iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mufflers

Started by chipsfly09, August 10, 2009, 10:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipsfly09

Does anyone out there have a "magic" compound that can be put on muffler bolt threads to keep them tight?-- Temps are too high for loctite or the like? and maybe they would never come out again- I have heard that too.  Maybe there is no substitute for checking the bolts--seems like when I loan out a saw the muffler comes back in a box with all of the related problems associated with that-- stripped holes etc...  I have suffered this on old and new saws alike---- New Shindaiwa as well as 084 Stihl.

Thanks!

Al_Smith

First rule of thumb,do not loan your saws .

beenthere

Like Al says... :) :)

Have never loaned a saw (I go with it when/if that comes up).

But also, have never had a muffler bolt loosen. Don't know how/why I am missing that extra bit of fun.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chipsfly09

Good rule of thumb! 

Bruce Hopf

I have to agree. I have loaned out my deck over trailer, to a neighbour a couple of times. He borrowed it to go and pick up a little farm all tractor. I sent the trailer with jacks for the rear, to prevent the front of the trailer to come up, and bend the trailer light brackets.
Well you guessed it, It came back with trailer lights hanging from the wires, light brackets all bent to rat, you know what, and I had to straighten everything up again.
Last time, and the last time my trailer goes out, not hooked to my truck, and me doing the driving, came back with one of the front marker lights hanging from the wires, and was also broken.
You think that someone would appreciate you lending them your equipment, you would get it back in the condition that they received it in. Wrong. When I borrowed someone Else's equipment, I returned it the way i found it, or in better condition that I received it in.
It's your equipment. If you wish to keep lending it out, be prepared to fix it when you recieve it back, or just say sorry, I don't lend out my equipment anymore.
Just my opinion. Bruce.
McCulloch
1-Pro Mac 60, 1-Pro Mac 700, 2-Mac 10-10 automatic's, 2-Mini Mac 30's, 2-Mac 110's, 2-Mini Mac 35's, 1-Mac 140 with Automatic chain sharpener, 1-Pro Mac 10-10, 2-Eagar Beaver 2.0's, 1-Mac 1-10
Stihl
2-044's, 2-034,s 2-024's, 1-064, 1-084
Strunk
1-Busy Beaver, 1-SpeeDemon Special

Al_Smith

Well,disregarding the rule of thumb make darned sure the bolts are tight to begin with .Not just snug .

After a while of being loose as a goose the threads get wallered out in the saw case and won't hold worth a hoot .Then you have one of two choices. Tap for the next size or install threaded bushing .

It's not a bad idea to check them every so often which of course nobody including myself ever does .

sawmilllawyer

Amen Al,  don't think I have ever checked those bolts on any of my saws but now that it has been mentioned it,  :othey will probably come loose.  :o
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Mad Professor

I use never seize, and never had one that won't come out when needed, nor one that came out while running.

Al_Smith

It's a pretty good idea to use some type of anti fouling compound when using steel bolts threaded into aluminum ."Kopper Kote " works well too .

Another little tid bit is to use the wide headed torx head bolts that Stihl uses .These have more surface area than a socket head bolt to gain purchase . You can buy them in bulk or trot off to the dealer and pay a couple bucks each .

It's worth the couple dollars not to have the saw swallow a screw if you have debaffled the muffler .You folks that run strictly stock saws don't have to worry about that though . 8)

bandmiller2

Chips,if you have a drill press and a sharp small drill,drill the heads and safety wire.You could also make up sheet metal with tabs to bend up,like they use on some U joints bolts.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

chipsfly09

Thanks bandmiller2-- One of my 2100's has sheet metal tabs on the muffler bolts that thread into the cylinder-- they have never come loose-- I should do that on the other-- My newer saws have round torx type heads but I still have the wrench that fits them--I think-- ???

By the way Bruce-- I got my trailer bent up in the same manner-- loaned to someone hauling a "small" tractor-- The whole dove tail got bent about 2 inches out of straight which makes the rear of the trailer appear to be frowning-- I too showed him how to put down the jacks on the rear of the trailer--

sepp

Hi can I use muffler from husky 385xp on the husky 372xp? Thanks

boobap

Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a pretty good idea to use some type of anti fouling compound when using steel bolts threaded into aluminum ."Kopper Kote " works well too .

x2...you should always use some type of anti-seize when there is steel threaded into aluminum or vice-versa...i always use copper Anti-Seize, as it is high temp! I ALWAYS use it on my lug nuts also. it helps "lubricate" the threads so there isn't so much "stretching"...just what I do!

des170stihl

I just use Lock Nuts ,, Works  perfect,, They stay snug until I want to take them off.
STIHL MS170* STIHL MS260 Pro* STIHL MS 230* ECHO CS 341* Husky 339 XP * Wallenstein 20 Ton Splitter* Massey Ferguson 1528 w/Grapple ( Skidder Wanna Be ).

Ed

Uh...loaning out an 084...that ain't good. At least 99% of the people out there can't handle one.

Never had any problems with anything coming loose on my 084.

Ed

ErikC

I don't loan saws either. I bought a used 029 for practically nothing once, at a pawn shop. They said something was really wrong with it, all the noises it was making. I noticed the muffler screws were about 1/2 way backed out, and took it home.  ;D  Tightened them up, it runs great and they have not come loose again. I put coppercote on them, keeps the screws from rusting.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

joe_indi

Those are self locking screws on a 084 muffler.And probably on the Shindaiwa.
Look at the bottom of the screw heads, those ribs are supposed to do the job of self locking.
If the ribs are worn the screw does not lock.
A couple of new screws would solve the problem and prevent major problems like a cracked cylinder base.
'For want of a nail the shoe was lost......etc....etc.......'

Joe

Thank You Sponsors!