The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Historic Logging and Milling Photos  (Read 184414 times)

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
Re: Historic Logging and Milling Photos
« Reply #620 on: November 22, 2021, 07:54:33 AM »
There was a cord wood flume on the mountain here made from heavy sheet metal, in use in the '40's. They cut 4' hard wood and sent it to N.Y. for ship ballast the got sold somewhere.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #621 on: November 22, 2021, 09:58:28 AM »
Lumber Was King In Michigan

In 1837, 435 sawmills were active in Michigan, and by 1873, when lumbering activity in Wexford County (Cadillac, MI area) was just getting started, their existerd over 1600 sawmills in the state.

To date, almost 50 sawmills can be attributed to Wexford County.

Michigan ranked number one in lumber production in the late 1800's, with 1890 being the peak year, producing 4,250 billion board feet. By 1899, much of the pine had been harvested and Michigan slipped in ranks to number two. By 1911, Michigan had dropped to number 10. By the early 1930s the timbering was all but over.
Just plucking away at this old thread and am struck by these stats.  Really illustrates just how fast man kind can deplete a resource when they really put their mind to it.  A practice we should all do our part to retire by employing management strategies that leave some meat on the bone for the generations to come. 
Isaiah 63:10

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #622 on: November 22, 2021, 12:35:58 PM »
Mike, you and I are from the same territory really. My interest in sawmill machinery [in this area] led to some interest in forestry here. I couldn't understand the reason for the dogs on the old New England style sawmills.  A story in Northern logger explained it.  After the hill farms where abandoned, before the war between the states, the land grew back first i n field trees and that was the wood available as the virgin forests were gone before this time. They sawed box shooks from the pine round edge to the last 1" board and that explained the little underhooks. The hardwood [maple] was long skinny stuff and the old log beam carriage was good for this. Alot of this maple went for heel stock for shoes. Today all those hills are mature forest as no one farms hills anymore. There is more wood now than since the original cutting. Have you ever seen aerial photographs of our area from say 1928?

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #623 on: November 22, 2021, 08:20:00 PM »
No i havent.  Seen some aerial of springfield when s&w went in.. There were fields back then.  Solar field is the only kind left there now. 

Dont remember if i told the story of the guy with a few frick mills for sale. He said when the railroad came through they gave one to every farmer who wanted one and you paid it off in ties.  You keep the sideboards. So thats how a lot of TN turned to pasture 
Isaiah 63:10

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #624 on: November 23, 2021, 06:35:40 AM »
There was a cord wood flume on the mountain here made from heavy sheet metal, in use in the '40's. They cut 4' hard wood and sent it to N.Y. for ship ballast the got sold somewhere.
Was the flume on Storm king Mtn?
I dug around a bit but haven't found anything yet
D

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #625 on: November 23, 2021, 08:59:48 AM »
Was the flume on Storm king Mtn?
I dug around a bit but haven't found anything yet
D
To the s.w. of Storm King is the Black Rock forest that was privately owned back then. You where very close. They also had a hyd. log spliter on a D2 Cat in the early '50's. It all ended, the 4 foot wood, about 1961.  Others in this area sent 4' hardwood to N.Y. I guess it was a common thing at one time. Black rock also ran portable charcoal kilns in their woods, Doug.

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #626 on: November 23, 2021, 09:09:20 AM »
No i havent.  Seen some aerial of springfield when s&w went in.. There were fields back then.  Solar field is the only kind left there now.

Dont remember if i told the story of the guy with a few frick mills for sale. He said when the railroad came through they gave one to every farmer who wanted one and you paid it off in ties.  You keep the sideboards. So thats how a lot of TN turned to pasture
Back in the day a lot of deals where done without money directly.  Land was traded and sometimes given. Landowners gave pieces for the good of the neighborhood. Examples; the school, church, mill, fire house, R.R. spur to the mill and later the ambulance building. People where poor and the haves donated. Much of this has been forgotten.

Offline Tom King

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • HistoricHousePreservation
« Reply #627 on: November 24, 2021, 06:28:16 PM »
No i havent.  Seen some aerial of springfield when s&w went in.. There were fields back then.  Solar field is the only kind left there now.

Dont remember if i told the story of the guy with a few frick mills for sale. He said when the railroad came through they gave one to every farmer who wanted one and you paid it off in ties.  You keep the sideboards. So thats how a lot of TN turned to pasture
That's kind of what happened when they built the lake here.  The power company built it mainly for producing electricity, but they had 20,000 acres to clear.  Vepco would co-sign the loan on a log truck for anyone that wanted one.  You could keep what you got for the wood, but had to pay off the equipment as you went.  That was in 1961-63.  They started flooding the lake in October of 1963.
All the now big loggers around here got their start that way.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Old Logging photos

Started by Raider Bill on Forestry and Logging

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2015, 07:29:44 PM
by deerguy
xx
M6 Turbosawmill Milling (Tree ID) (Now with Photos)

Started by otherguy on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post December 13, 2017, 08:31:08 AM
by drobertson
xx
Logging photos this winter

Started by BEEMERS on Forestry and Logging

26 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 06:50:47 PM
by BEEMERS
xx
Tryin for more logging photos