iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 455 suitable for Haddon/beam maker?

Started by Smcn1984, September 14, 2020, 11:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smcn1984

Hello everyone!

Long time reader, first time poster. 

Straight to the point: leaning on the experience out there to guide me in the right direction to pick a saw for occasional chainsaw milling. Looking at a Husky 455.

Backstory: I live in the south, own about 300ish acres of land in south-central MS. Recently purchased a Haddon/beam maker to toy around with making beams for small projects such as deer stands, shooting houses, things of that nature. I'm not building anything crazy (yet), but would like the satisfaction of being able to use the trees around the property that need thinned out/dropped. Acreage is almost exclusively yellow pine, and diameter of logs would average between 12-18 inches. I'm talking maybe a dozen yellow pine annually, and not very big ones at that. Currently, I own a Husky 435. Does what I need it to do...trail maintenance, cutting the occasional tree that starts leaning after a storm, etc. It's never let me down, and I have milled maybe two pines with it using a ripping chain; logs were appx. 12 inches in diameter. I don't believe continuous milling with the 435 would be good for its longevity so I was looking at something a little bigger that would get the job done on both fronts, milling and property upkeep. The 455 caught my eye and I've admittedly fixated on it, but respect everyone's opinion and would like your thoughts.

Eventually, I'd like to work my way up to a portable sawmill, but that is many years down the line, so please don't recommend me to get one! Wife is a deputy sheriff and we'd probably have an "accidental taser discharge" if I came home with a sawmill. To note, I would also like to work up to an Alaskan, the Granberg MK-IV or something similar after I got somewhat proficient . Wood type/log diameter/frequency of use wouldn't change with the upgraded mill, so assuming the 455 could be used on that too. 

Thanks in advance for the advice/assistance.The below picture is in no way relevant to the conversation, but my kids are totally into watching me. And besides, who doesn't want to see Batman climbing on a log?

A-z farmer

Welcome to the forestry forum Smcn1984
My son bought a Alaskan mill years ago and used a 455 to power it with a 24 inch bar.I think the best thing about it was he had to learn how to properly sharpen a chain very often .It was a slow process cutting wood but he finally got good at it .
I have seen the beam makers advertising but never seen one in use .
The best to you in your beam making adventure.
Zeke

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum. 
I have never see a chainsaw mill. I just read that they are slow.
Sawmill may not be a bad idea. Build something for The Sheriff and that will keep you safe from the taser.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

I have one, it came along as my addiction progressed. It sits on a shelf in the mill shed just in case for beaking down logs to big to mill. 455 will work,  save a little more and get a bigger saw in the 70 cc range. Then when you need to buy the CSM attachment it will suffice to run it. ;)  Welcome.

Thank You Sponsors!