The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Firewood sales.  (Read 3969 times)

Offline grassfed

• Share Post
    • Kingdom Hill Farm
Re: Firewood sales.
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »
Checkout the link to the PDF in my post. This is a report from the USDA  "Fuel Value Calculator " there is also a link to a spreadsheet at the top.  here is the link again: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/fuel-value-calculator.pdf

They use "Seasoned firewood 15.3 million Btu/cord " (this is 20million BTUs X.77 for woodstove efficiency) compared to # 2 heating oil. If you go to the matrix on page 3 of the pdf and look along the line for seasoned firewood @ 20% moisture content $200 per cord  and then read along the line till you get to #2 heating oil it says $1.49 per gallon  They make assumptions about efficiency of the furnaces and such but I think that it is one of the better comparisons I have found.
 The price per million BTUs for this example is $13 for both wood and fuel oil (left column on page 3)
Mike

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 12:46:44 PM »
Brandon
Pound for pound, most woods are nearly the same in BTU's.. hardwood or softwood.
Just that the volume varies to get the same weights, and moisture content has an effect on the calculations.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline jocco

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2015, 05:32:03 PM »
We never got to technical there always seemed to be a figure like oil above $2 gallon wood was cheaper. Never understood these guys that bought wood tree length hired some one to saw and put it in. Factor in labor oil would have to be $4 gallon!!!! Can't get over price variation I have seen dry wood go for $300 and saw split $180 a cord>

quote author=grassfed link=topic=87590.msg1343757#msg1343757 date=1451410192]
Checkout the link to the PDF in my post. This is a report from the USDA  "Fuel Value Calculator " there is also a link to a spreadsheet at the top.  here is the link again: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/fuel-value-calculator.pdf

They use "Seasoned firewood 15.3 million Btu/cord " (this is 20million BTUs X.77 for woodstove efficiency) compared to # 2 heating oil. If you go to the matrix on page 3 of the pdf and look along the line for seasoned firewood @ 20% moisture content $200 per cord  and then read along the line till you get to #2 heating oil it says $1.49 per gallon  They make assumptions about efficiency of the furnaces and such but I think that it is one of the better comparisons I have found.
 The price per million BTUs for this example is $13 for both wood and fuel oil (left column on page 3)
[/quote]
You may check out but you will never leave

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 11:28:13 AM »
Phone stopped ringing for wood at my place (mostly green).  I did the Craigslist add without much luck, guess we'll just put the rest of the log length stuff into wood to dry.  When it was busy it was real busy, but it sure did die out quick!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Offline RCBS

• Mongo like candy!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 02:00:52 PM »
The Saudis can't keep this up forever.  Their budget for next year has been slashed and the budget deficit for them this year is a record and only the second or third time they've ever had a deficit.  This is their last gasp as the price setters for world oil prices.
Echo CS-3400, 550xp, Jonsered 2166, L3130 Kubota, '78 JD 300 backhoe, Kubota RTV900, JD2305, lots of sharp stuff and several firearms

Offline grassfed

• Share Post
    • Kingdom Hill Farm
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 02:40:12 PM »
The Saudis can't keep this up forever.
The thing to remember is that the Saudis are the low cost producer by a large margin. If their cost of producing one more barrel of oil is $10 then their competitors cost is $40. At $36 they are making money on each barrel produced and oil sands and shale oil are losing money. If the Saudis cut the price and demand responds they can cover their budget by selling more. If a well is losing money the working interest owners have to cut a check every month to cover cost of production. After a while they cap the well and it is not that easy to reopen a well; the equipment deteriorates. 
Mike

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Firewood sales

Started by Ed on Forestry and Logging

13 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 07:46:07 PM
by bill m
xx
Firewood sales

Started by NWP on Firewood and Wood Heating

21 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 03:49:50 PM
by jcl