iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"throw away" saws

Started by fuzzybear, December 17, 2007, 03:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzybear

I was in a jam this past summer, I was waiting for parts for both of my saws. I had to fill and order for a gov. contract so I bought a poulan 4018, just to buck up 5 cords. I loaded up my bucking station (it holds 1/4 cord of 8') with birch and finished the contract.
    After getting ribbed by a few of the other woodcutters. I decided to see how much I could get out of this "throw away" saw.  Well after dropping and bucking 100 cords the oil pump stopped. So I took it apart and found it had a plastic drive gear. So being that it still ran good and had lots of power, I mixed up some JB Weld and smeared it on, let it set and filed the groves back in and put it all back together.
   That was a month ago, it has run ever since. It always starts on the second pull, even at -30 last week. So I figured this "throw away" saw I paid $175 for has made me a little over $30,000. Not to shabby.
   Now I really think this saw is a "fluke". I have abused it more than I ever did any of my Huskys, and it still runs, even with the factory spark plug.
   Has Any one else ever had one of these "throw away" saws ever suprise you like this?
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Wallys World

I have a bunch of Poulans. I even picked one out of the garbage along the side of the road. It is a Pro 220. A screw come loose on the coil and killed the coil and flywheel. I found one on eBay for $15 + $15 shipping, swapped the parts and that was 2 years ago. I use it when I take out shrubs and bushes and also use it for firewood. All of them get thrown around because they are cheap. I wouldn't dream of abusing my Stihl like that. Being in the part time stump grinding and as I call it destruction business (I'll take out the customers landscape so they can plant new) I roll in with at least 3 saws, one breaks, grab another keep going (usally a chain will throw off, cutting small stuff like shrubs is hard on a chain no matter how tight).  Just keep the right gas mix and bar oil in them and they will run for quite some time. I always (in my spare time, Ha!) get them ready for the next time out.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

mike_van

My wife got a Mac. Eager Beaver for me from someones junk - I use it to cut roots when I dig stumps out.  That poor Beaver's cut  more roots, just keeps going though!  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

weimedog

I've posted about my "Throw Away" saw a few times. The sun The Moon, The Stars, all lined up the right way two almost three years ago now..(My kids wanted to help, I wanted a trail saw, I was bored). SO I eBayed a New In The Box Homelite (To stay in the brand I collect) Ranger. 33cc of plastic amemia. I bought it for 60 bucks plus shipping..I can't remember now the total. It was used as purchesed by my kids & wife with cleaning tops. (We cut a lot around the farm).. Then my wife took it on for carpentry work. I milled boards and she put up a lean to for the horses...that type of work kept it running several hours a week for the next year or so..Then I saw a You Tube "muffler mod" video and did some inquires around the bb's and took the advice of I beleive Al Smith on how to do the same. Re adjusted the carb and ditched the safety chain...NOW it performed ALMOST like a real saw...actually it does very well now with its new setup..and I started using it for a carry saw on the Motorcycle...and this past summer we did a large fencing project. Over 17,000ft. Lots of clearing, trimming posts, just stuff. Other than wearing out several chains (yes we sharpen..) and burning fuel and bar oil..NOTHING has gone wrong. I think I may have $150.00 or so total in that saw over the last three years or so. Its a great little performer and as Homelite says.."Simply Reliable"

I want to try a Poulan as they are supposed to have more power in a similar weight package...maybe a 42cc Wild Thing when this Ranger bites it...but right now its not showing any signs of age or the hours and hours of use with minimal maintenance its survived....
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Tom

One of the handiest saws I ever owned was a Poulan (craftsman) pancake saw that my father-in-law bought so that I could clean the mess out of his yard when that ice storm hit Atlanta in 1963.  I had a 14 inch bar and none of us knew anything about  chainsaws.  the trees that it removed were huge pines in the  25" dia. class.  I know that must have been the size because I could just barely make the saw meet as I cut from both sides.  There was a lot of sawing too.  I had to cut them in small enough pieces that I could pick them up and carry them up the hill to the road.  Rolling was too slow.

He used that saw for firewood until 1970 when he gave it to me as present when I moved to Jacksonville.  I used it for firewood until 1974 when it, my outboard motor and other items were stolen from my carport.   If the thieves didn't destroy it, it's probably still running.   The only problem with the saw was that it was one of those self-sharpening models and I took the assembly off and threw it away. It didn't work and the special chains were expensive.

I replaced it with a Poulan 2028 or something like that. It was a 2.8 cube 20" bar that I used for a couple of year until it was stolen.  It never gave me any trouble.

Then, when I got the property in '84, I got a Mac640 I think was the model.  It was a square saw with a 3.? inch engine. I used it hard and ran my sawmill business with it for 3 years until I bought the Husky 61 in 93.  the Husky was a lot more comfortable and started a lot easier.  the Mac's oiler had gone out again and it quit running along about 1995.  I finally gave it to a neighbor's son who had found a Mac Beaver that looked just like it.  He put the two together and made on engine that he was going to put on his go-kart.  He put it on his bicycle.   I don't know where it is now.

I know that the more expensive saws are better, but I've had some pretty good luck with the home-owner models.  The biggest difference I found with the Husky 61 is that my customers took me as being more professional when I took it out.

isawlogs

I have bought two of um , poulans , one I gave to my dad , the other I tested  ;D

I was told by some friends that those saws could just about take anything  ::)  Well I found out that they dont .  :D  I might of went overboard just a bit .. when I put the log wizzard debarker on it . It did go really good having such a light saw to play with ... but good things come to an end .. the saw died after debarking eight inch bark off of two sides of logs it did take 20 peices to kill it though that would be 'bout 6 hrs of work ... From store to dead ... 14 days .  :-\ :D :D :D

I have a stihl 034 on the debarker , was on there prior to the poulan .

My dads saw is still going , my brother also has one he uses on da farm its on the bike and is mainly used for fencing .
  So I came to the conclusion that they where a great little saw for somebody else to have around .  :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dan_Shade

i think the big difference in "use" is the ease of starting.  I think the more expensive saws have better built carburetors which make them start a little easier, especially after it's been sitting.  but who knows.  I do know most things will work way past when people think they're "shot"...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

LeeB

I've got a little homelite that I bought about 20 years ago. It doesn't get much use any more as I find it too slow, but it has beeen well used and abbused in the past. I forgot it sitting out under the eaves of the house when I went to work one time and when I got back home 2 weeks later it was still siting there in its case totally submerged in water and had been so for the whole time. I pulled the plug and sprayed it full of WD 40 and let it set. Cleaned the plug up, put it back in and fired it up. That was  about 6-7 years ago. Still running on the same old plug.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

rebocardo

I was surprised my Poulan (pull a lot) Wildthing lasted the 200 hours or something that it did because I really abused it splitting firewood. Made me a decent amount of $.

>The only problem with the saw was that it was one of those self-sharpening models

I bought one at a yard sale. It was the most dangerous saw I owned. That self sharp thing can leave a cutter that looks like a fish hook that can snag you. I ditched it for $10.

Tom

You probably ditched a good limbing saw.  taking the stone out of the sharpener and putting a standard chain on the saw makes it a "regular" saw.

rebocardo

I am sure I did, but, I know a lot more now about saws then I did back then   ;)

foresthawk

I have two McCulloch Eager Beaver saws, I think 2.0 engine., one 14inch bar, the other maybe 16inch.   I got them both used, quite cheap.  Did a little work to get them going, but it was mostly from just sitting around, lack of use type problems.  Both start and run quite well.  Do I use them in heavy service, no.
But they get a fair amount of occasional use, and work quite well.  I estimate they are a good 15 yrs. old, or more.  As I say, no problems since I got them running.
To me, they are a lot better saw than their reputation seems to say.

Mooseherder

I have three saws that could be considered throw-away saws. :D
I have had great luck with my Poulan Pro.  Usually starts right away.
Can't say that about my Homelites.

Kcwoodbutcher

I've got a Homelite Ranger that I use as my shop saw. It use to be my ex's. One day it quit running for her and she just left it sitting in the field. It sat there for about six months before I asked her what's with the saw in the field. "Doesn't run you can have it if you want." Took it home, cleaned the spark arrestor screen and it runs like a champ. I just use it for some rough cuts on green lumber to make it fit in the kiln.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

foresthawk

Besides the two mc eager  beavers I also have a Poulan Woodshark, with 14 inch bar, about 33cc.   Does not get a great deal of use, but it has performed very well, with zero problems over 4 yrs.   Also, it starts much quicker than a Jonsered 21XX model I have, and some Stihls I have used.    The Poulan does have much more vibration, however.

letsgetitracing

I had a timber wolf or timer bear (square cover )something like that what a pile. I gave it to my buddy and he was like man thanks alot as i snickered inside. After a month I asked him ever use the saw? he said, threw my sholder out pulling it. I said broke the pull cord again eh? he said yep.  So  I took it off and i useda 1/4 hp elctric motor with a (small lov joy coupler on it) that fit in to the tang where the original pull cord grabbed.  It  spins 3450 rpm to start it there I said, your done messing around with pulling it.

Now you just stick it on to the coupler and flick a switch it will start now. Then you  pull it off and walk out side that's red neck stuff, I know but it saved pulling for an hour everytime. I set the motor height approtioned to the saw sitting on the bench.  It didn't take but 15 minutes and it was done it is kool.
Homemade firewood processor, 200 ton log spliter, 322 cat excavator, 966 c cat loader, 3 semis, 11 trailers, 50 ton low boy 12 inch tree chipper 3120xp 394 xp 372 xp 3 365  357 55 rancher 346xp 338xp  stihl 056 mag ms 290 026 echo cs440  4 cs3000's  jonsered 2165 2150

go BIG or go Home

Thank You Sponsors!