iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

got my post peeler going.

Started by semologger, November 08, 2008, 10:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

Well i went in doing business for myself. I am still going to log with dad. He has his shaving mill and now i have my peeler. We will still work together. I set it up and his mill cause he has the loader and fork lift. We haul tree lenth in the mill. He will keep all the bigger wood and the crooked stuff I cant use. My market is for 7 foot 3 and a halfs, 4, and 5 inch post. I think we can do alright just off of 3 loads a week. We can produce alot more than that out in the woods in a weeks time. So haveing enough wood at the mill to last us thru the wet season shouldnt be to hard .

I have a heavy duty trailer I am thinking of putting to use. Its 16 foot long and i can haul around 100 post on it. I am going to put bunks on it so i can unload it at the mill with the lift. If i haul a load every day I think i could have enough wood to last me a whole day peeling. He thinks I am wasting my time by using my truck but if i am driving to the woods everyday i say why not. The trailer has mobile home tires 8/14.5 on it. I think it was a old camper frame but bumped up. They made it so they could haul a tractor on it. It has a 2 and 5.16 ball on it.

I started it up thursday and friday and  peeled 8 bundles so far. I have one guy helping me. 8 dont seem like much but thats also cutting up the trees to length. I know we will be able to get alot more bundles out once i get everything lined out. My knucle boom at the mill is a old barko 80 and its slow but my loader out at the woods is a prentice 210 and i can cut up alot faster. So i am still debateing on hauling with my trailor or just wait and haul just with the semi.

DanG

Good going Semo!  You're doing exactly what a lot of folks need to do right now.  You're taking a plentiful resource, and adding value to it, so it becomes profitable to you.  I'm just tickled to death to hear that a logger is doing something besides wringing his hands over the market for thinnings! 8) 8) 8)

Now, how many posts are in one of your bundles?  I'm thinking you said something about $1.60 per post.  I assume that is green, right off the peeler?  What if you were to set aside a bundle here and there and let them dry, then take them to a treat facility?  Think you could add a bit more profit that way?

Keep on doing what you're doing!  I'm a fan! ;) ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

semologger

I get an average of $105 an bundle. For 3 inch there are 70 pieces, 4inch 50 and 5 inch 35. My uncle has the cresote treating plant next door to our mill. So hauling is no prob. He is putting in a new plant and going to close the other one next to us. But the new one is only 3 miles down the road. My bundle sizes will be a little bit bigger when he has it done.

Dale Hatfield

So what could  a person buy a bundle for after treating. The size you are talking about would be line posts and not corner size.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Meadows Miller

Gday

A big congrats on making the move and going out on your own and getting the post operation on the go  Mate ;D 8)

Not many ppl get into post n pole operations overhere on a small/med scale but post prices are good at around $220+ per m3 =444.25 bft or roughly a bundle of 4"to 5"s 45 to 50 pcs at 6' long untreated  loaded on truck ex mill   

Good Luck
Reguards Chris McMahon
4TH Generation Timbergetter

semologger

i am not sure what a bundle goes for treated. They also have 6 inch post 8 foot long i am just not peeling them I am going to have to get a market for it though. I would like to have a market for 7 and 8 inch also.
Thanks fellas. semo

Thank You Sponsors!