iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nylon banding verses steel which is best

Started by plasticweld, April 13, 2011, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plasticweld

The guy I work with runs a small mill and was looking into banding and compared costs of steel verses nylon. It is less to get started with nylon but it is not as strong. Any advice as to which way is works best and which is more cost effective..Bob

Larry

The important thing is what the buyer will accept.  Most want to see steel on either lumber or slabs.

You can get started on the cheap by getting a 300' roll of steel with the clips for less than $50.  I've got a HF crimper that will work on either steel or plastic.  Picked up a couple of tensioners at auctions.  And if you know somebody that wants to buy or trade for a 1-1/4" heavy duty crimper let me know...I may just have one. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bibbyman

Our customers don't care one way or the other. 

We've switched to plastic years ago.  Lots of advantages - cost for one,   it stretches a little so tends to keep bundles tight even if they're around sticked and drying lumber, and it does not rust or stain the lumber.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

red oaks lumber

i won't use plastic this world is filled with that destructive stuff. i use steel  buy 4,000 ft rolls 3/4 for $65 after its useds and used we recycle it and get paid for it. does that work for plastic?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

stavebuyer

I have used both and prefer the plastic. Both are widely used.

Larry

Quote from: red oaks lumber on April 13, 2011, 12:59:51 PM
i use steel  buy 4,000 ft rolls 3/4 for $65 after its useds and used we recycle it and get paid for it. does that work for plastic?

Where you getting it for that price?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

red oaks lumber

mcgegors strapping supply in georgia somewhere if you want i'll get the phone number tommorrow.

paul case

red oaks has a good point. thats  all i have to say about that.

i use nylon. baileys $99 strapping kit is where i started.  $.08 ft for more strap and more for buckles. i tried a uline product that is lighted and cheaper. a lot cheaper. 3000 ft and 300 buckles for less than $50. works good enough for me. i can put 4 of these on a bundle and have less money around it than 1 poly strap. pm me if you want mo info . pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

PineNut

I use a plastic product from U-Line. Most of my strapping is for my own use and I band most anything I move around. The plastic and the buckles can be used over and you only lose about 2 inches of strapping every time you use it.

red oaks lumber

for our bundles that are deadstacked we use 2'' rachet straps keeps the pile secure and straps last for years, sure beats repiling after you knock them over

Brucer

There's all kinds of "plastic" strapping.

I use the polyester strapping sold by Bailey's (our new gallery sponsor) to hold my slab bundles together. It's stronger than 1/2" steel strapping and the rolls are lighter and easier to move around the yard.

I tell my slab customers that I can recycle the strapping and I get about 80% of it back. On average it gets reused 3-4 times.

When I used steel strapping I couldn't get the recycling facility to take it. They don't want "thin" pieces of steel.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Kansas

We switched from  steel to plastic when steel got so high. It looks exactly like Bibbys. I believe we been getting it from McGregors. I think its stronger than steel. 3/4 inch wide in rolls that look a lot like steel, put the roll on a dispenser, and uses clips that crimp on. Its a little more than half the cost of steel, last I remember. I doubt we will ever go back.

Thank You Sponsors!