iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Historic Logging and Milling Photos

Started by Jeff, October 20, 2002, 01:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Quote from: dgdrls on November 23, 2021, 06:35:40 AM
Quote from: moodnacreek on November 22, 2021, 07:54:33 AM
There was a cord wood flume on the mountain here made from heavy sheet metal, in use in the '40's. They cut 4' hard wood and sent it to N.Y. for ship ballast the got sold somewhere.
Was the flume on Storm king Mtn?
I dug around a bit but haven't found anything yet
D
To the s.w. of Storm King is the Black Rock forest that was privately owned back then. You where very close. They also had a hyd. log spliter on a D2 Cat in the early '50's. It all ended, the 4 foot wood, about 1961.  Others in this area sent 4' hardwood to N.Y. I guess it was a common thing at one time. Black rock also ran portable charcoal kilns in their woods, Doug.

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on November 22, 2021, 08:20:00 PM
No i havent.  Seen some aerial of springfield when s&w went in.. There were fields back then.  Solar field is the only kind left there now.

Dont remember if i told the story of the guy with a few frick mills for sale. He said when the railroad came through they gave one to every farmer who wanted one and you paid it off in ties.  You keep the sideboards. So thats how a lot of TN turned to pasture
Back in the day a lot of deals where done without money directly.  Land was traded and sometimes given. Landowners gave pieces for the good of the neighborhood. Examples; the school, church, mill, fire house, R.R. spur to the mill and later the ambulance building. People where poor and the haves donated. Much of this has been forgotten.

Tom King

Quote from: mike_belben on November 22, 2021, 08:20:00 PM
No i havent.  Seen some aerial of springfield when s&w went in.. There were fields back then.  Solar field is the only kind left there now.

Dont remember if i told the story of the guy with a few frick mills for sale. He said when the railroad came through they gave one to every farmer who wanted one and you paid it off in ties.  You keep the sideboards. So thats how a lot of TN turned to pasture
That's kind of what happened when they built the lake here.  The power company built it mainly for producing electricity, but they had 20,000 acres to clear.  Vepco would co-sign the loan on a log truck for anyone that wanted one.  You could keep what you got for the wood, but had to pay off the equipment as you went.  That was in 1961-63.  They started flooding the lake in October of 1963.
All the now big loggers around here got their start that way.

Thank You Sponsors!