iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Decompresion valve issue....

Started by mrcaptainbob, November 22, 2021, 10:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

Replaced a worn MS310 with an am 390. This is the second decompression valve that came apart.
No piston/cylinder damage. What can be done to keep the pin and the valve seat from separating? Are those screw together pieces? I'm sure there's no loctite that would hold against that high a heat.
What can be done?

Whiplash1

Forget about the valve and put a plug In it, don't think you'll notice much difference. Honestly never seen one come apart though. Seen many leak!

mrcaptainbob

I'll try a plug in it. Not sure if these 78 year old shoulders will manage that. They didn't do too well pulling when the comp valve was closed. But I will give it a try....

Guydreads

Try a blue husky decomp valve. Never seen em break. Can get one used on Chainsawr.com for  bucks i think

ehp

Stay with the decompressure valve that is for your saw as the hole size will be different , Put the valve with the bigger hole in saw it will not start cause to much compression will be let off . Only thing I have seen is first when your using the valve your finger is not pushing straight the valve when pushing in so your pushing on a angle on the valve and that will break them,  next is brush is getting a hold of the valve and breaking it but I'm going with your finger is not pushing the valve in a straight line 

Real1shepherd

If you have a shoulder/arm issue, they're important. And also, if the recoil is mostly plastic, it could be hard on those to start without decomp.

On my older saws, I just plug them...on my Jonsereds 2094, I don't use it. Ten yrs from now, it might be different for me.

Kevin

Spike60

Are the deco valves also AM, or just the cylinder? The stihl decos should hold up fine. AM valves not only fall apart, but are far more likely to leak.

I second @ehp 's advice about not mixing and matching these things as they are designed to drop compression based on the size of the saw. Easy to pull and easy to start are too different things. Drop it too much and it's like trying to start an older tired saw that's losing it's compression.

Other side of that story which I see now and then is a saw that actually is getting tired where using the deco will drop the compression to where she really doesn't want to fire at all.

Back to the original post, most AM kits are low on compression compared to the OEM kits they are replacing. So, it might be worth trying with a plug in there and see if you can start it. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

ehp

I have seen guys take a decom off a husky like the older 372 that mount on the side of the cylinder and use it on a cylinder that mounts the decop on top and wonder why it will not work . Big difference in hole size between decop used on side of cylinder than up on top of cylinder .  To give you a idea on how much difference there is . On a Honda 250 cr bikesaw I use 1 decompressure out of a 3120 husky and with the head on the 250 cut as much as I can to tighten squish up the stock valve works perfect 

Thank You Sponsors!