iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain types

Started by blade69001, May 22, 2014, 04:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blade69001

I am planning on using a Logasol CSM to mill up some pine I cut down this winter so I can run it through my resaw, I am using an old stihl 029 I stuck a new 039 block in. I am curious when I hear about using different chains for CSMs what the differences are and what is best for my specific needs in this application?
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

CTYank

Common saw chain is designed for cross-cutting. Ill-suited for ripping, as in a milling cut.

You can buy ripping chain from Bailey's and Tree Stuff and others. The angles are very different on the cutters.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

blade69001

Thanks for the reply CT, what I guess I am asking is what type of chain to look for. I have yet to see a ripping chain advertised as that on the Baileys website. Or am I just looking in the wrong place for it?
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

MikeAM

Depending on the pitch of your sprocket and the gauge of your bar there are quite a few options available. If you are running 3/8 .050 Stihl 63PMX works well as it has a thinner kerf so its less taxing on your saw. Generally you want to mill with the biggest saw you can get a hold of. The main difference between regular chain and ripping chain is the angle on the cutter. Ripping chain is ground to 10 degrees instead of 30 or 35.

ReggieT

Quote from: MikeAM on May 23, 2014, 03:46:23 PM
Depending on the pitch of your sprocket and the gauge of your bar there are quite a few options available. If you are running 3/8 .050 Stihl 63PMX works well as it has a thinner kerf so its less taxing on your saw. Generally you want to mill with the biggest saw you can get a hold of. The main difference between regular chain and ripping chain is the angle on the cutter. Ripping chain is ground to 10 degrees instead of 30 or 35.
How effective is the ripping chain in normal cutting conditions...like bucking, limbing and some noodling?

SawTroll

Quote from: ReggieT on May 23, 2014, 03:51:30 PM

How effective is the ripping chain in normal cutting conditions...like bucking, limbing and some noodling?

It is totally unsuitable, not efficient at all!

Also be aware that you shouldn't run 3/8" picco (like 63PMX) on the same drive sprockets and bars (nose sprockets really) as regular 3/8" chain. The chassis of the chain is very different, even though the pitch is the same.

Information collector.

sawguy21

Cross cut chain will work for ripping, does not leave a nice finish though. Ripping does not cross cut well, it won't clear the chips and leaves a rough cut. It is also slow.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

clww

I use Carlton ripping chain exclusively when cutting slabs. I buy the chain on eBay. It's filed at 10 degrees.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Al_Smith

Much ado about rip chain .More times than not finished lumber is planed so a little roughness isn't a big deal .

Standard round filed chisel chain will out perform so called rip chain and produce a cut that is much smoother than say a circular saw .

Held at somewhere between 30 and 45 degrees to the grain it will rip relatively fast .Although quite frankly even with a 100 plus CC saw it's a slow ordeal .

While you could no doubt use an 039 Stihl sized saw it's going to be a slow process .

clww

Good points, Al. The only two saws I use for ripping planks are an 084 and an 090.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Al_Smith

I've only done enough chainsaw milling to know it's not my favorite method make lumber .Using either a 2100 S Homelite of 114 cc or an SP 125 McCulloch of 123 cc I could get about 1 foot per minute in red oak 16-18" wide .

ReggieT

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 23, 2014, 10:17:13 PM
Cross cut chain will work for ripping, does not leave a nice finish though. Ripping does not cross cut well, it won't clear the chips and leaves a rough cut. It is also slow.
How about Noodling?

Al_Smith

Of course you can noodle,cut French fries or whatever a person wants to call it .

A rip chain cuts saw dust while a regular chain pulls chips .Going at 90 degrees to the log is probabley the slowest method .Parallel to the log would pull the longest chips but be prone to clogging the saw with standard chain .If you determine an angle between parallel and 90 that cuts long chips but doesn't clog that's where you want to be .

Get a good sharp chain and try it some time .You'd be surprised how smooth the lumber will come out .

Thank You Sponsors!