iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What firewood processor to get

Started by 4x4American, April 01, 2015, 10:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Howdy,

The company I work for is getting a different firewood processor and they asked me to do some research for them.  They want to spend in the 20-30k range.  We have a BlockBuster right now and it should be sold pretty soon.  New or used it don't matter.  It is mainly an excavation company, but we do firewood when we're slow, have time, or have a customer who wants firewood.  We do land clearing and keep a pretty good stockpile of logs.  The good sawlogs we sell to a log buyer and the uglier stuff goes for firewood.  When we have some time to do firewood, we need to turn logs into firewood fast, because we usually don't have much time for it.  I have little knowledge of the processor industry, and wish to learn more.

Our firewood logs are trucked in the back of a dump truck and tend to get dirty.  Currently our processor has a hydraulic chainsaw and it's a bit of a pain to take off and sharpen it.  We want something that is easy to keep sharp.  Does a circle blade do better than a chain in dirty stuff?

Any advice is much appreciated
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

The BlockBuster being sold for what reason? Has been a good company, from what I've heard.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

Someone made them a deal they couldn't refuse!  They want to get a bigger one, it can't take big enough logs, and they can't be much longer than 8 foot either.  They are looking for one that is a bit bigger and faster.  For what they want, in their price range, it's most likely going to be a used unit, so that's why they aren't being brand specific.  I like the looks of the Bells Machining processors but they are spendy units.
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

No personal experience with any of the processors, but I think this skid steer attachment would be pretty hard to beat. Not everyone agrees, from a previous thread on them. But likely have a skidsteer already, and just grab this attachment and go at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0-1Rx1NNDY
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

Thanks for the link I will include it in my list of possibilities I'm emailing to the bosses
Boy, back in my day..

NWP

I sharpen the saw chain still on the machine with a file. 5-10 minutes and I'm cutting again.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

North River Energy

A carbide-tooth circle saw will do very well with dirty wood, but won't cut rocks or metal.
For that type of machine, in your price range, you're probably looking at a used CRD, or a very used Multitek.

logman81

I would look into a dyna products processor, they have a few models in that price range and are well built. I would also try to find a way to reduce how dirty the logs get.
Precision Firewood & Logging

xalexjx

I have an 18 hp built rite and have had great luck with it. Chain only take a min to swap out and I sharpen them on my grinder sharpener, I run about 30 full cords per chain the dirt doesn't dull it too bad as long as it's not frooze. If you go that route get the longer feed trough. It's nice to put 16-20' wood on without fighting it
Logging and Processed Firewood

lopet

Will be hard to find something in that price range what is bigger and faster. I have a block buster myself and it has been a pretty good machine so far, but it is limited with 20 inch diameter. If I ever wanna go bigger I may look at the cord king with a circular saw, but even used ones are selling for 80k.  :o :o
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

shamusturbo

That price point is going to be really hard to find a "fast" machine. Bells are super expensive. To get a slasher unit, you are looking at $50k, minimum for something that is still useable. At the price, I would think a company has to be pretty serious about making firewood for money.

What model did the business sell?  **So we have something to base a suggestion off of.......

A slasher is going to dull just like a chain model. Dirt, rock, and nails are always the enemy!! I have a CRD Loco 20 (20" capacity and 30' long log, capacity) (2nd from the biggest model)

CRD's are very simple, not bells and whistles, most affordable, very few shortcomings, not many used.......I would buy another....

Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

blackfoot griz

Any possibilities you could build your own?

Dave Shepard

Too bad you couldn't find one of these. It was a monster processor with circle blade built about 35 years ago. I found one for sale down South once. Serial FWM #33, I think, so there must have been at least that many of them made. :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BargeMonkey

Unfortunately finding a clean low hr 2040 multitek doesnt happen often, and you have to be ready to jump with a bag of cash in hand. I get a cord every 45mins out of mine, 20-22" capacity Brute H-106 with the newer Built-rite updates. Comstock is selling a new Carlton chain set up for dirty logs, we love it. The skidsteer processors are slick, and if your not doing longer stuff its the way to go. My processor is inside a building, restricted to 17' logs but we try and run 12-14' stuff. Down here it isnt about volume as much as a clean load of wood, the less chips and bark the more customers you retain.

4x4American

Thanks everyone.  We actually have two processors.  I think that the other one is a home made unit.  We also have this monster splitter, if I remember I will get a picture of it.  We have proberly 5-7 hydraulic splitters laying around all over the dingle weeds...log trucks with loaders mounted, all sorts of stuff.  I am sure that if we had the time we could turn all of the junk that doesn't work into a big mean splitter.  Would have been a good winter project.  As of right now, we have so much excavation work lined up starting this coming week we are going from half throttle to full tilt.  They are having me clear a bunch of land I started this week so right now we have alot of timber.  They also have a WM lt40 super diesel that is getting fed some logs here and there.
Boy, back in my day..

deastman

I don't think you'll find a rotary saw processor in the price range you're looking at unless it's been really used up. I've owned a Bell's processor for about a year now and I think that they're a well built rig. It's easy and comfortable to run with all the functions on one joystick.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

coxy

just think of the money you will save with a circle saw not buying bar oil  ;D

OH logger

john

4x4American

The guy never ponyed up the money for the Blockbuster, so we still have it.  They're still keeping their eyes open.  They are thinking about the skidsteer attachment one.  But for right now we're on other things.  Selling two excavators for a brandy new one. 
Boy, back in my day..

xalexjx

i have a 45hp built-rite, had great luck with it, looked into upgrading to a new circle saw processor and have it narrowed down to built-rite or bells, but finding a non worn out used one is almost impossible and a new one is over 60k. Thats a lot of firewood.
Logging and Processed Firewood

Ken

I'm selling all my hardwood to a guy that just bought a new Bells processor.  He seems happy with it but found out quickly that it wasn't built for small wood.  When I sell long length firewood the tree gets merchandized to a 3 inch top so he has had to set the small stuff aside to do manually. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

4x4American

Well that stinks for him.  Spend all that money on a processor and then have to do it manually! 
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Does anyone know, on the multi-tech processors, if the grapple that feeds the log lowers and raises?
Boy, back in my day..

North River Energy

^Unless something changed recently, no.

millcreek40

Hi guys. I have a Multitek 2040. The grapple does not not move up or down. But you can do wood down two 2". Not very productive  but you can grab & hold it.  The grapple is the best part. You can do anything that you drag out of the woods with it crooked wood no problem
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

Thank You Sponsors!