iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Super Splitting firewood (pallet pictures included)

Started by 47sawdust, March 11, 2016, 04:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

I just finished splitting our firewood for next year.I seem to do it a little different every year.This is how I went about it this year.I try to cut about 10 cord.The tractor is an '85 Kubota L3750,8k Tajfun winch.Just a really great tractor and winch.

After the wood is blocked into 16'' lengths I set up my wagon,splitter and log lifter.

I work alone so I load the wagon so every piece is coming down hill to the splitter.The log lifter is new this year.It has worked out very well for placing the pieces that are more than I can handle.I'm 69 so every bit helps.The actual splitting goes quickly.In the background is my mill shed.that's where I'm going next week.

When I get a log jam in front of the splitter I use my new rock bucket to clear and pile since I don't have a conveyor.it was a good investment.

Almost finished-

I will stack all the wood on 1/3 cord pallets then move to the wood shed next October.We had such a mild winter,I'm finally getting ahead.
This early spring is nice

A request was made for pictures of how I use pallets.The pallets are 42x48 the uprights are 42+/-.I use a pair of chains to keep the pallets from spreading and each pallet has its own roof made from Tri-Flex(roofing underlayment).The Tri-Flex is a little expensive but very durable.I should get several years out of it.I've got 24 pallets.It was more work than I thought putting it all together.I'm glad I have a sawmill.The big bonus for me is when I get my wood in the fall,just pick up a pallet of seasoned wood and I'm off to the wood shed.

Hope this helps.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

brianJ

Nice system.   8)   and it sure is nice to be ahead on firewood. :) :)

r.man

Looks like a good system Mick, any pictures of your pallets?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

LAZERDAN

I just saw a youtube of a lifter just like yours.  It was next to a hydraulic splitter, what are the odds ?

He used a 2x4 on the toprail.       Lazerdan                 

barbender

Nice system- I like that log lifter!
Too many irons in the fire

hedgerow

Nice set up. It is always nice to stage the wood to be split. Never can have too many tables. I need to get started on my 10 cords for next season. Winter was mild around here also and I usually burn 15 cord in a year. Only burned 10 cord this last year.

GRANITEstateMP

Nice setup.  I like the log lift, sure does help save the back!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

thecfarm

Where I use to work we had some stackable metal pallets for shipping car parts on. The build got done and the pallets was thrown away.I still have no idea why I did not get about 20-30 of them.   ::)  They would of been perfect to pile wood on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tree-farmer

How long have you had the super splitter? What size is it? Pro's and cons, I have been looking at getting one, the hydraulic ones seem so slow. Never been around a super splitter to see it in operation. Any feedback would be apreciated.
Have always split with maul, but body is not as young as it once was, looking for other options.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

47sawdust

My Super Split is the J model.It is the smallest of the 3 models and more than adequate for my purposes.It is fast,trouble free and a pleasure to use.I have owned mine for 5 years.It has a 7hp Robin/Subaru motor which starts easily and is relatively quiet.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

stratton

Tree Farmer, Call Paul at super splitter.If you split firewood every year that is 5,10,15 cords per year. I promise you the decision will be a no brainer...... There are probably 30-40 members between arborsite and here that run super splitters.I sell firewood in ct. 150 cords for 25 yrs. Questions call me Luke 203-610-7667

Raider Bill

I had a super splitter back in the early 80's. Must have been one of the first models. Outstanding machine, never gave me a lick of problems and man did it split wood fast.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WmFritz

Mick, that's a great setup... I need that hoist.

I have the same model with an electric motor. Member Holmes found it for me on CL and I absolutely love it. They don't like crotchety blocks, but once you learn to nip away at the outsides, they aren't a problem. I really enjoy running mine.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

That electric is nice. Nice and quiet!!! I saw one at a show. Could not understand how it could split wood and not make noise.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tree-farmer

Thanks for the feed back. Now all I have do is save up a bit more $$$.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

mf40diesel

I know this thread was from a few months ago, but I just stumbled onto it.  I also went to a pallet system, same as you this year.  Got tired of handling wood several times.  Now I make my tractor do it... haha.  I have some modifications to make to my pallets, as they need to be more robust, but they are coming along.

I also love that Tajfun winch.  I have a real old Farmi that is too small for my tractor, it works fine but I wish it were a little bigger.  My personal research, I believe that the Tajfun's are superior to anything out there.  Never used one, to be honest, but the design seems *DanG good.

John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

62oliver

Nice set-up!!
I've been working at making mine easier too, I've been thinking of getting one of those rock buckets for the bobcat, it seems to be the best option for picking wood up off the ground that I've seen.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

gspren

Quote from: mf40diesel on June 12, 2016, 12:03:13 PM

I also love that Tajfun winch.  I have a real old Farmi that is too small for my tractor, it works fine but I wish it were a little bigger.  My personal research, I believe that the Tajfun's are superior to anything out there.  Never used one, to be honest, but the design seems *DanG good.
Call Magic about the Tajfun that's for sale on the "For Sale" board.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

mf40diesel

I saw that one the other day...  seems that the price is nice, but I believe that it is in Mississippi if my memory was right.  That's a little too far.  While it is a long of money, I want the EGV 55AHK, the electro hydraulic one.  Maybe I will look again though.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

gspren

MF40, I have often thought about a winch like that but I don't really need it and I'm trying to cut back on equipment so please buy it before I "accidentally" check on shipping.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

mf40diesel

HAHA.  That makes me think of the "buy it now with 1-click," feature on Amazon.  I really need the second or third questions basically asking me if I really need whatever I am buying. 

How the heck would you even arrange shipping something like that?  Seems like it would be a real PITA not being there.  Again, only my opinion, but Tajfun seems to really make a good product.  I want one.  Need an OWB more though.

barbender

Sounds like you need a package deal- OWB and Tafjun winch would go great together ;)
Too many irons in the fire

mf40diesel

I do need that,  but the 20K that I would be sending out with it, I don't need to let go of just yet.  I will be looking though!

DeerMeadowFarm

I've been thinking about wood handling since I stumbled on this post. I decided to give the pallet idea a try. I got free 48 x 48 pallets from my wife's work and used three 8' 2x4 rough cuts and some free 1/8" aircraft cable.

I didn't have anything real green to load on it. The tree these were cut from were cut last fall and left in log length all winter. This spring I cut them to length (2' long), split and stacked them. I didn't do a moisture meter reading but they are probably pretty seasoned. This set-up holds 56 cubic feet which would probably be over my loader's capacity if it were all green oak. I think I'll be OK because I usually process logs that are a year old anyway and by the time I'd need to move the pallets closer to the boiler they should be well seasoned. I have another set of forks from a fork lift that I plan to make a 3-point mounted set with. That will let me carry one pallet up front and one out back at a time.

dave_dj1

47sawdust that is an impressive set up and if you don't mind I'm going to steel your little tarp system, that's cool as heck.
Nice set up over all. What fabric are you using?
To keep on topic, a friend let me borrow his ss electric (not sure if it was an actual ss back then)  about 30 years ago, I split a lot of beech and hard maple with it, as far as I know he still has it.

sam-tip

Splitting some Cherry with the SE.  Load the snow buckets and raise next to the SS.  Split and toss into basket.  Did 4 baskets Saturday until the sun came out and got hot.

Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

chuck172

sam-tip

heavy duty plastic pallet and field fence.  I like the sheep and goat fence the best because the of smaller openings.  Then drill holes in pallet and attach with 200 lb outdoor UV resistant cable ties.  Depending on the wood moisture I can get up to 1200 lbs of wood in a basket.  Regular plastic pallet do ok too.  In the winter I must be careful where I put the baskets.  The pallets will get frozen to the ground/mud.  I keep a good supply in the barn or on gravel.  So far I have almost gone through 3 rolls of fencing.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

David-L

Nice work, I need to take lessons from you on gettin that wood ready. Still workin on my boiler wood.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

DeerMeadowFarm

I made a jig to help assemble pallets faster:

Loaded front and back:

I have a total of 15 pallets completed so far:

62oliver

I like that idea, I'm getting pretty lazy in my old age!!!
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

GRANITEstateMP

Jigs are the best!  Made one up for my firewood pallets too.  Saves a bunch of time.

(not the best photo of my wood racks)

We use the racks to hold our 22in long firewood (2 rows w/ air between) and on the pallets we stack 16in customer wood to dry.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Thank You Sponsors!