iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone purposely blue stain pine logs?

Started by oakiemac, January 07, 2020, 09:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poquo

Thanks Tule Peak your comments means a lot to me , the stuff you build is incredible .
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Southside

Gees - I thought he was talking about the sawyer side of things..... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

richhiway

I am in south eastern NY in the Catskill mountains. If you leave the white pine logs in warm weather for a year or two most of it gets blue stain. I just cut some that was nice. I might have a picture. The pine borers are hit and miss. The old timers cut the pine in winter and milled it before it warmed up so it would be clear and without holes. 

Funny now folks like all the defects.

The white pine I cut at camp in the Adirondacks 200 miles north of here doesn't have blue stain that I have seen. The pine borers up there were so loud in the campfire wood pile you could hear them chewing away. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

thecfarm

You are right about the noise those pine bores make. I could even see the sawdust come out of the hole too. Kinda odd the way those critters know when you are cutting pine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lawg Dawg

Very inconsistent...hard for me to make money like that...I like them fresh felled.  Haven't had any problems selling non stained pine...plus blue stain = mold
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

tule peak timber

I rarely get to see fresh felled due to all the layers of bureaucracy here . I buy truck loads of logs that typically are sold as firewood - that is YEARS old and the bugs , blue stain, rot are well underway. Learning to make lemonade from lemons is the key......

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

jimbarry

This 36" (butt end) eastern pine landed in my yard May 2018, snow white. 

In July 2019 I split it in half. You can see where the sap wood is blue. The beetle larvae were peppered throughout the sap wood.

tule peak timber

K-Guy

Quote from: tule peak timber on January 12, 2020, 10:11:54 AMI rarely get to see fresh felled due to all the layers of bureaucracy here . I buy truck loads of logs that typically are sold as firewood - that is YEARS old and the bugs , blue stain, rot are well underway. Learning to make lemonade from lemons is the key......

Pictures of beautiful work like this is why I don't let my wife look at these pages, I'd have to get a second or third job to pay for everything she wanted.
Nice work Tule Peak!!

The northwest coast (Wash. and OR.) love this wood and I've had guys from there asking how to make it happen more. With their humid environment it isn't hard for them.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

tule peak timber

Thanks, and I'll point out that every single piece was run through one of your kilns ! So thank you......... :)

oakiemac

I put the wp log back in the yard. I'll let it sit for another year and try again. I've had it of at least 2 years so I'm surprised it didn't blue any more than it did. It was laying in a field of tall grass so I'd think it would have plenty of moisture.

Loved those pictures of paneling and tables made of blue stained pine. Looks great.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

WDH

I sawed these today.  Came from a churchyard across the road from my driveway.  Shortleaf yellow pine.  Died earlier this year.  It was right next to the main powerline, and the Electric Coop had a tree service take it down.  I saw them felling it, and offered to take the logs off their hands so that they did not have to chip them.  They were more than amenable. I just knew that it would be nicely blued.  It sure was ;D. 

Blue pine was over 10% of my sales in 2019, but that was an off year.  2018 was over 20%.  In 2017, I sold 10,000 bf of blue pine, but that is right after I had to clearcut a 30 year old plantation that had a root rot disease.  I lost about 175 trees that I salvaged before and after the stand was harvested (could not sell the dead trees, only the live green ones), so I sawed a whack of the dead trees so I had a whack of blue pine in 2017.  The logs came from this stand.  These trees died and blued on the stump.

I have two customers coming to get some in the next few days.  I am planning to make a couple of sliding barn doors with this batch. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kevin Wright

Hi Folks,

After Several months of cutting Ponderosa Pine in California my observations are that to introduce blue stain you should cover the boards with  sawdust from a blue stained log.  The sawdust is wet and sandwiched between the boards rapidly allows the fungus to grow and colonize the boards.
Discovered this when I didn't remove the sawdust from all the boards.

Stickered boards without sawdust did not develop blue stain.

Boards not stickered and stacked close with sawdust had much more blue stain. 

This is not that different than growing shitake mushrooms on log stacks.

terrifictimbersllc

Attachment below is a 1929 scientific article on blue stain which was posted in an earlier thread on the subject.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!