iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightbulb in firebox - e classic.

Started by upsnake, April 12, 2011, 02:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upsnake

I was looking through the manual the other day for my e-classic 1400, and one of thing it said you could do to help control the condensation in the firebox during the summer was to put a  leave a 60W light bulb on in there.

I am assuming the heat from it maybe? Anyway has buddy done this if so how did you route the electric cable into the firebox? It doesn't seem like it would be good on the door seal to have it pinched in there.

Or any other suggestion on keeping it dry in there. :) Thanks

doctorb

Never tried it or heard of it.  Why not route the extension cord through the chimney clean out or even through the chimney itself?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

submarinesailor

I believe it will work.  But, remember to use one of those soon to be outlawed incandescent bulbs.  I think what they are telling you is to have a small heat source inside the unit.  A 60 watt incandescent bulb puts out about 20 real watts of light and the other 40 watts is nothing but heat.  This heat should keep the inside walls above the dew point and that's what you are after.  Keeping the inside walls above the dew/condensation point.  Also, you may consider putting a timer on it and only turning it on from about 6 PM unit to about 7 AM.  Should reduce your cost of running the bulb.

Bruce

Ianab

QuoteA 60 watt incandescent bulb puts out about 20 real watts of light and the other 40 watts is nothing but heat.

Actually they are even worse than that - it's about 1 watt of light and 59w of heat  :D (About 2% efficient)

But you are correct, they are better at heating then lighting.

Fluoro and LED lamps make it to about 10% efficiency, and Sodium vapour around 20%.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dean186

Doctorb's suggestion would work.  I might add that the vent caps are relatively cheap, so you could drill a hole in the cap and install a weather proof electric cable clamp where the cable enters.  Then buy a new cap next winter.

Here is a not so easy approach, but leaves no cables outside your furnace.  Remove the fusion chamber and route the cable through the large air channel that runs straight into the air plenum in the back.  You will also need to remove the high/low burn solenoid fixture from the back of this air channel, which is easy.  Then plug the electric cable into one of the spare electric sockets just inside the furnace housing.  The two outlets are located on the outside of the air plenum and are still hot even after powering down the furnace for the summer.

Here in the dry climate of Colorado, I have no problems with condensation inside my firebox.  I check it about every month and on a hot day I will leave it open for a few hours, but not sure if that is even necessary.

ken999

I keep mine dry by buring it once a day for DHW. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!