iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fair price on some Stihl saws?

Started by VT_Forestry, April 25, 2011, 01:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT_Forestry

Have a few auctions coming up and I was wondering if anyone had some insight on what to pay for a couple saws.  There are some  038 Magnums (1996 and 1999 models I think) for sale as well as some 2005 361s.  Any ideas?  They are in good shape as I know the crews that used them.  Thanks! 
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

aldo

Hi VT, can't help with my opinions on price seeing they go for a bit more down under but there is a thread on this with a small amount of info

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,50077.0.html

cheers

Al

Al_Smith

You could look it up on flea bay which would be high normally .Craigs list would probabley be more realistic though .

A thing to keep in mind is that on flea bay the item is exposed to the whole world .With Craigs list you are only dealing with the buyer and the seller .Flea bay could have "shills " bidding an item up on the sly .Craigs list it's either aye or nay and you either walk away with saw in hand or just go about your way empty handed and let the next guy haggle over price .One thing about saws ,they made a lot of them .

VT_Forestry

True, there are lots of saws out there.  I am thinking I'll bid on these and if I get one or more of them, great, if not...no big deal.  From past auctions it looks like these things are averaging around $100 so if I get them for that or even a little higher, I'll be happy  :)  I guess the true value of something is determined by what you're willing to pay.  If I pay $150 for a saw and feel like I got a good deal, that's all that matters  :) 

Al_Smith

If you can land them for a hundred a pop you'll be doing okay even if they need some work .

SwampDonkey

I was going to say VT, even on a used FS550 I'd never fork over more than $250. That's because, if the frame work, moldings, screws gas tank, flywheel and handle bars were all good and I am using these saws for parts, if nothing else, I got my money's worth even if the engine is shot to snot. Just the top half of the tower is $75 bucks new, handle bars same., flywheel $125, tube probably $50, and shaft $125. Soon adds up.

I know it's not a brush saw, but if they are at least parts saws for ones you have that is a plus. But otherwise starting out $100-150 as your thinking is probably about the limit.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

VT_Forestry

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll throw a few bids on them and see what happens.  There are a total of 8 saws, a few string trimmers, and some blowers.  I wouldn't mind one of the 038 Magnums and a 361, and a trimmer would be good too...can never have too many toys  :) Luckily I have a pretty good feel for how these saws were used and I know their maintenance schedule

aldo

In a haste purchase I think I have been done on an 038 Mag but hopefully not. Time will tell, it's in the post.

Good luck with yours ;)

VT_Forestry

The auction ended this afternoon, got an 038 Magnum for $200, MS361 for $225...little more than I was hoping for but I think I still did pretty good on them.  Should be able to pick them up on Monday  ;D

01crewcab

Not that it counts for much, but there were 2 038's on the local craigslist here in the Seattle area that both went for well over $300.00. Granted they both looked spotless?
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

VT_Forestry

Picked them up today, gave them a good once over, put some gas in them and they fired right up  :D  That 038 sure is a lot louder than the 361 and my 310 haha

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ely

Cut4fun

Here a 038 super right now $200,  038 mag $275 and a MS361 $325 on CL.

VT_Forestry

Quote from: ely on May 10, 2011, 05:23:35 PM
i think you done good on them.

Im thinking I did too...the magnum still has the protective plastic over the 038 tag.  Whats funny is the 038 Super AV went for $310 and an MS250 went for $290...my Mag was $202 and the 361 was $227.  Little bit of research helps I guess  :D

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raphael

Don't think I pay over $50 for my Dad's MS250... but then I know how much cutting he does with a dull blade.   :D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

VT_Forestry

I remembered the "pics or it never happened" theme here...so here they are  :) my original 310 is in the back, the new-to-me 361 is in the middle and the 038 Mag is up front

Louisiana boy

I have a friend that owns a pawn shop and I asked him how they determine the price to pawn a used item and he told me they look up the price of the item new and offer 40% of that price. This amount goes down depending on condition. Good condition used item, I wouldn't pay over 60% of new price unless it was something I really needed on wanted. 

woodbe

I love my 038 MAG. I let a friend use it while I ran to town and almost had to fight him to get it back. I got it used and in rough shape but it has run grate from day one. I bought it for $200 then replaced the bar and all of the mounts. It is loud but cuts fast. That and the 056 are fun to use.

Woodbe

Thank You Sponsors!