iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help me ID another tree!

Started by fnaguitarplayer, January 30, 2024, 12:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnaguitarplayer

Hey, me again, had another tree fall and I'm pretty sure I know what this is but not having any leaves or buds this time of year makes it difficult for me! Thanks for any help you all can provide!

KEC

What geographic area is this? The cut end resembles Hard (Sugar) maple; the bark photos not so much.

Jeff

I'd say red maple. Probably certainly a maple
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Does look like red maple. The buds should be rounded and shoot tips red (last year's growth).
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fnaguitarplayer

Sorry forgot to put my location, im in West Virginia! I was thinking a type of maple but was not 100% sure! Thanks again

Magicman

Add your location to your profile and we will always know.  Locations always help when answering questions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WLzM1A

Quote from: fnaguitarplayer on January 31, 2024, 07:55:54 AMSorry forgot to put my location, im in West Virginia! I was thinking a type of maple but was not 100% sure! Thanks again
West By God Virginia that is.  Welcome aboard :thumbsup:
Echo CS-310
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl MS250
Stihl 025
Echo CS-8000
Stihl 011 AVT
Stihl 066 Magnum
Dolmar PS-401
McCulloch MAC 160S
McCulloch Power Mac 6
Homelite Super EZ  X2
Homelite 330
Sears H58D
Whitehead 180 wall hanger

Lone Elm British Labrador Retrievers
AKC Fox Red and Black
Veteran Owned

KEC

The fact that the tree is down by the creek is somewhat supportive to say soft maple.

Don P

I think I've gotten more curly off red maple than anything.

Danny W, who passed a couple of weeks ago was, among other traditional skills, a horse logger. When some lost southern pine beetles got into a remnant colony of red spruce up on Mt Rogers the forest service called Danny. It was a sensitive area frequented by hikers and some who didn't understand still gave him a hard time. He put the fire out, by hand. The lower grade logs came here to be processed for architectural use. The instrument quality went to a local luthier. I'm pretty sure some of that ended up in one of Clapton's guitars.

SwampDonkey

I remember thinning a small area of my land with a clearing saw. I was leaving sugar maples along the bank of a stream. Well the beavers never thanked me, and took them all. Greedy bunch. :D That patch was originally mature sugar maples. But most of my maples elsewhere are red with tiny patches of sugar on 3 or 4 areas, then sparse through the fir ground. A porky living in my warming shelter, the part with the fire wood is a separate lean to. He targeted a pole sized sugar maple and stripped every speck of bark off it this winter, from trunk to tip. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PoginyHill

The biggest help for me in separating red and sugar maple from the bark is that sugar maple bark is very tight. Ridges will not easily come off by hand. Red maple can have very similar-looking bark, but the ridges (scales) can be removed rather easily.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

fnaguitarplayer

Here's another pic, showing the buds on the end

SwampDonkey

Those buds and twig say sugar maple to me.

Here's red

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!