iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your favorite fighter jet or plane

Started by Bruno of NH, December 02, 2021, 12:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Mine is the A-10 thunder bolt 2
The warthog
I worked on a mountain top home for a year. A- 10 pilots would land at an airport near by 2 x a month.
They would buzz us while working on the home .
It was awesome.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

Those are a cool jet, I like reading the stories about them making it back to base with one wing and crazy stuff like that!
Too many irons in the fire

HemlockKing

That would be the sr-71 blackbird, never seen one in person, she’s a oldie now, but have they made a aircraft faster yet? And it’s a spy jet not a fight jet !
A1

snobdds

Quote from: Bruno of NH on December 02, 2021, 12:36:15 PM
The warthog
I worked on a mountain top home for a year. A- 10 pilots would land at an airport near by 2 x a month.
It was awesome.
They are so quiet for a jet.  No wonder they are feared, you can't hear them coming. 
The B2 bomber is a crazy looking plane to see in real life. 
The F15 is the best looking jet.

I finally got to see a F35 this summer.  That is one loud jet, reminds me of my McCullough super 250.  It will melt ear drums. 

florida

A-10s are amazing but there was never one that landed with its wing shot off. In 1991 one was shot with a SAM missile that tore a piece off the back edge of the left-wing near the fuselage. It was ugly but not fatal to a hog like the A10.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Tom the Sawyer

HemlockKing,

I know it is a long haul but if you are ever in the middle of Kansas, the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson has a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird on display in the main entrance where you can walk right up to it.  They also have a flown Liberty Bell 7 capsule, the mockup X-1 that was used in "The Right Stuff", a Titan rocket, German, American and Russian space artifacts, a Space Shuttle mockup, etc..  And if you have time in your day, you can tour the salt mine, 650' below ground level.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Bruno of NH on December 02, 2021, 12:36:15 PM
The warthog
It was awesome.
Yeah, the flying tank. I was working in aircraft hydraulics when that bird was developed and we made the speed brake actuator and several other major valves  and actuators on it. When the plane got into production our VP of Engineering pulled some strings and got copies of all the sales and military promotional films for us to watch. They showed all the limits of that plane as well as the live firepower it could lay down on ground targets and much of the fancy avionics. It was a beast. The first planes were built on Long Island, not far from where I worked. We would see them in the air fairly regularly headed out for test flights or delivery.
 The ship was built around the cannon. Every major component in it had reference dimensions to the centerline of that cannon.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

It was an F15 that landed with one wing. Put enough thrust behind it and a brick becomes aerodynamic. 

FWIW the pilot later said if he had known he only had one wing he would have punched out but leaking fuel obscured his view of the damage. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

HemlockKing

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on December 02, 2021, 02:52:28 PM
HemlockKing,

I know it is a long haul but if you are ever in the middle of Kansas, the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson has a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird on display in the main entrance where you can walk right up to it.  They also have a flown Liberty Bell 7 capsule, the mockup X-1 that was used in "The Right Stuff", a Titan rocket, German, American and Russian space artifacts, a Space Shuttle mockup, etc..  And if you have time in your day, you can tour the salt mine, 650' below ground level.
Thanks for that info Tom, haven't been to kansas, but if someday I do that will certainly be a destination for me! 
A1

YellowHammer

I've seen quite a few in my travels to military bases and ranges.  I've been on the targeted side of A-10's for a day, where they would track me and my buddy with the Gatling gun, then roll on one wing and wave.  The pilots would come so close I could count the fasteners in the airframe.  They are exceptionally quiet when you're in front of them, but will roll your eardrums when you are on their backside.

I thought the F17 stealth fighters were about a cool as I'd ever seen, we were on the tower with the Fire Department watching them come in, and it looked like they couldn't fly.  We joked with the Fire Chief, he said they were supposed to come in with near empty tanks to relieve pressure on the landing gear, but every now and then they would actually come in deadstick where they were on Empty.  I asked what happens when that happens, he said the pilot gets grounded.  I mentioned that was pretty tough, being told to come in basically empty, but if actually empty then the penalty was severe.  He said "Yeah, so what?  These are the best of the best, they are supposed to be able to manage it."  Nuff said.  

We also have a SR71 Blackbird here in Huntsville on display.  It's pretty cool, but I think the absolute coolest fighter plane I've ever seen was either the P51 Mustang, or the old Corsair prop planes.  We occasionally watched them do mock dogfights, and it is amazing to think about being in that kind of gun dogfight.  

The people who fly any kind of military aircraft are special people.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bruno of NH

I read an A-10 Did land with no canopy, front landing gear and not much of a nose left.
The gun malfunctioned and exploded. 
The pilot was ok .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

The Green Mountain Boys have F-35's in Burlington Vt 
There was some lawsuits about the noise but they did let them in.
I call it the sound of freedom

goose63

Not a jet but the B17 is my favorite plane of all
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Bruno of NH

The A-10 fleet are getting new wings,new radar system and updated avionics. 
Ones that have been sitting are being overhauled as well.
Also a new kit added to each engine.

firefighter ontheside

When I thought I was gonna go to the Air Force academy, I wanted to fly the A10.  Instead I went to college and then joined the fire dept.  I love the A10.  A few years ago I was at a training at Fort Leonard Wood in MO and kept hearing this distinct sound that sounded like "brrrrrrt".  I knew that was what the canon on the A10 was supposed to sound like, but I was shocked to hear it for myself.  

As much as I like the A10, the F14 was my favorite fighter of all time.  It still makes me sad that they are all gone.  The only operational ones left are in Iran I think.  The US shredded every last one that is not in a museum with all the guts gone and I think they did something to them to make sure they could never be fixed.  As a kid born in 1974 I was just the right age to be in awe of the Tomcat when Topgun came out.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on December 02, 2021, 05:06:33 PM........  As a kid born in 1974 I was just the right age to be in awe of the Tomcat when Topgun came out.
OK, that right there got me. just a year after this I was running a Big Ash NC Jig Borer making flight control manifolds for that plane as well as several other parts. I knew I was old, but I didn't think I was THAT old.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Tom King

We had an A10 pilot who had a place near us on the lake.  He would fly one around here fairly often, until he left for a long stay in South Korea.  He would show off what it could do, which is pretty impressive.

It's a scary thing when one does a tight turn at less than a thousand feet, and comes straight towards you!!!!

Raider Bill

A friend of mine was a command Sgt major at ft drum NY. The a10s would do target practice there and he'd take me out so we could watch. Quite impressive.
My favorite jet is the f-4 phantom seconded by the prop driven A-1 sky raider.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Tacotodd

On the subject of the A-10, I am told that it is the ONLY plane in the Army inventory. And that's only because of some sort of oversight on the big folks part. I can't remember exactly what I was told but all of the fixed wing stuff is supposed to NOT be in the Army, although choppers are allowed. I always thought that A-10's were the coolest thing. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin ;) Other branches are allowed whatever they think that their pilots can handle.
Trying harder everyday.

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, everybody is a kid to somebody else.

I believe all of the A-10s are flown by the Air Force and not the Army, even though its a flying tank.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

My youngest son and I were fishing at Lake Stockton in MO a month ago and I heard a loud roar.  I looked up the lake and here came 2 Warthogs on a low level flyover of the lake.  It was really cool.  I was hoping they would make another pass, but they never did.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

The A-10 is assigned to the Air Force. It is the only aircraft in their inventory that was designed and used strictly CAS (Close Air Support) and used mostly in support of infantry and other ground troops. It's secondary mission is to serve as a command platform directing support  on ground operations. I think that version is called an OA-10. It's ben called a warthog, flying tank, tank buster, flying pig, and several other things. If you ever seen what one can do to an APC is one pass it will make you shudder. The ordinance they carry is amazing in both quantity and variety.

Bruno of NH

I like warthogs 
I told my wife if I could come back as a animal,  I would be half rhino half warthog  :D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on December 02, 2021, 07:20:07 PM
Yeah, everybody is a kid to somebody else.

Yeah, I get that. It is not that my thought was about you being younger than me, for a change it just struck me that I have gotten SO old. I'm not sure how that happened or where the time went. I was in my 20's back in those days. Geez.

dgdrls

F-86 Sabre,  Old but still a looker and enthusiastically reported by pilots as a sweet flying machine.

D

Thank You Sponsors!