iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky problem

Started by petefrom bearswamp, August 17, 2022, 07:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Both my son and I have 460 ranchers, 20" bar.
Very often the chains spits off for no apparent reason, burring the drive links.
A pain in the butt grinding/filing the burrs off only to have it happen again.
They came with husky 24" bars and that blankety blank anti kick chain, we replaced with 20".
First we replaced these chains with Oregon 72 chain and left the husky bars on, but had the same problem.
Bought Oregon bars and the problem remains.
I think I going to bite the bullet and get either a 562 xp or 572xp.
My logger neighbor has a 572 and after a year is very satisfied with it.
Sometimes a deal can be had at the Booneville show, Im going to check with the dealer that goes there today.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

DHansen

What is the condition of the drive sprocket?  How old is the drive sprocket?  They wear out.

petefrom bearswamp

Drive sprocket is 2 years old, saw has maybe 50 hrs on it.
This has happened since brand new and wrecked 4 chains
the last time a chain kicked off which was 2 days ago it wiped out 5 drive teeth.
Other times it just burred several and I was able to touch grind th burr off of several teeth
My echo had a worn sprocket on it which I replaced yesterday and has never thrown the chain unless operator error, ie slashing at heavy brush.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Spike60

Pete, those side covers are supposed to "ratchet" when you tighten them up. Sometimes they don't and the chain instantly goes slack. Can happen right out of the box. Take a look at it and make sure there's some grease on both the adjustment screw and the gears. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Spike60

Also ought to add that the typical Boonville deals aren't necessarily going to be there this year. Supply problems are problems and availability and price are dependant on when the dealer placed his order. One of the 2 dealers who are regularly there dragged his behind on placing his order for the show and as of last week was freaking out on the rep about getting saws. There should be some 572's up there though. Curious to see what the price will be.

There may be a rumour going around that some guy is selling 592's out of the back of his truck, but don't believe it. LOL
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Spike60 on August 18, 2022, 06:41:32 AM

There may be a rumour going around that some guy is selling 592's out of the back of his truck, but don't believe it. LOL
Spike are you going up? I am hoping we head up this evening.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Spike60

I'm skipping it this year Tom. Going to be a big downer IMO. All everyone is going to talk about is, "can't get this, can't get that, nobody wants to work, the price of fuel, can't find a truck, there's no deals up here this year, etc." Bad vibe I can do without.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Old Greenhorn

Well if you don't sound just like Eeeyore! It may turnout out that way, but that's business. Deals are where you make them. When I retired in 2020 I had a list of things I never had time for, but would make them now. The Pig roast and Boonville were two of those things. Made the pig roast last year, Boonville is next on the list Nobody is going to get in the way of me having a good time. Besides, there is always beer and since we are parked right outside the gate, driving isn't even necessary. I hope you are not falling into some kind of depression since you whiffed out missed Bill's party. I heard a rumor I am being blamed for that now? :D

When you retire you may have to take a class in having a good time. Just sayin'. ;D Don't worry, we are hear to help you. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Spike60

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 18, 2022, 11:57:36 AM
Well if you don't sound just like Eeeyore! It may turnout out that way, but that's business. Deals are where you make them. When I retired in 2020 I had a list of things I never had time for, but would make them now. The Pig roast and Boonville were two of those things. Made the pig roast last year, Boonville is next on the list Nobody is going to get in the way of me having a good time. Besides, there is always beer and since we are parked right outside the gate, driving isn't even necessary. I hope you are not falling into some kind of depression since you whiffed out missed Bill's party. I heard a rumor I am being blamed for that now? :D

When you retire you may have to take a class in having a good time. Just sayin'. ;D Don't worry, we are hear to help you. :D
Now hold on there a minute Tommy. Nothing gets in the way of me having a good time either. Such as people who choose to wallow in those negative sentiments all day long. Don't think it's healthy to be in "things are bad" mode 24/7. Hear it all day in the store. Don't need to drive 4.5 hours to hear more of the same. Plus, I don't think the show will be anything like it used to be this year. Not saying it will be a flop, but it will be palpably different. 
Yes, Billy came in yesterday and gave me some grief about not making the party. Figuring that I needed a new excuse this year, and blaming you was the most readily available story to use. There was a grain of truth to it though. I thought I'd get some wood cut so I wouldn't get there and then leave before you arrived later in the day. But of course I get involved and then I looked at the time and it was 3:00 and I was only half done. So, I just figured I'd keep going and skip the party. Kept working til 6:00 and then I was shot. Did have a couple beers though. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

petefrom bearswamp

Spike what is supposed to ratchet?
The adjuster screw?, the 2 bolts that hold the side cover on?
I am confused.
BTW I decided that I do not need a 70cc saw so am going for the 562xpMy neighbor is going up tomorrow and will pick up one for me if the price is right.
Local dealer quoted me $711  plus tax of course.
I am not going cause I hobble about anymore and it aint fun.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Spike60

$711 is a good price for a 562. Be surprised if there's anything better at Boonville.

It's the tensioner that is supposed to ratchet a bit when you tighten it. Make sure you're holding the bar tip up when tightening the nuts. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

rusticretreater

I have a 562XP with 20" bar and its a good saw.  I go right through 17-20" oak logs without problems.  It gets heavy for limbing and a couple of times I strained my wrists a tad.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

customsawyer

All I can say is that I hope I'm still looking for a new saw at 84 years young. Pete you're awesome.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Kawaliga

Quote from: Spike60 on August 18, 2022, 09:57:42 PM
$711 is a good price for a 562. Be surprised if there's anything better at Boonville.

It's the tensioner that is supposed to ratchet a bit when you tighten it. Make sure you're holding the bar tip up when tightening the nuts. :)
I think his saw has two nuts to tighten the bar.

Kawaliga

Are them a clam shell saw, if so is it possible the saw
is loose in the frame, this would knock things out of alignment
between the engine and the bar, or do these frames warp over time
which would also put them out of true, clutch on engine vs bar on
saw body misalignment.

Kawaliga

Why not get a Stihl MS261 /4hp, more power than the 460 rancher /3.62hp,
and 2lb lighter.

Spike60

Well then, why not a 550M2? Either 50cc class pro saw will out do the rancher.

Of course the saw has 2 nuts to tighten the bar! We are talking about the tensioner in the side cover working properly. What are you talking about "loose in the frame"? I know you're trying to help, but it doesn't sound like you are at all familiar with the saw. Filling in the blanks with your imagination isn't all that helpful.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

petefrom bearswamp

Spike I have been operating chain saws since 1958.
Those old Homelite 6-24 and 7-21 saws were beasts.
Thought I had died and gone to heaven when homelite came out with the xl12 and still have my 1973 super xl12 but it just gathers dust now.
Probably the reason for my carpal tunnel problem.
I do know enough to raise the tip to get the slack out.
Never have been able to justify the xtra $ for a Stihl which is a swell brand of saw.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Guydreads

@Spike60 seems like he doesn't know that you are/were (Don't know where you are in the process) a dealer. I've never heard of clamshells being "loose in the body". No idea what that even means.

Spike60

Well Pete, I was 2 years old in 1958, so I'll defer to you on all matters regarding experience.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

barbender

FWIW, I love my Husky 562, 20" bar it is the saw I reach for most often. I have a Stihl ms261cm as well. Nice little saw, nice and torquey,, runs really nice and smooth. The 562 has a nice wide range of what it can do though. Not much heavier than the 261, but it can buck logs almost with my Husky 390xp.
Too many irons in the fire

petefrom bearswamp

Im now the owner of the 562xp, fairly good but not smokin deal.
My logger friend picked it up at the Booneville show.
He said show was overall a disappointment as not as many vendors as usual and not as much product as normal for those that were there.
The rancher will go on market place or Craigs list.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

barbender

I think you'll like that saw, Pete👍
Too many irons in the fire

Spike60

Enjoy the new 562 Pete. They are quick, and like BB says, they cover a lot of ground.

Your buddy's description of the show was pretty much what I expeected it to to be like this year. Not as if all of the supply chain issues could be suspended for Boonville.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

petefrom bearswamp

Its out of the box but not assembled or gassed up yet.
Maybe this was a smokin deal.
$711 out the door,
prices found on line ranged from 789.99 to 1109.99
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!