iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Oak in the Hood

Started by MemphisLogger, July 03, 2005, 02:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MemphisLogger

Homeowner (neighbor of another monster Oak we sawed) calls and says she wants to have her Oak "treecycled"--needs a new entry door, headboard, tables, etc.

I go have a looksy and introduce myself to the 60"+ behemoth . . .

Sure glad Austin got his new truck--otherwise we'd hafta quarter it onsite just to get it on a trailer . . .

We had to quarter it on the truck and fork down the quarters one at a time  8)

Here's one of the quarters on the mill . . .

Another shot for scale (and I have a big head)  ;) . . .

Hmmm, lookin' good . . .

Here's Austin using some of his favorite beverage  ??? to share a look at the figure on this baby . . .

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

iain

Nice looking stick whatcha get out of it?

iain

MemphisLogger

Finishin' the other 2 quarters today--I'll let you know ;D

Had to take a 10 hour detour to Arky's to get some cedar since all I had was 20" wide slabs and I couldn't bring myself to rippin' 'em up into 2xs.  :-[

David and Rene fixed us up with lunch and lumber . . . well worth the drive  ;) 8)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Buzz-sawyer

Did you top and haul thatwhole tree for free?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

tnlogger

buzz i hope not that one almost needed chet down there  ;D
gene

MemphisLogger

Nah, Buzz  :o

We only show up when the arborist is ready to crane the logs onto truck or trailer  ;D

I'll keep track of the wood through drying and give the client a break on the wood when I do the commissions. What they're interested in will only use up 400 or 500 bf.

The rest of it--I'm guessing we'll get around 1200 bf of good wood--will get used in other commissions where it's costed at retail value, studio pieces or sold to another woodworker.   

Buzz-sawyer

I remember that being your rule ;) :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

MemphisLogger

So far, we've never paid to take a log and even when we fell it, we get paid for it.

Our biggest problem is that some of our arborists are starting to see the value and they won't give us the best Walnuts and Cherries. Instead, they bring 'em over to our shop and have us saw them up for them  :-\

If'n I make the cabinets or furniture for 'em, I guess it all comes out right.   

ARKANSAWYER

Glad to see that you made it home all right!  Did you add to the Boys in Blue fund any more on the return trip. :D    Is that the tree from which my little boards came from?  They are on stickers now under tin waiting for time to pass.
  They should level Memphis and turn it into a tree farm as it grows such good trees.
ARKANSAWYER

Tobacco Plug

Urban Logger,
Was there any tramp metal in that tree?  I am sure that even if there was, you got enough good lumber to make up any loss.  It sure looked pretty in your pics! 8)
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Weekend_Sawyer

I was wondering about nails and such from a front yard tree too.

I am also interested in hearing about your contirbutions to the Boys in Blue ???
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

mometal77

Scott sure does look like a nice tree.  With asplundh around here when i was working for them we would just fall the trees in the front yards and it was the owners responsiblity.  I go through town after they have been in certain spots and find some nice big cedar trees still in peoples yards.  No one wants or has a big enough chainsaw and not enough burn wood in the city hehe.. I cant wait to get my set up up and running.
Also with metal detection wally world has some in expensive metal detectors and do  a search on metal detectors.  There has been some nice pics in the past of what people tried to chew on with there blades. 
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

MemphisLogger

We sawed another quarter today and no tramp metal yet--we had to quit after Austin spilled all his beverage and we couldn't see the wood anymore.  ;)

We usually do good with the Oaks--any metal in them has totally oxidized away before we get to it  ;D

The Walnuts are another story. I don't think I've sawed more'n 3 that didn't have something shiny in it  >:(

I don't think I've driven across Arkansas yet that I haven't been asked to contribute by a uniformed revenuer.  :(

Musta passed a dozen or more flags, signs and tractors that had "Get 'er Done" blazed across them  :D

No nails in this Walnut . . .   

sigidi

Wow Scott,

thats a beauty!!!
Always willing to help - Allan

oldsaw

Our last couple have been.  >:( or :'( I can't decide which.  Okay, I'll take the  :'(, and reserve the  >:( for the nail filled walnut we just tackled a couple of weeks ago.  Except that I felt more  :'( when I looked at the remainder of my chain.

Nice log.  Nice work.  Keep it up.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

MemphisLogger

Oldsaw,

I feel your  :'(

If I'm sawing 15" wide FAS Walnut, I don't mind running over a few nails with a $15 blade that you can swap out in 2 minutes but I absolutely dread the thought of hitting a nail in the heart of a 60"er with my ripping chain  >:(

Wish I lived in the country so I could use the Arky method of quartering--'specially on the 4th of July  ;)

;D

Tobacco Plug

Does the Arky method of quartering involve the use of black powder?   ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o 8) 8) 8)
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

MemphisLogger

Shhh . . . you'll get us sent off to Siberia  ;)

SwampDonkey

Urbanlogger,

Ya gotta learn to  :-X :-X :-X with the Arborists so they don't put a crimp on your aquisitions. ;)

That's a bee-yoot of an oak.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!