iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first post and a couple of questions

Started by billy_wizz, October 25, 2014, 02:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy_wizz

Hi there
    i found this site looking for information on timber frame building! Unfortunately as its near my birthday i'm on a book embargo but have two on my list! I'm planning a small wood shed to start with 8'wide 10' deep the shed will be 8' x 8' with a 2' covered porch! It will be built with softwood. My options at the minute are European larch and pine i believe it is radiata or scotts but will have to check! Doug fir/spruce and western red ceder(not sure if its the same as the one you refer to but grows quite fast in the uk) may be available at other times! I was thinking of 6"x 6" for the sils posts and beams using 4 corner posts!
I have access to a box operated stenner vertical bandmill to mill the timbers! sorry for the ramble now for the questions

1, How accurate does the box heart cut need to be, does the heart center need to run perfectly down the center of the beam and if not how much off center can it be before it causes real problems?

2, Of the timbers i have and will have which are the best to use and are there any that shouldn't be used?       

3, If the stub tenon locates the post to the sill how is it fixed to the sill as the stub tenon doesn't look long enough for a good peg hold?

many thanks peter

Jim_Rogers

Welcome to the Forestry forum timber framing section.

1) Within an 1 on a 6x6 would be ok. If you get way off center the timber may flex to one side.

2)Not sure about these types as they don't grow in my area. Check with carpenters fellowship members they should be able to tell you more.

3) gravity. Some people run metal straps down the outside of the post past the sill to the concrete foundation to get a secure hold down.

Keep asking questions.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, billy_wizz.   8)

Just curious, do you have any relatives with the name "Poston"?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

billy_wizz

magicman i don't have have relatives by that name that i know to!

jim just to clarify if the cut runs from heart plum center one end to heart off by 1" the other end is that still ok as well?

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: billy_wizz on October 26, 2014, 06:14:02 AM
jim just to clarify if the cut runs from heart plum center one end to heart off by 1" the other end is that still ok as well?
Yes, hearts can wander off center some, but not a lot.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chilterns

Hi Billy,

You don't say where you are located in England but if your check out the Timber Framing section and the Timber Felling & Conversion section on the Oxfordshire Woodland Group web forum this will provide you with some ideas about what you can do with Oak, Doug Fir, European Larch & Western Red Cedar - all of which are good useable timber.

The North American practice of using stub tenons on post bottom is rarely seen in England with a 4 inch long pegged tenon being more normal practice.

Chilterns

Dave Shepard

Would those buildings have no floor systems? Like you said, over here we use stub tenons almost exclusively. In fact, I don't recall a pegged post bottom tenon in any old building that I've looked at.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chilterns

Hi Dave,
Please check out some recent photographs taken by Jeremey Hunter on the "Timber-Framing from Scratch" course run by Joe Thompson at The Weald & Downland Open Air Museum.

On the second from last photo you will clearly see the correct cross sill to long sill and long sill to post pegged connections and configuration. Temporary tapered metal pegs have been used instead of wooden pegs and this makes it easier to see the location of the pegs. The tenons are nominally 4" long and the mortices between the sill to sill and post to sill are interconnected faciliating this joint to self drain of any rainwater ingress. The long sills are left with 4" horns that act as relish for the cross sill mortices.

Chilterns   

Heartwood

Stub tenons should only be used on a closed-in frame and if there is some other means of holding the frame down, such as sheathing or straps tying the posts to the sills and/or foundation. In an open building, such as a pavilion or woodshed, pegged tenons should be used as a minimum hold-down. If a big wind comes up on an open-building roof, gravity can't be relied upon to hold the frame down.

Thank You Sponsors!