iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bosch cp4

Started by snowstorm, February 19, 2021, 05:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

anyone had one fail ?? 6.7 in one of my f550's stopped would not start. scanned it only makes 1400 psi of fuel it was commanding 4000 it takes that much to start. so its looking like the pump ground itself up. the repair kit. pump injectors lines rails everything . all has to be replaced. the kit is $3500 and it back ordered. before someone says my dmax or cummins is better...they use the same pump  

Maine logger88

I wonder if they make a cp3 conversation for it like they do for the lml duramax The 01 to 10 duramax used them as well as 5.9 Cummins and they were much more durable. I know of a few 6.7 and lml duramax had issues with the cp4
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

kiko

I have a 6.7 and had had no issues with it ,so no experience with the fuel system. A common rail fuel system is a common rail fuel system.  A leak anywhere will result in low rail pressure.  Just this week had a common rail 8.3 cummins , no start condition, could start with either and run. No. 5 injector was the culprit.  Other leak sources are rail pressure relief( sometimes comes as a group with rail) and pressure regulator.

bushmechanic

Snowstorm I've heard of this problem in the Ram as well. Seems that they made the pumps with some sort of ceramic or ceramic coating on some of the parts. When it craps out it takes the whole system with it. I believe they had this same issue in the heavy truck engines too!

dgdrls

No experience with those, or for that matter any new HP common rail systems,
Good on you for being able to scan the system and start to narrow down the problem,

Keep us posted,

D

snowstorm

in talking to the service manger at the local ford dealer. he says we have not had a lot of trouble with that pump. but i think you are heading in the right direction. when it quit  one fuel return line came off. its a plastic harness

bushmechanic

I did a google search and there is a lawsuit against Ford,GM and Chrysler for these pumps. The 2021 Ram has an updated pump on it now the CP4.2 which is supposed to have all the kinks out of it. Good luck on getting it fixed. Funny how there is never a problem with stuff when you confront the stealership! "First we've heard of it" is all to common now >:(

Riwaka

The lawsuit appears to be both the cp4.1 and Cp4.2

Early common rail diesel engine failures in Japanese product were due to reasons like inadequately designed water separation units and the ecu not being programmed correctly for the specification of the diesel fuel used in various areas.

Looks like there could be a bit of blame shift going on with the pump lawsuits.

Judging by this article on marine ultra low sulfur diesel fuels, some ultra low sulfur diesel fuel suppliers are more diligent with monitoring and correcting the lubricity of the diesel they supply.
Another diesel fuel consumer faq is to avoid filling up your tank from a service station if the fuel tanker truck is making a delivery as the underground storage tank debris & water can get churned into the fuel pumped into your vehicle.  

https://www.truthinadvertising.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Martinez-v-Robert-Bosch-complaint.pdf

Diesel Engine Failure: Bosch CP4 Lawsuits Roll On | AutoWise   (article suggests fixes for US pick up trucks)

---------------------

Loss of Lubricity in Diesel Fuel  

What diesel fuel conditioners do the auto manufacturers recommend? John Deere has its own label diesel fuel conditioners.

snowstorm

in doing a little research that pump will deliver 29000 psi seems like a lot 

snowstorm

Quote from: bushmechanic on February 21, 2021, 09:31:48 AM
I did a google search and there is a lawsuit against Ford,GM and Chrysler for these pumps. The 2021 Ram has an updated pump on it now the CP4.2 which is supposed to have all the kinks out of it. Good luck on getting it fixed. Funny how there is never a problem with stuff when you confront the stealership! "First we've heard of it" is all to common now >:(
seems like i read that ford started using the cp4.2 in 17? that was also the year they put the lift pump in the tank and use a larger primary filter

tacks Y

So what year is your 6.7? My 2015 GM did not have a lift pump but does now, a Fast pump/filter to help with the main pump? Brother in law had problems with a Cummins, low fuel pressure turned out to be a strainer before lift pump. He had a new injection pump on order for it and changed out a $300 pressure relief.  

snobdds

If the fuel filters are not changed and the water separator drained, water will get in the system and rust.  

Water in the fuel kills these systems.   Be careful where you fuel up and change those filters.

snowstorm

started taking things apart sunday. the sensor on the fuel rail didnt look to bad. but the ipr on the pump was a different story. that had fillings metal flaks what ever you want to call it. now the hunt for parts. ford back ordered. talked to the fuel injection shop same thing back ordered. he did say its rare a ford dose this. gm had much more trouble because they did not use a lift pump till 2016. the repair kit with new pump injectors rails fuel lines. is 3500 or more depending on where you buy it

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

snowstorm

parts are ordered and will be 2 weeks if i am lucky

Nathan4104

Likely different, but VW's use the cp4 pumps too... and have similar sounding failures.  Sounds like lack of lube in fuel, or accidental gas.... your repair is light compared to some of the stories from VW owners... upward of $8g, some shops even changing the fuel tank and all the lines due to the contamination.
Some guys are doing cp3 conversions on those cars as well. And adding filters on the return fuel line to catch some of the cp4 failure shrapnel...

snowstorm

list on the parts is around 4500 plus 1500 core charge. i would not call that cheap then 10 plus hrs to do the job. word is there will be 50 of this part number released in 2 weeks. and that may be for the eastern part of the country. i am thinking by the time the parts show up there will be no need to put the plow and wing back on it

bushmechanic

That sucks that had to happen to ya right in the middle of plowing season. Hope you can get her up and running again without too much cost.

Thank You Sponsors!