iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Covered Bridge Build

Started by Tony Sawmill, March 12, 2024, 08:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Sawmill

Metal roof and all roofing trim is done.  Installing the ridge cap solo over the 40' span was a pain for sure lol!   
I'm starting to work on the siding...can't wait to get it all trimmed out.  I hope to finish it this weekend before Easter.
It's such a satisfying feeling to know every bit of the lumber for this build came from my sawmill.

Resonator

Looks nice! :thumbsup:

Is there any risk of flooding on that stream? One of my family built a bridge over a creek on our hunting land that has survived a few floods. He set up cables and anchor posts on the ends to keep the span from completely washing away. It only takes minor work to set the ends back in place and grade the approaches if there is a major flood.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

I have three bridges (none are nice and covered) on my property and all three have washed out at various times.
IMG_7467.JPG
This one is still out and waiting for the bridge crew.  smiley_huh2
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tony Sawmill

Quote from: Resonator on March 27, 2024, 09:52:25 PMLooks nice! :thumbsup:

Is there any risk of flooding on that stream? One of my family built a bridge over a creek on our hunting land that has survived a few floods. He set up cables and anchor posts on the ends to keep the span from completely washing away. It only takes minor work to set the ends back in place and grade the approaches if there is a major flood.
For reference, it poured rain the day before I took those pics.  We had about 1.5" of rain in about 12 hours so that is the creek up a bit.  Despite the width of the creek we are within about 0.75 miles of the start of this creek and there is a 2.5 to 3 acre pond with earthen dam upstream on a farm up from me.  We have had rain events here of 6" in less than 24 hours and it never has gotten close to the level of the bridge.  
 In addition to the footings, it has steel driven into the shore that is welded to the frame.  The I-beams alone weighed just over 9,000 lbs when the crane lifted it plus the steel that was added so the frame alone is most likely around 10,000 lbs plus the weight of the deck and structure.  
Saying that...I'd be sad to see it wash away!  I'll hope that never happens and will enjoy it while I can.  It's certainly been an enjoyable and unique build and I smile every time I see it and I'm not even done with it yet.  :D 

Magicman

From your description, you are safe from high water damage.  Mine is much difference with over 3 miles from the stream head giving me over 300 acres of water shed.  I would love to build such as you are doing, but my smallest bridge has over 75 acres if water shed.

Your project is very professional and I am sure will provide many years of enjoyment.  ffsmiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

maple flats

A good point a few posts back, flooding. A few years ago I helped a good friend relocate his bridge that had washed away, it floater or was pushed by the force of fast moving water about 100' down stream He had rented a moderately large excavator but had no experience running one. I had experience but only with my 8000 lb class excavator. I drove the excavator out to the  stream. where it had originally been the friend said I could drive down the roughly 45 degree decline to the creek, it was about 50-60' long slope. I asked and there was an alternative approach. I drove that way, got to the creek, which had only a few inches of water in it, but was mostly bolders. I managed to get across the creek, climb the far side and weave back and forth to the old bridge. The old bridge was about 40' long, maybe 5 ft wide and was built on 4 logs  every other log was in the opposite direction, large end, small end , large end etc. with 2x10's as decking Then we attached chains and heavy ropes to it and slowly pulled it to it's original location. Then I got into the creek and tried to lift the far end of the bridge but the excavator didn't have enough power. I moved closer to that far end and managed to eventually pull it a few inches at a time. After maybe 90 minutes I had the bridge back in place and drove the excavator back to his house. There I showed him how to operate an excavator and watched him do a few tasks with it. I then had to leave. Later I found out he had taken the excavator back to the creek and lifted the bottom end up and built support to hold the bridge about 5' higher than original. That was to minimize the risk of the bridge moving again in a flood.
A few years later he moved to near Syracuse, NY and his Petite little wife went to school to learn heavy equipment operation. She is now a heavy equipment operator and is working on the Interstate Rt 81 relocation in Syracuse. Go figure, I'll bet she can now run an excavator better than I ever will.
Sorry for the long story, but hopefully it helps you decide if you need to guard against flooding rather than fixing it after the fact. while after is an option it's not the best option.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

doc henderson

My brother did heavy road construction for many years, and he always said, "the women are easier on the equipment".  they are not trying to show up the next guy.  some were a bit rough so not necessarily easy on the eyes.   ffcool   :snowball:   smiley_hardhat smiley_hairbow help_me :toilet:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

Equipment operators, one way or 'nuther.  ffcool
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tony Sawmill

I still have to build the gates for the middle section and the far gabled end but it's getting close to done.

Ed_K

The construction company I worked for in TX. got a job building a 5 mi. railroad spur. The boss hired Rita to run dozer, by the time she was done she had john deere 450, 650,750 an 850 under her belt. On another job we had her operating a john deere 762 scraper. She was really good on it. Hated the 750 (no air) but like the 850 best, said it could push some dirt.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!