iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chestnut ID Help

Started by Hydestone, October 16, 2023, 04:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydestone

Hi All:

I have what I think is a Japanese Chestnut, but am not positive. The majoring of the nut pods have 3 nuts, but most are not full size. They sort of seem shriveled up. But every dozen or so, I'll get a very large chestnut. 

Any ideas?

Safe to eat the shriveled up smaller nuts?

Hydestone

KEC

I'm curious if someone can ID your tree. I'm waiting to hear the verdict on the feds deciding if they will approve the genetically modified chestnut trees. I would like to plant some.

rusticretreater

Japanese or Chinese Chestnut.  Hard to really tell.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

pesaventoc

I would say Chinese. the small under developed nuts are from poor pollination. It takes 2 to tango, another chestnut within a few hundred yards to fertilize the momma tree.
EZ Boardwalk Jr., homemade log arch ,1610D Yanmar

NewYankeeSawmill

I have a chestnut on my property that looks very similar, nuts are the same, too. I always assumed it was a hybrid. The researching I did online suggested 3-nuts = hybrid. Never did try eating them, squirrels get there first!
There's a plot of them nearby, looks like someone planted an acre or two about 50 years ago (based on their size), which jives w/ the die-off and re-planting efforts stateside. After the blight some folks made efforts to re-introduce the hybrid species. The one I have was clearly planted as an ornamental, but I have not seen any others nearby. I _do_ have beehives, and they do visit that tree when it is in bloom, so... had me wondering about the poor-pollination comment by @pesaventoc , could be my problem as there is no known donor nearby.
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Thank You Sponsors!