iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

block heaters

Started by sd locke, January 08, 2010, 10:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sd locke

some advice on block heaters ? using them?what brand ? magnetic . dipstick type . i have a diesel tractor . never had to use a block heater before so not to hip on them . thank you steve

WH_Conley

Have a dip stick for my backhoe, only one I ever had, don't like it. I like the kind that goes in a freeze plug hole best. Next would be the recirculating, if you have heater size hoses to hook it in. I have used the magnetic ones with good results, just don't knock them off in the brush. There is one made that is large diameter to go in the bottom radiator hose, never used one.
Bill

Gary_C

I guess it depends on how much you will need a heater as to what kind is best. So fill in your location so we can have a better idea of what would be best.

For me, I need block heaters all the time in the winter so the best one by far is the frost plug heater in the block. You can get heavy duty ones in most any auto parts store, at least around here. But you have to drain the antifreeze and pop out one of those frost plugs in the side of the block and clean the hole good and insert the frost plug heater and tighten a screw to hold it in.

Another thing that will help is one of those magnetic heaters that you can stick on the side of the block or the bottom of the oil pan. They are almost as good if you can find a flat spot for them and the wind is not blowing around the engine much.

I've never used a dipstick heater and am leary about them. I suspect they will either not have enough watts to do much good  or have too many and burn the oil.

The only other one I've used is the external tank heater but they can be difficult to plumb and some engines do not have places to connect them.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

chevytaHOE5674

If possible I run freeze plug heaters and lower coolant hose heaters, as they do the best job.

I've found the dipstick heaters end up burning the oil, and don't heat much of anything.

Reddog

Another option that works well in some applications is the oil pan heaters.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=oil+pan+heaters&rlz=1R2DKUS_enUS359&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g2g-m1

I many use freeze plug ones like Gary for my equipment.

sd locke

live in michigan . i was thinking of using the mag. type so that way i can remove it in the summer months . also i was thinking of using one on the tranny so the hyd. fluid would be warm . do u guys leave them plugged in all the time . man that could get pricey on the electric bill ;D thanks alot for the info.steve

Dana

I usually plug in 1 to 2 hours before the tractor is needed and have no starting problems. If you will be using the machine at a certain time each day you could use a timer to turn it on. Make sure that the timer can handle the watts that the heating element uses.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

chevytaHOE5674

I have my loader tractor/plow truck on a timer so that it comes on every morning and is warm and easy to start when I go out to plow and feed cattle before work.

All my other equipment I just plug in a few hours before use.

DonT

I have an in-line heater on my MF 30B it seems to work well.

fuzzybear

Here in the north where it's sub zero temps for 5 months we have to run BOTH frost plug and oil pan heaters.  Change your oil and use the lightest grade oil for winter. Also the heaters arn't worth a dang if the battery is frozen. I keep all my batteries inside and use quick disconect ends.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

submarinesailor

Hey Fussy,

Do you have a link to those quick disconnects you spoke of.  I have use for several of them - I like the idea of removing the battery.  Keeps the crap from messing around with my equipment when I am not there.

Bruce

Warbird

Where do you live?  I do not have a tractor but on my snow plow truck, I run 2 freeze plug heating elements (one on each side of the 460 big block).  I only have them both plugged in when trying to thaw the rig out at -50°.  Usually just one is enough.  I also have an oil pan heater and a transmission pan heater.

I can not speak highly enough of the freeze plug element block heaters.  They can be a real bear to install but they are the best bet, in my experience.  They really do a great job.

The oil pan heaters are great, too.  All they are is a fairly cheap heating pad (I run 60W or 75W pads.  You don't want to go too hot, depending on the size of the pan) that is glued onto the bottom of the pan with some RTV silicone.  Extremely fast and easy to install.  Just make sure the bottom of the pan is very clean before you glue on the pad.

Hope this helps.

*edit* Just read your post that you live in MI.  No, I do not leave my truck plugged in all the time.  Depending on how cold it is outside, I plug it in 2 - 5 hours before I need to run it.  I also have a small heating pad under my battery.

Chris Burchfield

My 3500 Ram has the Cumins 6.7L. Came with a block heater installed on passenger's side. Got to looking and it did not come with the plug in cord. They wanted $29. for the cord on a truck they'd wanted $44,000 for. By the time I was through with em, they gave me the cord. I use to leave it plugged in when I was on call for the fire department. Made short time for warm up. Haven't had it plugged in since I retired. It was 10°F this morning in Memphis when I woke up. Pose to reach a high today of 22°F. Going down to nine degrees tonight.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

sd locke

thanks for the comments guys . i went and looked at the heaters that tsc has to offer . i think i am going to indiana this week i will check at rural king . to see what they have to offer for heaters . i didnt like the tsc magnetic ones . thanks steve

chevytaHOE5674

Napa here has block heaters in stock. I would check there.

SPIKER

I picked up a KATZ 14600 lower rad hose heater 600 watts, back just after x-mas, I installed it worked fine 1st time, today went to plug it in got nothing... :(   called TSC and the are out of stock and have to order a replacement will be next week some time... :(  I used the old trusty heat lamp which is how I have warmed my tractor for 8 years so far it works great.  I shine the heat lamp onto the engine side where fuel lines oil filter and fuel filters are all at.  clip the heat lamp onto the FEL hyd hose and wait about 20 min. all is warm & toasty esp the small injector lines which is the fuel that is got to get into the eng to fire up.   This seems to work great for my JM284 china tractor...  I keep the battery plugged in to a cheap china maintainer charger too...

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

fuzzybear

Quote from: submarinesailor on January 08, 2010, 12:45:21 PM
Hey Fussy,

Do you have a link to those quick disconnects you spoke of.  I have use for several of them - I like the idea of removing the battery.  Keeps the crap from messing around with my equipment when I am not there.

Bruce
Our NAPA dealer carries them. Alot of people use them here. At -30 even a brand new battery will only crank for about 30-60 seconds. I think I paid like $4 each. Well worth it, I have 6 batteries that go from one vehicle to another.
   At camp I use a tiger torch with 6" stove pipe and an old parachute over the equipment to start and thaw out everything.  We had some truck drivers from down south come up  here at -55 and they had no idea what they were doing.  Their trucks froze to the ground, brakes froze, fuel gelled. I had them going after 2 days and 2-100lb propane tanks. 
   Even insulated tarps thrown over the hood of a fully heated engine will keep enough heat in the cylinders to fire it up after 8 hours of -30 to -40.
   My Toyota only needs a pan of hot coals from the fire placed under the oil pan for 30 min.
Living off grid for so many years you learn how to start anything at -50.  Some times it may take all day, and by then your to tired to go any where. :)

Dave Shepard

Fuzzy mentioned hot coals, that's a million dollar tip right there. A lid off of a metal trash can works great. You can use coals from the stove, lump charcoal, or even briquettes. Works way better than a salamander because it heats the engine, not the air.

I just put a freeze-plug heater in the Wood-Mizer on monday. Took about a half hour. It's a 400 watt heater, and it looks like it's going to take about an hour and a half to heat it up in 20 degree weather. We run timers here on the farm. Two hours of on time is much cheaper then 8-10. ;D We've had a bunch of external "tank" type heaters, but have switched over to all frost plug type, they seem to last much longer, and work more efficiently .
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

timberfaller390

I have a ford 7710 that has a built in heater. I never know when I will need this machine in the winter so it stays plugged in all the time. I also have a magnetic heater for some of the smaller tractors and I just plug it in when I need it then remove the whole unit when I use the tractor. I tried the mag. heater on the 7710 one day just to see if it would work on the big tractor and I was not impressed. This tractor is pretty hard to start in the winter anyway. If you are going to put a heater on a big machine I would go with something besides the mag. unit.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

bill m

The tank type heaters draw a lot more electricity than the frost plug style and should only be run for a couple of hours. The freeze plug style are a lot lower wattage and should be plugged in overnight. They are also better for the coolant.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

sawguy21

The frost plug heaters seem to work the best but they don't last forever. Eventually they get corroded and need to be replaced. The in line heaters work well but tend to get air locked, they will over heat and burn out if not immersed in anti freeze.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WH_Conley

The inline should be standing straight up and sound like a percolator when running.
Bill

sd locke

her is something that is sad to say .i was 16 at the time working at salvage recycling place .owner just bought a brand new payloader  i think it was a cat . anyway one cold morning the main boss could not get it started . one guy said i can in about a hour or so . he started a fire underneath it . wasnt hot enough i guess so i seen him but some car and truck tires underneath the loader i  said is that a good idea he said i have done it for years . i said ok .  well the loader went up in flames burned to the ground

moonhill

As an off gridder I can not just plug something in.  I have to run a generator, so that has to start first.  I have a block heater in the truck but have never used it, this winter it didn't start one morning, the batteries are 4 years old I hope to get this winter out of them. 

I do use a space heater on the diesel saw mill, it only takes 15 minutes or so, it does warm the engine, I can place my bare hand on any metal part and it is warm to the touch and the mill fires right up.  I drape a tarp over the mill to enclose the heat, works on the fork lift too. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

thecfarm

I have 2 tractors,a BX 1800 Kubota,18 hp,which is a bear to start anytime under 40° and a Ford 2120 40 hp that will start real easy at 20°.I use a small magnetic heater on both.I put a blanket over each motor too.Makes a big difference on the small tractor,18hp.But not that much difference on the 40hp one.Just trying to tell you,size does matter.You did not say what size motor you are putting it on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

I've a 10 yr old 30 hp Deere with Yanmar 3 cyl diesel, and use no heater. Sits in an enclosed shed and temps get to 0 and below deg F. Not had any problem with it firing up within a couple revs. Once it didn't start, and found a need to drop the fuel bowl and apparently had some water in it. Am using the second battery which is now 6 yrs old.
Not trying to say that brand matters here either.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sd locke

cfarm . ford 2110 diesel 4 cyl . its starts good iam suprised but it cant be good for it iam sure so i figured that a heater would help . thanks guys

thecfarm

That's my way of thinking too.I never used one on the Ford.But do now if it's not on the Kubota.That Kubota is a hard starter.It's a BX series.I think they made this series as cheap as they could.First winter I had it,I thought I was going to wear the starter out on it.Probaly half way through the winter I went looking for a heater for it.That made a big differance.I put it in the Ford when I'm not using the Kubota.We just use really it to mow with and blow snow.I thought i might just as well use the heater  if I had it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Handy Andy

I got a new JD 7130 for Christmas.  Darn thing didn't come with a block heater, has this" manifold heater". Turn the key on and wait for the light to go out, and it starts.  Yesterday, it acted like the battery was dying, even after I put the space heater under it for 15 minutes.  But it did start. Think they said -9 degrees here.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

fuzzybear

I can't stress it enough.. use the thinnest oil you can in the winter.  Take one pint and leave it out beside the equipment, open it up one cold morning and try to pour it.  If it flows like molasses you need to get the pan heated.  Oil pumps pull oil from the bottom of the pan.  With a block heater the pan is usually still cold.  The oil on the crank bearings stays thick and the oil pump has to try and pull it through. It is VERY hard on starters and batteries.
   Even the new synthetic oils thicken up at cold temps. Although they require less heat to thin them out.

Don_Papenburg

I have a 7710  JD  that has started every time now .It came with a block heater( cord attached) but I have never used it.
It ran lousy only one time back when it was new ,I think that was from some bad fuel gelling . It took about an hour for it to operate proper.

I have an old propane gas stove  burner that I use to warm the 401 GMC motor  oil .  That beats building a fire with kindle and cordwood. 
I have had to use it on thw old 820 JD when it gets real cold . Moving 7"+ pistons takes warm oil.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!