iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill booth

Started by Bruno of NH, November 11, 2023, 03:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andries

That sounds like a bunch of extra work, but those beams support the whole roof, so you do what you gotta do. 
Was the settling a nasty surprise, or is it expected and you set up the cable and king post to compensate? 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Bruno of NH

I had a feeling it they would settle because of the green lumber. I figured it would need to be tightened after a year or so . I'm not worried, I like to over build just for the piece of mind.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Andries

Quote from: Bruno of NH on November 12, 2023, 06:27:44 PM. .  I'm not worried, I like to over build just for the piece of mind.
I'm with you there, that's how I roll too.
"If it's worth doing - it's worth over doing." 
Thanks for the details Bruno, and wishing you a good winter of milling from your comfy booth. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

rusticretreater

Just tell them to stand right there and breath in the sawdust.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Old Greenhorn

Bruno, when I first read your post about the snide comment it made me SO angry that I dared not reply with my thoughts. Really, I was pretty livid. BUT, the other folks calmed me down a bit and made me realize you have to consider the source and the nature. Only you can do that.
 I am with Jeff on this and it is well beyond insulting, it is judgmental from a person that has no basis to judge. If they had said that to me, my knee jerk response would be "and just how the #@!* would YOU know? How much time have you spent standing in front of a sawmill during Maine winters?!"
 Of course good natured ribbing from good friends is another matter and I have one or two that just can't let some things go, but I take it in and laugh. ;D

A couple of years ago I was a guest 'student' at a weeklong music camp and one of the elective classes I took was in performance skills. I took the class because 'performance' comes into play a lot in teaching and other things and I was still teaching at the time. (It did help me be better, BTW.) Anyway, one session they had a group of touring performers as a 'panel' discussing dealing with fans and the public and how to take compliments. They got into talking about 'backhanded compliments' and had a long list of 'compliments' and comments that were downright insulting. It blew me away how rude some people can be, but most of those comments were meant sincerely and the point they tried to make was that no matter how insulting they were perceived to be, they weren't intended to be taken that way. The class opened my eyes to what I have said to artists over the years intending to be complimentary, but perhaps not.
 This whole thought, especially given this thread being on my mind, was very much in my mind Friday night. After the show I was talking with Sara Lee Guthrie and she had said she was a 'folk singer' during the show. I asked her about this and said "I don't want this to sound wrong, but to me, the songs you write and the way you craft your music strikes me as the older good country music of the 40's and 50's." I watched her face and waited to see if I said something dumb, she broke out a big grin (and she has a big grin!) and just said 'Why, THANK YOU! THAT is exactly what I am going for!' Still even as I was saying it, I felt my foot going further and further down my throat.

My Pop always said 'Don't suffer the fools' and I believe it is correct. Never do mental battle with unarmed people. Next time those jerks order wood I think your waiting list should get longer, just for them.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

People, present company excluded, have absolutely no idea what it takes to make a small business run, especially a production operation like your mill Bruno.  Easy for me to say, well not really but, just forget them.  Now if one of us was there and made such a comment and laughed it would be obvious it was a joke, but the average schmo - forget about him.  I hear the same sort of thing now and then because  today we own a decent chunk of land, "Oh must be nice to come from money" or some garbage like that.  When my wife and I bought our place there was a bulldozer parked by the house and we convinced the seller not to level it like he had all the other buildings on the farm.  No septic, no electric, well didn't function and there wasn't a blade of grass on the place.  We started with zero and worked 80+ hours a week for years, still do, no different than what you have done Bruno.  Do what you do, take care of yourself, and forget about the Debbie Downer wann-a-bees.    
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Sixacresand

Yours is heated.  If I had it, the focus would be on air conditioning.  Good planning and setup, Bruno!
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Bruno of NH

I'm adding more pictures of the diesel heater. These things work great very easy to work on and service.
I changed my dewalt battery charging station to wall hung.
Added a shelve and small drawered tool box over the doggy door . Looking to move more tools out here so I can make sure they get put back.
This year i added a water seperator to the heater. It was never a problem but i have seen others do it .

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

moosehunter

If you gotta be out there working, make it as comfortable as possible. Nice job!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Sod saw

Bruno,   Your truss:    Glad to learn that you are intending to add 1/2 inch plywood to one side.

If you add one thickness layer of plywood, the truss will still be able to sag.  The seams between each joint where two sheets meet have been known to open up with time.

If you add a second layer of plywood and glue and screw that second sheet over top of the first sheet with the seams staggered so that the whole truss becomes one continues sheet of plywood for the whole length of the truss.

As Don would probably point out, be sure to use some sort of structural screws, not just handy "deck screws".

Your booth (office) is a great idea.  Having lived for a while in NH as well as VT I remember that your winters can be long and that booth probably increases your production efficiency.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Bruno of NH

I will most likely use nails on the plywood when putting it up. Nails are better in a situation like this . 

Bruno of NH

Added more insulation, aluminum sheeting and moving blanket around the command control unit.
I'm draft fee around the console now . Ready for the cold weather. 

Magicman

I love to read about your keep on keeping on attitude Sir.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CCCLLC

You certainly  are a motivation to me to improve  and make better. Thanks for sharing. 

longtime lurker

Good businesses grow. And along with the growth comes change in how and what we need to do to get through the workload. I cannot run my business anymore from beside a saw... maybe in a few years or so I can afford an office admin who can do all the management stuff and a machinist to run the drymill and I can go back to being a sawyer myself. But for now I can't. That doesn't make me lazy that makes me successful, and that success came from working my tail off 80 hours a week. I'm still doing 80 hours a week, it's just right now a lot of it is spent on the phone.

Enjoy your booth you've earnt it. I'm just a little jealous because its obvious you've found a way to run your operation from the saw, and mine hasn't gone that way. I like sawing logs and I miss it, or at least I think I miss it. Maybe it was just simple and didn't have all the stressful learning curve stuff I'm having to deal with now... I did a full day on the saw a few months back and really enjoyed it until about half way through the day when I was thinking about all the things I should have been doing instead of indulging myself playing with my toys.

The same guys with their comments about you getting lazy will be keen enough to sit in the booth discussing their jobs with you come winter. Block them at the door :D 
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!