iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smaller echo chainsaw for limbing, etc

Started by Acem, July 19, 2022, 06:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acem

Im looking at smaller saws for delimbing, fence row cleaning,  and other uses but not for tree felling.  My wife helps me alot and she can only handle a lightweight easy to start saw. My sawmill should arrive soon.

The echo cs3510 looks nice. It's light and has a 16" bar. 

Any opinions about this and other smaller echo saws?

I had a similar husky 435? That the shop said could not be repaired because the case was bad. A dewalt 20v saw replaced it but I need something better.

Thx-Ace 
Peace sells, who's buying?

lxskllr

The cs400 is a very light and capable saw. The 2511 is a featherweight, but is limited to 8" cuts unless you have patience. Maybe take her to a store and get an idea of what she'd  like to carry. Any echo should be a nice saw, but as always, there's no free lunch. With power comes weight.

trapper

when I bought my echo cs3510 I had the dealer put a 14 inch bar on it instead of the 16 it comes with.  Having other larger saws this made the most seance for my use
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DHansen

I have a Echo 2511P and my 24 year old daughter can start it and run it without my assistants.  Easy to start.  Very light, and very capable of clearing and cleaning up.

DHansen

and if needed the saw will cut above it's weight class!  I had a shorter bar than the stock bar put on this one.  My plan was to keep it light and easy to handle.

samandothers

I have an older small top handle Echo and use it alot!  I was going to suggest and CS400 with a short bar also as did lxskllr.    
Quote from: lxskllr on July 19, 2022, 07:19:08 PM
The cs400 is a very light and capable saw. The 2511 is a featherweight, but is limited to 8" cuts unless you have patience. Maybe take her to a store and get an idea of what she'd  like to carry. Any echo should be a nice saw, but as always, there's no free lunch. With power comes weight.
I also agree with his comment to take your wife with you to try them on.

The rear handled saw would probably be safer and easier to control, depends on her skill set.

Tacotodd

DEFINITELY stay away from the top handle variety. Rear handle is the way to go unless you're a arborist/tree monkeys.
Trying harder everyday.

Old saw fixer

I beg to differ, @Tacotodd.  A top handle is not for beginners, but they are not just for climbers.  IF the user understands the risks involved in the use of one, they can help clearing an overgrowth of invasives like Autumn Olive. Never get in the path of a potential overhead kickback!  The Echo 2511T works well for me in such use.  Yes, a pole saw is safer but cumbersome and gets heavy after awhile in the heat and humidity of South Central Virginia.
I do own my mistakes and will post here if I live through an accident...
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

lxskllr

I don't consider a top handle inherently more dangerous than a rear handle. I think the biggest issue is they make sloppy unsafe work easier. It's easy to wave them around and not pay sufficient attention.

Tacotodd

The biggest problem is that of inherent leverage. NO you should not be using the rear handle to MAKE leverage, you should be using it to MAINTAIN the leverage that is already there. Lemme splain it another way. If you've ever started a top handle saw and it didn't feel, umm strange, then YOU might be ok using one. I tried to start a friends T540XP once and it felt so, backards that I declined using it even if he started it. I don't USE the de-comp on my 372 or my CS550P. I tend to use the GOL method with the rear handle between my legs. Good luck doing that with a top handle. 

But, to each his own.
Trying harder everyday.

sawguy21

I tried not to sell top handles to newbs, they wanted to hold the branch with one hand and swing the saw like a shilellagh. There was absolutely no way to activate the chain brake in the event of kickback. In Britain top handles are not allowed to be used on the ground under compensation rules.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DHansen

Getting away from the O.P's original question, but when we talk about light weight and easy to use chainsaws the top handle saw comes into question.

The issue is control of the saw.  And more experience along with increased knowledge are needed with the top handle versions.  I would not let my daughter or wife use a top handle, heck lots of my buddies I would not trust with one.  Everyone will have their own opinion on this issue, but it is a fact the top handle saw is harder to control when things go wrong.  Like any tool, just use it correctly.

I also have a Husqvarna 338xp.  It is also a good small saw, but the 2511 is lighter and can do the same type of work.

Acem

It's OK if we chase rabbits in a thread. I usually learn something.

I've never used a top handle saw and don't see the advantage on the ground but I'm willing to learn. I see a substantial advantage to lightweight saws for light work.

Thx-Ace 

lxskllr

Biggest advantage of a top handle on the ground is the compact size and portability. That comes at the expense of leverage loss as Tacotodd noted. I can hang my 2511 from my pistol belt, or while brushcutting, I can hang it from the backpack strap under my arm where it's out of the way, but still easily detached while I'm connected to the cutter. I also use it to rough cut boards and rip wood in the field. Having everything right in front of me is easier to control than the wide hand spacing of a rear handle. Kind of depends on what's needed. For straightforward saw work, I think a rear handle is better suited to the ground.

Wlmedley

I bought a echo cs341 a few years ago.It had a five year warranty at the time.Nice little top handle saw .Got hard to start after it warmed up.Dealer replaced coil and so far no more problem.I think this model has been replaced with a upgraded model.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

OddInTheForrest

I have the Stihl MS151 - And freakin love it. Have ran the 192,193,200,170,180 and 181, but so far I like the 151 most, due too the low weigth amongst others. I guess its the same saw more or less as the 2511. Fabulous size saw for smaller stuff. 

Acem

Quote from: DHansen on July 19, 2022, 09:15:31 PM

and if needed the saw will cut above it's weight class!  I had a shorter bar than the stock bar put on this one.  My plan was to keep it light and easy to handle.
Which saw is this! Thx-Ace 

DHansen

Photo and comment was about the 2511 P by Echo.  Rear handle version of the 2511 T.  25 cc and I believe the lightest 2 Stroke chainsaw on the market at this time.  Gas and oil caps are okay, but I like the Husqvarna flip caps better.  Over a year and a half of use and no issue or complaints.  About a $400.00 saw a year ago.

Acem

I ended up with a used cs400. It's working out good but my wife can't start it... she can still help with the cordless electric and mostly moving the limbs out of the way. Thx-Ace 

Acem

Well I got the saw starting better and my was using it today! 
A smaller saw would be better for her but she can use it.
It cuts good!
Thx-Ace 

DHansen

I have a 338xp Husqvarna that is a good saw.  The 338xp I have had since 2007.  But since buying the 2511P, my wife and daughter always prefer using that little Echo.  They like it because it's lighter in weight and easy starting.  Key is to make sure they understand the choke vs fast idle on a hot restart.

Thank You Sponsors!