iDRY Vacuum Kilns

'Nother New Laptop

Started by Magicman, May 19, 2018, 08:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

What are you doing up this early??   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 25, 2018, 07:46:03 AM
I finally got tired of all the Windows trials and tribulations about 2 years ago and went Apple.  Love it, never will go back.  Super fast startup, lots of storage, never crashes, everything works together including phones, iPads, wireless printers, networks, etc.

Maybe its time to punt?  
Is it 4rth and long yet?
Recently, I set my MacBook Pro Notebook up as full time network server to share our inventory, invoicing and other business files with multiple clients and run a database real time from several nodes.  I never would have believed a laptop would have the capacity and reliability.
Never crashes and automatically backs up files to the cloud.  
There are much less stressful alternatives to Windows and PC's.  JMHO
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

maple flats

I'm just glad my IT guy eats supper here most nights. My son, lives next door and fixes computer issues all day long. Whenever I have a problem, he fixes it. About a year or 2 ago my hard drive went bad. He just bought some new fangled hardware and removed the hard drive, installed what ever it's called, loaded the programming I wanted and all was good. Whatever it's called, it is way faster, has loads more storage and was quite cheap (comparatively speaking).
I'm on a 12 yr old dell desktop, running Win 10 and Firefox. Many of my programs are 06 and 08.
My son asked a week or so if we wanted a new computer, I guess he is building a new one to replace his 3 yr old one, he wanted to know if we want it. I'm not sure, after reading all of MM's issues, but my son has had zero issues with what he has, he just "needs the best available", in his mind. Well, maybe not the best available, but at least a few steps up.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Magicman on December 01, 2018, 07:45:03 AM
What are you doing up this early??   :)
That was 5:30 am local ;D. I was actually up at 4:00 am doing my monthly clean of the furnace and flu. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I must be an exception to some of the guys with so much PC troubles. I find a reliable brand and stick with it. I weeded out a lot of brands 20 years ago. Only reason I toss a laptop is it gets old, still works, but the software gets more and more bloated with new hardware that is faster and more memory. Years ago, they wrote good code because they had only so much horsepower and very little memory. I think they landed on the moon with a 47 kb computer. Goes to show ya what you can do with limited hardware. Oh, but it took 400,000 people to get them there in one capacity or another. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

All of my previous woes were with one laptop that apparently had a hard wiring or connector problem somewhere in it's bowels. 

I was encouraged to see the bit about the "hard" stop which was something that I did not know.  I have used a MacBook before and I will say that it is "different".  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman