iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problems with Azaleas and rhododendrons

Started by Dan_Shade, June 28, 2019, 08:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I'm posting this here because it's an "identity my problem request".  I wasn't real sure about which board to post into....

Our Azaleas and rhododendrons look awful. We put some fertilizer on today.  The soil has a lot of clay. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DelawhereJoe

You may want to look into your soils ph, I believe they will tolerate ph down to 4.5 and like the 5-6 range. You should be able to get a cheap soil kit from a hardware store or big box store.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Ianab

Yup, they originally came from temperate rainforest area, and like rich acidic soil and plenty of water.  They grow well in my area, and one of the biggest Rhododendron gardens in the world was just up the road from where I grew up. I was basically carved out of the native rain forest in the foothills of the Mt, where they get 160-180" of rain annually. 

There are some hints here on growing them. Part shade, peat and cow manure in the soil to lower the pH, and a deep layer of mulch (old leaves etc) to keep the moisture in etc. 
https://m.yates.co.nz/flowers/grow/growing-azaleas/

This is apparently the biggest rhododendron in the Sth Hemisphere, by the war memorial monument in Inglewood, a few miles up the road. So they must grow well in our climate / soil. 
Google maps

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Southside

How much sun are they getting? What side of the house are they on?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dan_Shade

Partial sun in the morning they're on the east side of the house. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Roxie

Mine are on the north side and in the shade of the house, which is also the most moist area of my property.  They are mulched in small stones over landscape paper.  I use Hollytone fertilizer in the spring. 

The rhododendron on the right side, and the azalea by the door are 30 years old. 

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!