iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pics of DIY mill after upgrades

Started by BCsaw, August 09, 2014, 01:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCsaw

I finally got around to putting some pics of the mill up. I upgraded the saw head "slides" to rollers. It is much easier to move up and down with less issues. My mill sat for a while and the slides started to seize up. Hence the change. It received a new paint job while I was at it.

I am currently using an offshore 13hp to run the mill. I have a 14hp Kubota to retrofit onto the mill this winter. I could have done that now, but I have some lumber to get sawn before the snow flies!

The aluminum tank up top is the lube tank. I built it with a handle so I can remove it easily and carry it, especially in winter. I used a porta power as my hydraulic pump for my band tension system. There is a small single acting ram to provide the force. A hydraulic gauge lets me know what is being applied and I use an isolation valve to keep pressure on the ram while sawing and relax the pressure from the pump.

Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

yukon cornelius

very nice! you will be making dust soon!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

biggkidd

Wow great job! I am in the process of building a mill myself. So the more pics the better. Thanks for taking time and posting what you've done.

Larry
Echo 330 T, Echo 510, Stihl Farm Boss, Dolmar 7900, Jinma 354 W/ FEL, & TPH Backhoe, 1969 M35A2,  1970 Cat D4
Building a Band Mill  :)

BigJim2185

Great work.  Thanks for posting the pics.
-Thomas 8020 w/10' extension
-New Holland TC45D w/ fel and farmi jl501

leroy in kansas

That's looking really good. Looks like the roller setup should do the trick.  Did it shorten your travel ?

BCsaw

Thanks for the comments everybody.
I will post more pics soon. I still have to paint the track. It is still in primer.

Leroy, I did lose some travel, but it can still cut a 36" log......so I think I am good! :D

Biggkid, let me know exactly what you are interested in and I will be sure to get pictures.

mad murdock

That is a VERY NICE DIY mill there!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

21incher

Great looking build. Are you just using a single roller for the blade guides?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

biggkidd

Quote from: BCsaw on August 09, 2014, 03:48:24 PM
Thanks for the comments everybody.
I will post more pics soon. I still have to paint the track. It is still in primer.

Leroy, I did lose some travel, but it can still cut a 36" log......so I think I am good! :D

Biggkid, let me know exactly what you are interested in and I will be sure to get pictures.

I'm interested in everything not just for myself but for all the DIYers out there. Your build looks to be one of the better DIY builds I've seen. Mine isn't going to be nearly as fancy but hopefully functional.

Thanks for sharing.

Larry
Echo 330 T, Echo 510, Stihl Farm Boss, Dolmar 7900, Jinma 354 W/ FEL, & TPH Backhoe, 1969 M35A2,  1970 Cat D4
Building a Band Mill  :)

BCsaw

21 incher, the band guides are a Linn Lumber Mills product. Simple with easy to find bearings should the need arise. I used their brass nuts/blocks for the acme threaded rod on the raise lower as well. I did not buy their whole raise/lower package, just the brass nuts. I had the acme rod turned on the ends down to 3/4" at a local machine shop. Getting stuff shipped across the border is murder with the duty taxes added.

drobertson

Nice build!  very neat and tidy, I like your choice of color too, very attractive,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WmFritz

Very nice upgrades BC.
I need to do a bunch to mine, too. My problem is when I got it built to the point I could saw, all my other planned features are still sitting on the shelf.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

MSSawmill

Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

BCsaw

Wm fritz, that is the trap! The guy sitting on your other shoulder should be saying, "No don't do it".

After I had mine welded up solid, I even contemplated not painting it just so I could get sawing lumber again. :D

BCsaw

Wm fritz, that is the trap! The guy sitting on your other shoulder should be saying, "No don't do it".

After I had mine welded up solid, I even contemplated not painting it just so I could get sawing lumber again. :D

WmFritz

I'm glad you took the time for the new paint. It looks good.

I have the same porta-power waiting to go on. I have a 1/2" drive ratchet with socket sitting on the mill for the tensioner.  :-\
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

BCsaw

Wmfritz, Did you find it difficult to find the sweet spot for the tension?

WmFritz

Not at all. I have no gauge, so my tension is by feel on the wrench. I've had good luck with it sawing flat and have never broken a band, so that has a bit to do with my procrastinating on the hydraulic tensioner.

I really wanted one of those nice units from Linn Lumber when I was putting my components together for the build. I just couldn't pull the trigger on the $700.00 or so those things cost. Hence the cheapo porta-power and gauge I bought and still sits on the shelf.

Jeff had a few blade tension gauges at the Pig Roast for door prizes and would've liked to won one (Tom). I should buy one to make sure my tension is consistent, but as of yet, the only time I get a wavy cut is from me leaving a dull blade on too long.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

BCsaw

Well that just goes to show you that lots of times there can be more than one way to accomplish things.

That is the whole reason we do this.......flat square boards/timbers.
If your set up can do that well who is to say different.

We all might have our preferences. I'm sure you could have 10 people look at my mill and come up with 10 different things they would have changed or done different.
;D ;D

thecfarm

I don't do alot of sawing. I just guess at my tension. I must be a good guesser too.  ;D I just push down on the blade with my thumb.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!