iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diggin it. YES I CAN!

Started by Jeff, December 06, 2022, 01:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Hey, I need a tractor with a backhoe, or something, that can excavate and move dirt. I have a small pond I want to expand, water lines to bury deeper, and drainage ditches to clean and trails to level and maintain. I've got no money, but I have Mr. Truck and a mustang. Mr. Truck was never even started this year, the mustang is a dang hotrod that I do not understand. As much as that truck means to me, It is a waste, and it is sad. My interests are all n the U.P. now. Any suggestions on where to turn or what to do?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Jeff
There is a "for sale" forum here.  8)  :snowball: :snowball:

A place to start. 

;D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

47sawdust

An older 2wd backhoe can be had relatively cheap.The terrain at your cabin looks manageable with 2wd.
Not such a good time of year to be selling the Mustang or Mr. Truck, but you never know.
I have good luck buying/selling on CL here in Vermont.
I stay away from ads that mention "awesome" or guys that wear there hats backwards.
Best of luck to you,your videos from the U.P. show how good it is for you.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Jeff

DDW_OR

how about renting an excavator for a month

"let the machines do the work"

olcowhand

@Jeff , Is Mr. Truck the flatbed that you use for the Door Prizes during the Pig Roast? Asking for a sentimental friend....
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Jeff

Hilltop366

Any video I have seen of your cabin the land looks wet a lot of the year so it would be a dry season job because old backhoes are heavy, the Case one we have is around 15000 lbs It likes to make ruts in anything soft at all. 

If all you have is a couple of smaller jobs I would sell the mustang and hire an excavator, it would not take one very long to do the job and you will have money left over.

Like I said we have an older Case 580 and with 3 different people using it on 6 different properties which include ½ mile of driveway and 3 small parking lots and backup for snow removal I doubt it gets more than 25 hours a year and a lot of the work could be done with a tractor so as handy as it is like your old vehicles it sits around most of the time.

Now if you have lots of jobs over a while planned and you don't mind working on old gear maybe an old backhoe is for you. Some parts are reasonable others are worth more than the whole machine then you have a 15000 lb lawn ornament.

Magicman

I watched you rebuild Mr Truck from the ground up and now watching the "rerun" on the video was quite interesting.

I wish you the best with whatever decision you make and whatever opportunity presents itself.  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

I wondered whatever happened to the Mustang... (guess you better slow your Mustang down). smiley_guitarist ;D

Depends how much work you have to do, a rental is good if you only have a day or two's work. After that the charges start adding up and it makes sense to buy your own machine. I owned a John Deere 310A backhoe for years and have rented different mini excavators for projects. I'm always looking what's for sale and hope to own my own mini-ex someday (have missed my backhoe since I sold it) if you got something specific in mind to look for let me know. smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Peter Drouin

Sell your house and move to the U.P. With all the $$ from the house, you can set yourself up just the way you want.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

You explain that to Tammy who has decided she is exactly where she wants to be. If you can convince her to do that your a better man than I and I'll give you the mustang.

Id do it yesterday.

beenthere

Jeff,  you built Tammy a very nice comfortable home place and where she wants to be. You maybe did too well. Hope you find a mutual solution. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Thats exactly what the deal is. I suspect she might not think I still have it in me to one up this place. 

Southside

Well you could tell her it's a Kansas wheat farm or the UP, I will cover for you when she calls.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

Quote from: DDW_OR on December 06, 2022, 04:28:59 PM
how about renting an excavator for a month
Or trading some milling for a couple of days of hire for a decent machine? 
A decent excavator and operator can do a LOT of work in a day. Not cheap per hour, but they can dig a lot of drain or make a decent pond in a day. Guy we used to hire had ~12 ton machine, that could be moved on a regular truck, so he could turn up, do a days work and take the machine home again. Heavier machines meant a low loader and extra cost added to a small job, but if you needed a heap of dirt moved, a 20 ton is the machine. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Walnut Beast

You said it! You love that place! Get that car and truck listed in hemmings ! Get your new toys! You will use that stuff all the time and be happy! The problem is not having your own is when you need it you won't have it. You've got a lot of work your going to be doing around there. Whatever you get it will pay for itself. It's always nice to have something and not depend on somebody else. Especially when you want to do it. And it will have a little value when or if you sell it.

beenthere

QuoteWhatever you get it will pay for itself.

Regardless, it will pay you back in more than money: like fun, entertainment, accomplishment, and enjoyment.

Speaking of which I realize how much fun and entertainment, along with knowledge, just being a small part of this Forestry Forum. With that in mind, I'm in for $100 to Jeff for his venture towards a working backhoe. Anyone else?
south central Wisconsin

rusticretreater

Ah, the continuing rocky road of life leads to a detour to Detour Village. :)
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

olcowhand

Quote from: beenthere on December 07, 2022, 12:46:30 AMI'm in for $100 to Jeff for his venture towards a working backhoe. Anyone else?

I'm in- same $$$
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

47sawdust

Money is in the mail plus a video my wife found called "How to run a backhoe" She won't be watching it.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Peter Drouin

When you live in one place a long time, it's hard to leave. When I lost Ann. Some said sell and get a smaller place. This was raw land when Ann and I got it. We built everything here 40 years ago. I thought about it, even called a Realtor. Found out I could get crazy $$$$ for it. But, my hart sank thinking of leaving. No way I could leave. Looking around, I see Ann in the things she did over the years here.
In fact, all her stuff is still here in the house. 4 years now Dec 4 at 8.30 pm.
Maybe that's what Tammy is thinking, Having spent a lifetime to build what she wanted and not have the will to start over.
Starting over at 20 years old is easy, at 60+ is not.
Best of luck looking for a backhoe.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

upnut

Thought about this on my farm walkabout today.....Ducks Unlimited

HOW CAN DUCKS UNLIMITED HELP? A wetland restoration or enhancement project may seem like a difficult task to undertake. Fortunately, government agencies and private organizations such as Ducks Unlimited (DU) are available for technical and financial assistance. For example, DU contributes to numerous private land restorations by handling project costs, offering wetland protection in perpetuity through conservation easement contracts, providing consultation with biologists and supplying engineering design and construction services. Our conservation efforts extend well beyond the realm of waterfowl to benefit over 900 species of wildlife (including numerous species listed as threatened and endangered), improve water quality and promote ecosystem health across the continent.

May be more than you are interested in, but food for thought.

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

WV Sawmiller

Sounds to me like you need to change the venue of the pig roast to the UP and tell all attendees to bring their shovels and closer attendees can bring their Skid steers and FELs. Have everything marked out prioritized and make a work day out of it. Lots of folks I know do things like that every year with their deer camps and such and everyone has a good time cutting grass, brush, firewood and making repairs. Just because people are working doesn't mean they can't socialize and have a good time.

Sounds to me like there should be plenty of camping spaces nearby. I can send you a design for composting toilets if you need to make some more. ;) Remember - the crescent moon is a ladies toilet and a sunburst is for males. ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

I have self debated on having the pigroast become a potluck one year and have it at the cabin. Problem really would be lodging. When it's dry, I have plenty, but when it aint, high spots are valued.

Thank You Sponsors!