iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Traveling Abroad - Part 2

Started by Ljohnsaw, May 02, 2023, 06:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Having enjoyed my adventures in Italy, Croatia and Spain this past March and April, I wanted more.

Seeing the pile of snow remaining at my cabin project, the conditions were right. That's my SkyTrak poking out in the near shadow.

So, made plans to meet my son in Dublin, Ireland this Friday, May 5th and spend 3 nights at most and 2 at a couple places as we tour clockwise around the Emerald Isle for three weeks.

Sitting in SFO airport, taking a 10 hour non-stop to Dublin.

Let the fun begin!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Wow Sir, you have struck Gold visiting with your Son.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

Enjoy John.  Ireland is a beautiful place with wonderful people.  We really enjoyed the castles and the countryside.  My favorite movie ever is "The Quiet Man" and was filmed in a town called Cong in County Galway and County Mayo.  I loved seeing the filming sites.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

JD Guy

Looking forward to your new adventure  8)

Ljohnsaw

First stop in Ireland is Inniskeen. Nice little b&b along a river. 

A quick bite for dinner. A donor kabob.

A very old church and tower with a 'chip and putt' 18 hole course covering the same amount of land that one hole of a normal golf course.

John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Heading out today after the innkeeper made a traditional Irish breakfast. Sausage, egg, bacon, potato and mushroom. Awesome.

First stop a castle ruins.

And another.

Next stop a castle ruins hiding behind a castle resort facility.

Then on to a church ruin. It said the roof was blown off back in the 16 or 1700s and a large number of people were killed. Sounds like a tornado to me.

Had to check out the cathedral in town after lunch.

Then a bit of a drive to a harbor for another ruin an medieval town, well, some buildings.

I did miss a turn and saw acres of remesh mats!

The. Castle overlooking the harbor.  

It was closed for repairs.

I think this city gate is called the Tholsel.

And an old building.

John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

I can't seem to get to the tree of the day thread. So, what is this. They are all over here, north of Dublin. These were about four foot in diameter.

John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

I had already visited Swords Castle in Swords, Ireland before I picked up my son at Dublin airport. But, swung by on the way back to the b&b. Free!

Saturday we went down to another b&b near New Cross. We didn't stop anywhere on the way. Went to see the Dunbrody Famine Experience. This replica of the ship used to take immigrants across the pond during the potato famine on 1865-1869.

Sunday we drove down to Wexford to see Johnstown Castle. Amazing history related by an excellent guide. Beautiful grounds.

Waterford crystal, of course! 

A 87 meter tunnel to bring the staff and supplies into the castle so they wouldn't be seen. 

Plus, a huge museum of period equipment and household stuff. 

We then went up to Enniscorthy to see the castle there. Neat but just a home made in an old, small (30'x50'?) footprint. Shots from the roof. 

The sign posted in the lift.

Town cathedral.

Fun sign. The small gold print at the top.

John Sawicky

thecfarm

The manpower to build all that!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JD Guy

John, I'm not exactly sure on the tree ID but do remember when we were in France some years back there were lots of big trees and they were referred to as "Plane trees" . It was explained that they were equivalent to our Sycamore.

Ljohnsaw

Monday's adventures.

Kilkenny Castle, Kilkenny, Ireland

A 50 minute drive from our last accommodations. Nice, big castle with a lot of family lineage. Not a lot of furniture, but a lot of paintings.

The hall of paintings.

Hammer beams.  

Some really nice tables.

Extinct moose head found in the bogs. Hanging at it's actual height.  

The cathedral in Kilkenny.

Then a hour + drive to Dunbrody Abbey with a great hedge maze. They also had a 9 hole 'chip and putt' but didn't do that.

And our next stop for 3 nights

John Sawicky

Walnut Beast

Fantastic pictures! Thanks for sharing 

Ljohnsaw

Last couple days we did Waterford Crystal Factory tour. (in Waterford)

Lismore Castle Gardens tour (in Lismore)

Private home so no inside shots. 

Titanic Experience Museum in Cobh (pronounced Cove, there is no 'v' in the Irish alphabet)

In the cathedral.

Blarney Castle & Gardens (in Blarney)

John Sawicky

thecfarm

Thank you.
But have to ask, Murder Hole??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

So when invaders broke thru the outer door into a vestibule, the defenders would attack from a small opening (above) with boiling oil, spears or swords.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Staying 3 nights in a pretty nice hostel in Killarney. Went and toured the Ross Castle. Not named for a family but rather the geographic area. Irish word for peninsula. No pictures were allowed inside. 🫡

Rental boats. Wind howling, white caps. No thanks!

Ross Castle is actually a tower castle, the most common in Ireland. Basically a single family home. There are over 3,500 castles/ruins! Not a lot of the big ones.

The back part was the barracks built by the English when they occupied it in the 1600s.

Model in the history room as we waited for the tour time.

(Real pictures, don't tell anyone)
Lowest level for cooking.

Barracks for the guards. Couldn't sneak any pics 😕

Sleeping quarters for the family and a few servants. (Couldn't sneak any)🫤  They tracked down an original piece of furniture from about 1460. A blanket chest that was probably set at the foot of the master's bed. Still had the lock on it.

The master's office off the sleeping quarters.

Top floor, main dining/ entertaining room.

Pantry/food prep area.

Loft for ministerials above pantry.

A very tight spiral staircase is the only way in or out. Right hand or clockwise going up. That gave the defense better ability to brandish swords against invaders. Those coming up would have a very difficult time using their right hand with a sword.

Also, called stumble steps. They purposely made the rise and run vary to make attackers rushing up the steps stumble!

A really nice door design. The studs are like big cotter pins. The ends split open and flush with the back of the door. Picture of the back didn't come out.

Long story but a wealthy business man from Philadelphia bought the castle ruins in 1970. He donated back to Ireland with the stipulation that it be restored and opened to the public. Twenty years to complete the restoration.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Did a bunch yesterday. First stop Killarney House. Actually the stable as the house burnt down several times. Excellent audio visual displays showing the geological, cultural and historical changes over in time. Not a lot of photos but I this cool inlay work.

Then the Muckross House. Winding self tour with a few guides speaking of some aspects of its history. Passages and doors everywhere.

Lots of gardens. 

Birch grafted to ? :D 

Nearby, the Muckross Abbey. Better pics of the door design.

Awesome Yew tree growing in the middle of the courtyard. 

Then a road trip to the little town of Kenmare. Barely 2 lane road and meeting up with tour buses!

Stone circle. 

A cathedral. 

Look at those hammer beams! 

John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Today's plan was to go to Inch Beach on the Dingle Peninsula and then whatever we find. A short 30 minute drive through some fabulous countryside.

Nice white sand on an extremely flat beach. The water drains back into the Atlantic very slowly. Perfect for skim boarding!

A couple km later we were in Dingle.

Next we drove about 10 minutes to the Gallarus Oratory. A stone building about 1300 years old. Dry stacked stone all with a slight outward slope so no rainwater leaks in.

Then off to a an old Riasc Monastic Settlement. I think the locals used the stones for their sheep fences over the centuries!

Finally, an old church, Cill Maoilchéadair.

Roman influence. 

The alphabet stone. 

All in all, a fun day.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

On the drive from Killarney to Ennis made a quick stop in Newcastle West and saw the Desmond Dining Hall and tower. A 15th century structure built on a 13th century foundation.

A good example of the hinges I want to forge.

Not a lot to see in Ennis. Quick bite and then a partially restored Abbey.

John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Things I've noticed.

Everyone drives on the wrong side of the road,!😁

The businesses in order:
Pubs
B&Bs
Ice cream shops
Places to eat

The main roads in Italy are better.
There are very few named roads, most are numbered. The main toll roads a M1 to M11 all originating out of Dublin. Then there's the N roads. From 1 to 99 so far.

Connecting those are the R roads, usual 3 digits followed by the L roads, usually 4 digits. Keep in mind that the Rs and Ls are short connectors between property corners of large original land grants, so it seems.

And nothing is straight. Being cloudy most of the time, I loose track of north combined with roads that seemingly all curve in the same direction, I feel like I'm going in circles!

Houses 'for rent' are 'for let'. If they are for sale and are 'sale pending', they are 'sale agreed'. Gas or gasoline is petrol. Gas pumps are green and diesel is black, opposite of what we have in California.

Road signs are nice. In italics on top in Irish, regular font in English. Then the furthest town is on top, nearest on the bottom. If an exit is not a town but a road that takes you to a town, then that town is in parentheses. Instead of saying ' to'.

It's 10 pm and still light out!
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Today's trip back to Limerick to see King John's Castle, St. Mary's Cathedral, and St. John's Cathedral.

Then to a 'theme park' 🤗 The Bunratty Castle and Family Park. An amazing large square castle where I think we climbed to the top of each tower. Lots of period furniture and wall coverings.

The family park had about 20 houses and shops that represented structures from the 14th to 19th centuries.

And a fairy village!

John Sawicky

firefighter ontheside

I remember Bunratty Castle.  It was the first thing we went to see after arriving in Ireland since we landed in Shannon.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

Yes, Bunratty Castle is a must see!

Got out a little earlier today and got to Dunguaire Castle just as it opened. Neat little tower house that was restored back in the 90s. They host medieval dinners there that apparently has a stage show.

Then off to another tower house that the internet showed was covered in ivy back in 2015. Well, they cut it back and fenced it off as it's falling apart.

A long, windy drive to Kylemore Abbey. Still an active abbey so parts of the house closed off.

The owner built a miniature cathedral for his wife. Happy wife, happy life! 

Wonderful walled garden that once had a lot of greenhouses that provided tropical fruits like bananas.

How many saw logs do you see?

A long drive back to our next B&B. Turns out our host went to the school at Kylemore Abbey!
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Staying in Castlebar, county Mayo. Really nothing to see here which is a first. B&B owner recommended going out to Achill Island. It started raining on our way there. First real taste of Irish Weather. Cold, windy and wet.

Found a place to buy. Come with wool rugs. 😅

But didn't last long and the California sun was back!

John Sawicky

jasonb

Ireland is on my list.  Maybe in 2 years paired with my return trip to London.

I will be going to Austria in August and will make a thread and hopefully update daily.

I hope yall had a great vacation.
HM122

Thank You Sponsors!