iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Students and I building a firewood processor.

Started by Lazy logger, October 16, 2014, 05:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazy logger

For those that would be interested I will start posting pictures and information about our project. I have assembled a small team of mechanical engineering students here at the college I work at to build a processor. This is a project that will test the limits of their abilities (and my wallet), but what a way to learn engineering. HANDS ON! Please feel free to give advice to us as we are learning as we go. I hope you enjoy.
These pictures are of us making the pump mount.
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=167712#top_display_media
this pic is of the Master Cam program we use to write G-code for the CNC mill
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=167713#top_display_media
This is a pic of the CNC mill with one of my students.
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=167714#top_display_media
We are milling the hole for the pump body and the mounting bolts.
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=33989&pid=167715#top_display_media
Almost done, we have a long way to go.
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

beenthere

Pls put your pics in your post with some commentary.. thanks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DeerMeadowFarm

This is so cool. My nephew just came out of industry to work as a vocational teacher. He teaches small engine repair and hydrualic technologies. I keep pushing him to get the entire school involved in building useful products....like wood splitters! The drafting group could do the drawings, machine shop could make parts, welding class could put it together, my nephews class could install engine and hydrualics, autobody shop could paint it, and graphic arts class could come up with logos/stickers etc. for it. The students could build them to order and use the money for senior class trips, etc.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on October 21, 2014, 10:42:32 AM
This is so cool. My nephew just came out of industry to work as a vocational teacher. He teaches small engine repair and hydrualic technologies. I keep pushing him to get the entire school involved in building useful products....like wood splitters! The drafting group could do the drawings, machine shop could make parts, welding class could put it together, my nephews class could install engine and hydrualics, autobody shop could paint it, and graphic arts class could come up with logos/stickers etc. for it. The students could build them to order and use the money for senior class trips, etc.

Now that is a great plan/idea!  The students would actually learn something useful.  In my high school, the Senior Trip was partly funded by the soda machine sales in the lunch room :D  The shop teacher (one of the chaperones) bought the machine years earlier and they bought soda direct from the local plant.

Waiting and watching for progress!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Lazy logger

Here are some more pics of our progress. We will be getting a 14000 lb equipment trailer this weekend to assemble it on.

These pictures are of the student designing the splitting wedge using design software.

Here are a couple of students machining the edges of the wedges.

here we are machining the saw mount.

So here is the saw mount with the motor and sprocket bushing we made. We still have some work to do on it but it's coming along.
I hope this is not too many pictures.
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Lazy logger on November 06, 2014, 04:40:33 PM
Here are some more pics of our progress. We will be getting a 14000 lb equipment trailer this weekend to assemble it on.
<<snip>>

No such thing as too many pictures :D  Looking good but I'm turning green with envy - such nice tools!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Hilltop366

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 06, 2014, 05:06:48 PM
Quote from: Lazy logger on November 06, 2014, 04:40:33 PM
<<snip>>

No such thing as too many pictures :D  Looking good but I'm turning green with envy - such nice tools!

Me too!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

are you bolting that rim sprocket on? they need to be able to move side to side some. how big are the holes for the bar mount? harvester bars have a 10mm slot

Lazy logger

Quote from: snowstorm on November 06, 2014, 05:21:53 PM
are you bolting that rim sprocket on? they need to be able to move side to side some. how big are the holes for the bar mount? harvester bars have a 10mm slot
Yes we are, We are in the process of making an alignment tool that will align the sprocket bushing to the bar center to center on the groove. The bushing is then tightened to the shaft and the sprocket is bolted to the bushing. The grooves should be aligned perfectly (as we can get) with each other.
The holes may look small here but we will be tapping them for studs. we are using slightly over sized studs with flats machined for more support.

beenthere

Nice pics, but the person with the long sleeves around a milling machine wouldn't fly far in a machine shop. Scary things can happen real quick. The machine operator was dressed well for the job.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

blackfoot griz

Thanks for sharing this build. Just curious, what is the diameter of the saw motor shaft and the ID of the chain sprocket?

snowstorm

that rim sprocket needs to be able to move. look at one on a chain saw. my ctl harvester uses a spur sprocket. you can see from the wear marks the chain isnt always centered. my bar mount uses 20mm studs with flats machined to 10mm just wide enough for the bar to slide into

Lazy logger

The shaft od is 5/8. The sprocket I'd is 25 mm.

Lazy logger

Quote from: snowstorm on November 06, 2014, 07:36:58 PM
that rim sprocket needs to be able to move. look at one on a chain saw. my ctl harvester uses a spur sprocket. you can see from the wear marks the chain isnt always centered. my bar mount uses 20mm studs with flats machined to 10mm just wide enough for the bar to slide into
I understand your point and appreciate the input. We could not find a spur sprocket that fit our application. I will have them look into modifying this and the studs.

Hilltop366

I have no experience with a harvester but I did have a CSM using a harvester rim sprocket that was connected directly to the shaft (non floating) with no issues, I used a shim washer to align the sprocket with the shaft.

I did notice a while back that Oregon makes a rim sprocket that as far as I can tell is designed to lock on the shaft they are called HarvesterLokTM Systems they are like Split-Tapered pulleys.

Link to rim sprocket  http://www.oregonproducts.com/Harvester/pdf/HarvesterLok_0209.pdf

blackfoot griz

Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 06, 2014, 08:01:39 PM
I have no experience with a harvester but I did have a CSM using a harvester rim sprocket that was connected directly to the shaft (non floating) with no issues, I used a shim washer to align the sprocket with the shaft.

I did notice a while back that Oregon makes a rim sprocket that as far as I can tell is designed to lock on the shaft they are called HarvesterLokTM Systems they are like Split-Tapered pulleys.

Link to rim sprocket  http://www.oregonproducts.com/Harvester/pdf/HarvesterLok_0209.pdf

I agree w/Hilltop.  My sprocket on my processor is locked in place and I haven't touched it since it was installed.

Lazy logger

Thanks Guys, I did some more looking and I agree with locking it on the shaft. This week we should be finishing the saw and starting to weld the splitter head.

ozarkgem

that is exactly how I cut the edge on my splitter wedge. What are you going to power it with?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Lazy logger

We have a 90hp Nissan diesel. We just pulled it out of the jeep two nights ago. Just got the trailer unloaded tonight.

drobertson

Looks like a great project, bet the heck out of the 8lb mall I used today! ;D  just a bit out of shape I suppose,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dave_dj1

Lazylogger, what part of NY are you in?
I would love to have those tools you have access to!
Did that diesel come out of an International Scout? If not, what Jeep? I know the old Scouts had a Nissan diesel but never seen one in a jeep.
Keep up the great work.
dave

Lazy logger

ozarkgem

I have a harvester bar saved for the same thing you are doing. What size hyd motor did you use? What psi and rpm will it take? How are you doing the chain oiling system?
Nice work.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Thank You Sponsors!