an hour's use.  I probably cut 20+ 1"-3" limbs and felled an 8" Sweetgum tree without any problem.  I used both the 6½ and 9½ options and did not use the strap.  The angled bar is the cat's meow because the straight bar on the Echo gas would have hung up many times but with the angled bar the limb falls away instead of pinching.  I am very satisfied.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2021, 08:21:45 AM »
    I decided to use the supplied 2ah battery and it still had two bars after about an hour's use.   
I suppose there is a bigger battery?  
But saying that after using it for an hour there is some branches that need to be picked up. That is what I want it for, at this time. I have a lot of red oak that could be limbed. Not too bad where I am claiming back the grown up pasture. And yet is the key word. Meaning not many are hanging down and hitting the tractor. At the edge of the field, there is a problem. Them trees know where the sun is. Some limbs are 20 feet long.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2021, 08:46:00 AM »
Yes my pole saw came with a smaller 2ah battery but my other three Ryobi tools came with much larger 4ah batteries.  Ryobi makes a 5, 6, and also a 7.5ah which is huge. 

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2021, 08:56:36 AM »
And I suppose with a higher price for each higher volts too. On well, that 2ah will have to do for a while. The way my shoulder is maybe an hour will be enough.
Limb for an hour, pick up limbs for 2 hours.  ;D

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2021, 09:52:05 AM »
Amazon & Ebay are full of off-brand batteries which I've used in limited fashion, not as a FT tradesperson. There are decent reviews of several by FT users. 
My cheapo pole saw is a B&D Amazon new/return warehouse item. I use my wifes girly stringtrimmer batteries  as she has lots. It has a fiberglass pole, oil via your own squirt can and ~ 8" blade. It's fine for trimming EWP's as I've used it. Not an all day, often used level of tool. Well made but limited.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How does the HT 131 Stihl Pole Saw compare to other Pole Saws?

Started by JOE.G on Chainsaws

14 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 01:36:36 AM
by Dixie Feller
xx
Looking for an IPL for a Stihl HT131 pole saw

Started by mp5n on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post November 05, 2013, 03:02:29 PM
by Roundhead
xx
Stihl HT75 pole saw--no oil ?