iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood identification

Started by yomtates, January 09, 2024, 09:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yomtates

Hi everyone , New here and would love to be apart of this group to glean some much needed information. I have been a driftwood artist for the past 30 years. Combing the shores of the Chesapeake Bay and it's tributaries. My question is  some of the wood I have a hard time putting an ID on. For example how do I tell the difference between Osage and Mulberry? I love carving them both very dense and great for putting details. They both have a really cool color when I dig into them which fades a bit by the time I finish. Is there a way to ID them? Thanks for your time.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Do you have a 10x hand lens? Or better yet, maybe a way to prepare a slide and use a microscope?  ;)

osage
Osage Orange | The Wood Database (Hardwood)

mulberry
Mulberry | The Wood Database (Hardwood)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

yomtates

When I'm carving is there a characteristic  of the wood that differs between Osage and Mulberry? Sometimes I find pieces that are an electric yellow color when I first dig into them. Oder wise neither one has anything thats distinct.

Don P

Electric... Does mulberry glow in black light? Osage and black locust do.

KEC

If there is a large university with a forestry department near you, they might be able to help. When I hauled logs the mill had a tree length log come into the yard and nobody could ID it. They contacted the SUNY College of Environmental Science & Forestry in Syracuse, NY and they ID'd it as Hackberry, which is locally uncommon.

Southside

Well Mulberry will turn dark brown, think Park Service sign brown, once it's exposed to air and light.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

Hand lens on smooth end grain is a positive ID.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

yomtates

KEC

Yomtates, Welcome to the forum and we want to hear what you determine the wood to be. And how you fiqured it out.

Thank You Sponsors!