iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Upgrades and Bigbutt WRC beams(pics)

Started by Percy, October 24, 2004, 05:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Hey everyone.
Been upgrading the mill complex..heh.. for the last week and thought Id show them off.

I needed A.C. power real bad for a chop saw so I found a belt driven generator(5000 watts) and hooked it up to the 11 horse Honda that USED to power the conveyor.

Then I built a chop/trim table and installed my Makita compound sliding saw.

Now Im getting clear cuttings from crappy WRC boards- net result is more coin. I used to do this anyways but it was a pain with the Husky 288 ;D and a bit dangerous. Now that I have power, I wonder how I managed with out it. Im gonna build a little "clubhouse" and put my sharpener and a coffee pot in it....some day ;D

I now power the conveyor with an electric motor(2 hp) which kinda grunts a little when starting but once she gets up to speed, it will carry a 24 inch wide by 16 foot flitch up and over to the accumulator like it wasnt there.
Hmm..meybey I should move the bobcat door. Whattya think? :D :D :D

This time of year,the only thing selling in WRC is 6X6(way in back behind the mill-far upper right) and clears.

EXCEPT for special orders like these 12X20 WRC beams. The long ones are just over 21 feet long and the two center ones are 16.5 feet long.  They pay good money for these things but I spend alot of time hunting for the right logs and trying to buy them for a decent price. :D

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Fla._Deadheader

Nice mods there, Percy. Are the shorts really shorter than 8 feet???

What kind of market buys those??? I always thought that the lumber needed to be 8'-3" , unless you had a special order ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Percy

Heya FDH.
Concerning the shorts, we get around a buck a board foot for 3ft,4 ft, 5ft, and 6 ft short WRC clears. The good prices start at 7 ft and up. Packaging the shorts is kinda neat. 9 foot long lifts with the 3's and 6's spliced together along with the 4's and 5's. You start the lift with a row of utility 8 foot 2Xwhatever to help keep the thing together. ;D

I have been toying with the idea of the 8 inch thru 36 inch clears for fingerjointing plants but the price is a bit skinny as my guzzintas say the wages for the chopsawyer completely eats any profit from doing it let alone paying for fuel yaddayadda.. The packaging is done in a very specific manner so the buyer can just fire them in the kiln. Self Stickerng, they call it.

Gilman

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

karl

Cool mods- makes me want power at the mill too, course prob'ly the roof should come first ::)

Like to see more pics of your accumilator too.

wish we had cedar like that 'round here, used some for paneling ,siding and benches/ paneling in a couple of saunas- VERY expensive in this neighborhood. Have to special order it as NOBODY stocks it other than B grade clapboards.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Percy

Heya Karl
Here are some pics I posted last year showing off some of my stuff. I have more roof since these pics were posted. Cant have enuff roof around here ;D. We dont tan in Terrace, we rust :D :D :D
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=1060572657

karl

Now ya done it!!!

I've been lookin' all over for a conveyor for firewood and for sawdust from the mill. Read a bunch of posts about folks using corn elevators etc. Only one I found had been driven over and left for dead until it was rusted solid.

Can't believe that with all the stuff I have homemade over the years it never occured to Olde Phuzz Brane here to just build one. ::)

Thanks for the pics- already making sketches. 8)
Now where did I see that junk pile.....

PS Hadta brag about MORE roof didnya? ;) ;D
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

OutlawB52

Hello Percy and thanks for the post . How are you pricing a large 21 ft WRC beam ? I just picked up some WRC poles. Thanks, Rod

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Percy

Quote from: OutlawB52 on April 23, 2019, 06:20:15 AM
Hello Percy and thanks for the post . How are you pricing a large 21 ft WRC beam ? I just picked up some WRC poles. Thanks, Rod
Whoaa!! Thats from a ways back....
We arnt cutting that much WRC these days because the logs have become uber expensive.....used to be $5000.00 for a load of logs, now its approaching 20,000,.00. I do cut some but it is mostly special order.
This is our pricelist in Canadian dollars so convert accordingly. For anything over 20 feet, add 15%

Lumber Pricing 2019
WRC STK 20' and shorter

(Thickness X 1.0)

1x4/2x4/3x4/$2
1x6/2x6/3x6/$2.2
1x8/2x8/3x8/$2.4
1x10/2x10/3x10/$2.6
1x12/2x12/3x12/$2.8

(Thickness X 1.1)

4x4/$2.2
4x6/$2.42
4x8/$2.64
4x10/$2.86
4x12/$3.08

(Thickness X 1.2)

6x6/$2.64
6x8/$2.88
6x10/$3.12
6x12/$3.36

(Thickness X 1.3)

8x8/$3.12
8x10/$3.38
8x12/$3.64

(Thickness X 1.4)

10x10/$3.64
10x12/$3.92

(Thickness X 1.5)

12x12/$4.20

Thank You Sponsors!