iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year, '23-'24

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2023, 09:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Well, it's time to put that old thread to bed and start a new one because it was getting kind of long and had run 2 years instead of the normal single year. I just read-read the first post in that last thread and everything I said there still applies, so I am just pasting in that opening section here, not much has changed.
------------------
"Well Today is Norwegian Constitution Day, a large holiday in Norway, something like out 4th of July here in the states. Lots of parades, traditional dress, and other celebrations. One of these days maybe I will get there to see it myself. But for a Norwegian, it is no small honor to have my birthday on that date also. As has been my tradition the last 2 years, I start a new thread on this day, just because it is a date I can remember. I don't want the server to get too bogged down with my never ending drivel which at this point is something like 29 page in the old thread, which can be found here: Staying Busy and Out of Trouble '20-'21.  (The one prior to that can be FOUND HERE.) I thought long on the title for this one but could not find anything suitable so settled for what you see. Maybe I will modify it later when I think of something catchy.
It still amazes me that so many folks read and respond to my pitiful offerings here. Because its my b'day and because I have been feeling a little down the last few days because I am so tired, I have been thinking a lot about my dwindling ability to produce physical work on a consistent basis. It sucks to get old. Don't get me wrong, I know I have many blessing's that others may not enjoy. I am healthy and have no medical issues that I am aware of, I don't even have any prescriptions to take daily. I do have a shop, and some decent tools, and I have managed to find some good clients. I found this forum which has exposed me to a lot of the details and knowledge that I had been lacking and provided some amazing and generous mentors to answer my questions. I would not be where I am right now without it, that is for certain. In fact, I have even gotten a couple of personal messages already this morning wishing me a good day, so thanks for that. You guys are nicer to me than I deserve. Each of these blessings is a big thing that many would love to have and I should be grateful for that everyday and I think I am. But I am having trouble staying up with the workload I have developed. In addition, the work demands some investments in better equipment and I am not too interested in jumping up to large trucks and heavy equipment that I know in a few years I would be working to pay for in repairs and upkeep while getting even slower myself. I am still searching for that balance between making some extra money to keep us afloat, and building something that becomes a beast I have to work everyday to feed. I don't mean to whine or give the impression I am feeble. My ability to work is still a lot better than a lot of other folks. My neighbor across the road can't keep up with me for an hour, let alone a day, and he 'works out' nearly everyday and is at least 15 years younger than me. I am just not happy with what I can produce compared to my expectations of what I should produce. Working in the woods puts you in a situation where the environment doesn't give you a break based on your age. It treats everyone the same and will hurt you quick if you let your guard down.
Maybe I am just thinking about all this stuff too much. "
---------------------------------------------------------------
 So it's time for a new thread. I've decided to take Ray's advice and keep the same title and just change the years.
 Thanks to everyone who sent birthday wishes either in the previous thread or in a PM. It's not a big day for me, except for the National Holiday part, I do like that part. We are off to do the monthly food shopping in a few minutes and when we get back that latest video should have finished uploading so I can get that posted here. Sorry this one came out a bit longer, but I ran into some 'issues' and had a small disaster in the process and I included it all.  I haven't even checked on the bar yet this morning, a little slow getting started today.
 It's another new year, let's see if I make it through this one. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

21incher

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Roundhouse

Happy Birthday. I always enjoy this thread even if I rarely have time to post a reply. I've heard a new thread described as flipping to the cool side of the pillow.
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Wlmedley

Happy birthday Tom, I always enjoy reading about your escapades.Getting old sucks,takes me a week to do what I used to do in a weekend but it's better than the alternative  :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Old Greenhorn

Yes, indeed, it beats the heck out of the alternative for sure. I had heard a long time ago that one of the good parts of being old is that it doesn't last very long. I didn't understand that then, but I do now. ;D
 In my opening post I should have put a link to the thread preceding this one so that historical researchers would have an easier time a century from now. :D ;D SO here is the prior thread.
--------------
 No sense putting off the inevitable, here is the latest video, wherein Tom makes a mistakes, corrects it, and follows that up with a disaster, which he also saves. It is the cluster that is my life some days in many ways. 

The Bar Episode 18 - YouTube

Not sure what I am going to kill the rest of the day with yet. Lots of options.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

terrifictimbersllc

Your birthday? Had no idea you were getting older. Happy birthday 🎈🎉🎁🎊🎂 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

trimguy

Nebraska

Before the rest of today slips on by me, Happy Birthday, I hope it was a good one.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

Old Greenhorn

Don, all I know is I made it through and I am still breathing. ;D
 Thanks everyone, I do appreciate the B'day wishes. Really, it's just another work day. I don't particularly look forward to making note that I have one year less to go. ;D Frankly I feel old everyday with all the aches and pains and reduced capacity. It takes me an hour to 'get right' every morning. But I know that's just part of life. Yeah Dennis, I am reminded nearly every minute that I am getting older, all I have to do is move. :D

But that was yesterday and today is a new day. The sun is shining and the temp is 34°, up from 31 over night. I have a full day of honest work in front of me so I might as well get at it, right?

ron barnes

aigheadish

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: aigheadish on May 18, 2023, 07:11:47 AM
Following!
OK, it's your choice. I can't be held responsible if I lead you astray. :D

Old Greenhorn

Catching up here, it's been a routine week with steady work. Mostly I am working on the bar trying to get it completed and it is nearly so. I will contact the client today and ask them to come by and see if they think it is done. I am working on polishing out the top and edges to get everything to be an optical match, but dang that is hard! Light strikes things in odd ways and if you look at it from one angle it's great and another angle, its not quite great. I had my main mushroom log client here yesterday picking up logs and I asked him to take a look at it and tell me honestly if he thought it was done. I really needed another opinion.
 Forum rules do not permit me to use the words he expressed when he saw it. Yes, he thought is was done. :D Even when I pointed out the issues I saw he scoffed at me, but those spots, I can't let go of until they are better. I asked what he thought the bar might be worth and he thought it depended on the sale market (which we all know is the big killer) but he thought with a reasonable sale market area it should be somewhere around $20k. ;D Yeah, well, I wish. Heck, I'd be very happy with 25% of that. I just don't have the market for those numbers.
 I have done so much sanding and polishing this week that I have messed up the muscles in my hands pretty good and if I grip objects in a certain way the pain goes right to my ears and toes like lightening. I am alternating with doing firewood, which doesn't help much. I still have some compounding yet to go today and then we'll see.
 The cool front that's been here for 3 days has me starting daily fires in the shop which allows me to burn up chips and chunks from the splitting operation. It was 73 out there last night and is 64 now. I get it up to 70 in less than 20 minutes, so easy to do and gets rid of junk wood. I want that epoxy to cure up completely and really well.
 I have been messing with various polishing materials and polishing pads trying to find the best formula. Wound up getting a full set of 8" foam pads from HF and am considering a new RO polishing tool, but this isn't a frequent thing for me. I'll do it continuously for a week or 3, then put it all in a box and not touch it for a year or more.
 I also did some improvements on my sanding dust collection which did a great job of keeping things cleaner. In the course of that I had the 'vacuum hose escapade' which I posted a video of in another thread. Frankly I have to say that I am very disappointed in the response. I pretty much made that video for the entertainment value for FF members and the inevitable ensuing discussion. I remain befuddled as to the underwhelming response. Only Doc and Trimguy responded to the video. The only thing I can guess is that the right players have not seen it because I posted it in a thread about ROS's and a lot of members only read certain subjects (I read them all). So here is the link again just in case you missed it:

Screaming Vacuum Hose - YouTube

Now I should say that I know now what is causing this, but I won't reveal that until I see what others think. I didn't figure it out until I was editing the video and heard a hint or two in there. I'll share it after I hear from the experts and the design committee. 

Time to get some work done.

Old Greenhorn

Wow really! Here too? I really thought that vacuum thing was funny but I see that I was woefully wrong. ;D Nobody even asked what the cause was. Geez, I am disappointed in youse guyz. :D ;D
-------------------
Follow-up on that backhoe that was near the end of the other thread which I thought Bill had bought. Well it turns out that Bill's best buddy CJ had bought it...for $1,200. which explains why CJ stuck with him getting the trailer tires replaced on the roadside. They just brought it to Bill's place so CJ could work on it. Starts and runs pretty good, all the cylinders they have tried so far are functioning fine with no leaks. He has fixed some minor stuff here and there, but more to go. SO far, so good. Not a bad deal from what I see. I thought @terrifictimbersllc might be interested to hear that.
------------------
I had the Bar client come by yesterday to see what he thought of the bar and help me decide if it was finished. It is. I had already shot the (as it turns out) final video. Delivery will be in a few weeks and I'll try to get some better photos outdoors.
Today, I edited the video up, then while it was processing, I went to the mill and did a few logs, then came back and started the uploading and ran out to a mushroom workshop. When I got back I finished it off, then went out in the shop and lost total track of time.
So here is the LAST episode in that series that Trimguy has been waiting for. :D

The Bar, Episode 19, Conclusion - YouTube

The new 'project' that made me lose track of time was this:

This has been in my shop, stuffed in various corners in varying states of assembly for over 20 years. Always used as a metal bandsaw, but I can take it out of back gears and rev it up for wood. I just never had time, but now it would be handy. I seem to have lost the blade guard/cover which was a big chunk of cast iron. I've also lost the 'puck' that goes in the table around the blade. I'll have to make one. I have no wood blades just fine blades for steel, so I am looking for a supplier and wondering what the right tooth pitch is for wood blades. This is set up for 1/2" blades which seem to be 9'4" long (112") and has a 16" throat and I think it might cut about 8" thick. It should be fine for a few projects. I have to reset the table, make the puck, and rewire the motor. Something to fill a day or two.
Any suggestions for blades or suppliers?
Tomorrow is another day.

Wlmedley

Tom,the suspense is killing me.How come that vacuum made so much noise?
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Old Greenhorn

You know how to keep a sawyer in suspense?

I'll tell you later.

;D

Actually I'm glad you asked that so we can put it to bed. Turns out there is a difference between vacuum hose and discharge hose. If you look at a vacuum hose you will see that the ribs are spiral, this causes the air to flow in a venture (spiral) pattern. On the discharge hose the ribs are annular, meaning they are perpendicular to the centerline of the hose. They do not connect, each rib is it's own single rib. This creates a turbulent flow in the air which is not conducive to good airflow, but fine for water running through it. It's been a long time since I worked with computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and so it didn't hit me right away, but eventually, it was pretty darn obvious.
The noise is fine on the tool but still intolerable as just a vacuum hose alone. I'll order a proper hose the next time I get a chance, but now I'm on the bandsaw thing. ;D

aigheadish

1200 bucks for the backhoe is way cheap! Nice. Mine sprung a pretty good leak from the big boom cylinder yesterday, now I've got to hunt for someone to come out and fix it, for I don't have the tools or time or expertise.

Bandsaws are mighty handy. I was attempting to cut some diamond plate (presumably aluminum) with a sawzall that ended up cutting poorly, bending blades like crazy, and just not working out. I looked at the clearance of the bandsaw and gave it a try, man, it cut through like butter! I usually use it for wood but there have been a couple times where I've eased into some metal and it always does great, even for a cheap hand-me-down saw.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

aigheadish

Nebraska

Ok that makes sense as I have heard a similar thing when I made an insulation vacuum out of a leaf blower years ago to remove the vermiculite insulation over a bedroom in my attic. I used 4 inch tile pipe as a discharge hose and blew it into wagon.  Lower frequency noise but similar.  I wouldn't want to run your "screamer vac" without hearing protection..

terrifictimbersllc

Nice acquisition on the backhoe. I'd be jealous, but at present, my ambitions are limited by zoning.

I've mostly bought my 14" shop bandsaw  blades at Lee Valley tool, and have been satisfied with them.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Old Greenhorn

Well, not much to report from my tiny corner of the world. Been feeling guilty all week because I should be knocking some stuff out at the mill. I did get down there around Monday afternoon or so when Bill was there for a few minutes. Together we picked and pulled some hemlock logs for the pending orders and I grabbed the tool cat and cleaned up all the slabs from the mill so I have a clean deck to start with. He had snuck through a big cottonwood log to make up side boards for his new dump body and I still have two slabs laying on the mill to rip one straight edge on for side boards on another truck, I forget which one. I'll just make one straight edge on them both, then lay them somewhere to the side until he has time to mount them up.

I've been getting sucked into firewood duty, just because the weather is pretty nice and I had a big pile of not so great logs to buck, split, and stack. I have 3 cords by the shop now (I measured tonight) so I need one more there. Today I fetched up two Red Maple logs I was going to mill and two ash logs I had sitting next to the mill and bucked them all. I split until I couldn't fit anymore on the trailer, moved that over to the house (this was much better wood than the previous stuff) and stacked that. I got the trailer back by the splitter around 5pm and it's ready to load again. I figure I have a half load worth already bucked up, then I have to grab a couple of RO logs off my milling pile that really should have been firewood in the fir place, They've been sitting up on top for 2 years. Hopefully they dry quick when I open them up. I have to keep at it. I don't like stacking by the house, it takes much longer than shop stacking because I have to take several steps with each armload of wood. By the shop it goes right from trailer to stack in one swing without moving my feet. Stacking for the house is just drudgery in my mind.
--------------------------
 Yesterday I was taking a break in the shop at the end of the day and eying up a short slab that I cut off the slab I made the boys school bus bench out of. This piece is badly cupped and I had been thinking about how @tule peak timber  had mentioned a year or two ago how he 'breaks' badly cupped slabs and planes, straightens them and re-glues them back together again. I thought "What the heck, it's a good experiment or at worst, something to laugh at myself about". SO I laid out a line that followed the belly of the cup and ripped it in half. Now I am studying it and trying to decide on how I will plane this flat using some shims. The whole thing will just be learning through playing. If it winds up in the stove, oh well. :D Kind of like a 'between jobs' project to see if I can pull something like this off. I have a set of Singer Sewing machine legs this might make a nice top on. IF it comes out right.
-------------------
 Tomorrow I really need to get some time in at the mill. I have been saying that all week, then wind up doing firewood. But frankly, my back is about shot, so the mill should give me a bit of a break. We also have our monthly pot-luck dinner at Bill's tomorrow night with my wife, daughter, SIL, and Bill and his partner. If I don't spend time at the mill tomorrow it will be hard for me to face him in the evening. ;D I've got to at least knock out the 2x12 order of hemlock.

So just another boring routine week here. But it's still a lot better than sitting in a conference room discussing what colors to put on a spreadsheet. :D

Wlmedley

Tom,If you lived a little closer I would make you a good deal on a new woodshed  :laugh:

Thank You Sponsors!