iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pecan ohhh my

Started by hopm, November 21, 2020, 10:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopm

I have cut some large pecan in the past and have been very pleased with the results. Some of it was as wide as 36". Honestly I doubted the issues some folks seemed to have with it. But now......I'm a believer!!!! I can't get nothing right!!!
Any advice greatly appreciated!!!

Trackerbuddy

Just the basics, which you already know.  Sharp blades, go slow don't push the equipment. Sticker immediately.
My Sawyer has been doing this for 25 years and as a rule he won't cut hickory, same thing as pecan.

SawyerTed

Some are able to get hickory and pecan to saw right and dry right.  I am not one of them.  My best use of hickory and pecan is to roast a pig....

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Walnut Beast

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hopm

Guy told me he had some more he wanted sawed. He did. 10'.....44".....
Yuck!!!!!!!!

sealark37

Band or circle saw, pecan and hickory have given more trouble than any other species.  Even with de-barked logs, I have seen sparks while trying to saw both.  Green offers fewer problems, but still tough.

hopm

WDH

This pecan has it all.  Waves, splits, pith cracks, ambrosia beetle holes, and wait, very special powderpost beetle holes.  Perfect for your rustic project :D :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

But can turn into this.  :(

WDH

Mooseherder

You did a good job drying it and she wanted rustic so it worked out well.  The planer and jointer got a workout.   Many bags of planer shavings.  When we got it good she proceeded to whack it with chains and took the draw knife to it.  Not what I wanted but the inclusion is what they insisted on.  I took some pictures of it last week when we babysat? 

hopm

After seeing the big log I suspect the first load was limbs. They were all 16" or so and cut 8' to 12'. Is that my issue of the difficulty ? Never cut anything even close to what I had in blade deflection and movement in the wood. Is it worth sawing?
Thanks in advance for any guidance you might give!!

WDH

If they were limb logs, it had to be like a trip to Hades over the river Styx :).

hopm

High_Water

I let mine sit for a couple years, takes the fight out of it.

Trackerbuddy

Limbs make good firewood.  It's all reaction wood 

hopm

I broke the news to the guy who brought the logs. He was reasonable but none too happy. I probably should have recognized it from the first load. Everything was 16" to 18" and 8'. I thought he had cut several smaller trees....then he rolled in with the 44" butt cut.....the picture came quickly into focus 

Trackerbuddy

Quote from: hopm on November 23, 2020, 03:25:38 AM
After seeing the big log I suspect the first load was limbs. They were all 16" or so and cut 8' to 12'. Is that my issue of the difficulty ? Never cut anything even close to what I had in blade deflection and movement in the wood. Is it worth sawing?
Thanks in advance for any guidance you might give!!
Talked to my Sawyer. Her said the trick to saying limbs is cut them in half and let them rest and relax. Of course the lower would have to tell you they are limbs ahead of time

Thank You Sponsors!