iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How desirable are rough cut rounds

Started by Floridacutter, August 22, 2018, 12:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floridacutter

I just got a canon bar that is going to allow me to mil slabs and rounds 46". Are the rounds going to be desirable to people wanting to make coffee or end tables?  I'm new to milling and only have an Alaskan mill but have found people are interested in slabs so I thought I would try rounds.  I have 3 trees (white oak,  water oak and a pecan) all over 40". Am I going to have particular problems with any particular wood in drying such as worping or cracking that should be addressed? We do many large trees and I'm looking forward to keeping all this beautiful wood out of the dump.  Also this is my first post to the forum so if it's too long please advise... thanks much

Solar_HoneyBee0

FC,

Hey welcome! In my experience the rounds have been a hit and miss situation. That doesn't mean I don't believe you should cut them, but for me it seems that I always have interest in the rounds and when I finally have them they aren't interested. That's just my 2 cents.

As far as the warping and cracking issues I will always thicker rounds around 16/4. Is that over kill? Probably, but it has worked the best for me with drying. At 16/4 the wood doesn't seem to move much when you sticker it and weigh it down. Any warping and cracking can be planed out with a router sled at that point.

Anyways, just my 2 cents. Welcome to the forum!

WDH

I get some calls for them, but not a great amount.  Cracking and splitting is a big risk.  Those three species that you mentioned are very prone to pith cracking, even in normal boards, so expect some degrade and losses. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bandmill Bandit

Rounds (we call em cookies in this neck of the woods) are a tough lot. I do cut quite a few in the 10 to 12 inch range with some up to 20". Mostly single use for wedding or special dinners and banquets. 

Some people do try to make other thing from them but they just dont last much more than a couple of years as a rule. 

I sell em for $8 for the small ones and up to $50 for the big ones.

Most orders in the 50 to 100 pieces for the small ones with 2 or 3 big ones for the cake.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!