iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buggs

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, May 24, 2004, 03:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Man we got locusts. Saturday night a buddy of mine had a locust party and he ate one... live! Ugh. Well it was pretty late in the evening.  I have some at my house but right next door at my brothers house there are millions. Walking around his house is like walking on cornflakes and the noise is like out of an old Si Fi movie.

They say they are going to get alot worse before they are gone. I know the dog loves them, We can't let her out without her scarfing up a few each walk.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Frickman

The last time we had locust a few years ago I didn't have to feed the cats for a couple of weeks. They liked the locusts better than our cat food.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

etat

I read here a while back where someone who thought they'd be good to eat fried up a bunch of em and they like to killed him. ???  Seems he was allergic to shell fish and they had the same affect on him.  Hadn't seen any around here in a long time.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Stan

It sure is nice, bein' hard of hearin' they ain't botherin' me near as much as the last year I rode the bus to high school.  :) :) :)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

OneWithWood

It is pretty deafening around here.  The cicadas are in everything.  I can't operate the mill without one or two taking up a position on the inside of my face shield or crawling around on my neck.  Yesterday one sat just on the bill of my safety helmet and proceeded to sing away.  I had to brush it off so I could concentrate on what I was doing - It didn't help, I got a thick at the end, thinner in the middle board anyway ???
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

johnjbc

Went out to camp this weekend and the noise was deafening. Started right after Sunup as soon as the sun hit the ridge top behind me and kept at it all day.  ::) ::)
Away if you want to try eating them here is a link to some recipes.  Maybe them guys that hang out in the swamp and eat Grits would enjoy them, but I will stick to beef and potatoes . 8) 8)

http://www.urhome.umd.edu/newsdesk/pdf/cicada%20recipes.PDF
http://aginfo.psu.edu/news/march04/Cicada.jpg
http://aginfo.psu.edu/News/march04/cicada.html

Soft-Shelled Cicadas
Shanghai Cicadas
Cicada Dumplings
Cicada Stir-Fry
Maryland Cicadas
El Chirper Tacos
Cica-Delicious Pizza*
The Simple Cicada
Sizzling Chili Cicadas
Emergence Cookies
Southern Cicada Tartlets
Banana Cicada Bread
Chocolate-Chip Trillers
Cicada-Rhubarb Pie
Chocolate Covered Cicadas

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Mark M

Back in the early 60's when we still lived in Indiana I remember looking for the shells of those bugs. We considered it a real treat to find one, but there were only a few around. If we found one with the bug still in it that was really something special! A few years ago I took my family back to Indiana and my kids got a pick a few too. They liked it just as much as I did.

I don't think I'd like to have them crawling on me. A couple of years ago a giant water beetle landed in my beard and darned near't gave me a heart attach. :o

SwampDonkey

OUCH!!!! leave the shirt will ya?!?!

Moose fly taken a chunk outta the clothes and the hide under it. Don't them eyes look hungry for blood? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Mmmmmm, Reckon them things would go good with Swamp Cabbage ??? ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sprucebunny

Swampdonkey--You forgot to say that the picture is approx. life size .
Did that one forget his fork and knife?Tsk Tsk!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D

37 mm with 3x digital zoom, plus 7 x zoom lens, and polarizer and UV protector lenses. Darn near life size, just a little bigger. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!