iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hood Release Problem

Started by sawguy21, November 25, 2021, 12:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

The main cable operated  hood latch on my 05 Ram is fine but the safety won't release. Any ideas short of a crowbar?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

firefighter ontheside

So you can pull the handle in the cab and it will pop the hood, but you cannot release the safety by hand like you would normally?  Perhaps it is in a bind...something left under the hood that is pushing on the hood or the latch itself.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

That is correct. The hood moves freely, there is no tension on the latch. It probably needs a whiff if lube if I can get to it.

mike_belben

use a piece of brakeline or little pex tubing or something to shoot WD40 etc into the latch device. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

Can you reach the safety with a wire hook and pull out of the way so it will release? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

Maybe there is something amiss with the release cable still.  See if someone holds the handle in the cab while you try to release the safety.  Otherwise, we find that either the hydraulic spreader(jaws) or a cut off saw works well when we have to open the hood at a car fire.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

:D I was really hoping to not go to that extreme. I went out and after muttering some dire threats I got it open, I couldn't reach the latch by hand because of the intercooler. A little shot of gorilla grease and all is good.

sprucebunny

Glad you solved it  :)

I had a GMC Safari van that the hood cable wouldn't work one day when I needed to jump start a boat.... Won't go into the fire part  :D

The way I solved it was take it to the dealer for an oil change. Didn't say a thing about the hood...they were going to charge too much anyway  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sawguy21

Paul_H

We have a good Mopar penetrating fluid here with the 4" spray tube. You should have come by,we had doughnuts
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawguy21

Resonator

They had a recall a few years back on the hood latch on my '07 ram that my dealer had to fix for free. Maybe check if yours was included in the recall also.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

firefighter ontheside

I'm glad you got it and didn't have to be as destructive as my suggestions.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

JJ

I had similar problem on my 04' Ford Expedition, but it was chipmunks that stored about 200lbs of acorns in the sound insulation under the hood, they also filled in the air intake chock full and every other crevasse under the hood.

JJ

sumday

I had an '85 suburban that the starter hung one time and wouldn't stop. Of course that was the one time the hood latch decided to act up. I could tell from the smell of melting cables I didn't have long, so grabbed the only thing I could think of, a straight claw framing hammer and chopped through the hood at the latch. Pried open a hole like a can opener, flipped the latch, and was able to disconnect the battery before the whole thing went up in flames. I replaced the melted cables but never did replace the hood. Don't ever remember it sticking after that either.

sawguy21

:D I am really glad I didn't have to do that! The truck is my daily driver, if it was a farm/bush beater I wouldn't have been so picky.

Thank You Sponsors!