iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first walnut log

Started by lamar, March 30, 2004, 09:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamar

Can anyone give me the lowdown on walnut logs?
this one we can have but its not where you can get at it.I have an alaska mill so we could break it down. Need to carry out about 200' or so. Been on the ground about 1yr. +. 30" butt about 60' long. I figure cut as big of slabs as we can carry and resaw at home.What are the things about walnut that I need to know? How about rot and milling.Ok to leave bark on so I dont have to move log. Will flitch sawing be ok.How long can we get away without stickering? Thanks

Tobacco Plug

I have found it OK to leave the bark on.  As for flitch sawing, if you mean flat sawing rather than quartersawing, then yes, that is what I would do if it were mine.  Flat sawn walnut has better figure.  I think that sawing pieces as big as you can carry and then resawing at home would be the thing to do.  Stack and sticker it as soon as possible.
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

lamar

thanks lewis , you cleared things up now all I need to do is load all my stuff up.If this log is in good shape(rot wise) after a yr. on the ground there should be more lumber than I can load in my 3/4 ton so I best take my trailer to.What is the value (apx) of the air dried lumber off this log.I have to go to Lufkin tx. which is about 1hr. so. of here.Thanks again , Larry

Tobacco Plug

Good luck sawing.  You shouldn't have too much trouble with rot after one year.  Probably just the sapwood will be affected.  As for the value of the lumber, well, I just don't know what to say.  I have never bought or sold any air walnut lumber.  Any I have used either my father had or I sawed myself.
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Tagerts_crossing

After just 1 year the sap wood may even still be good.  I have sawed walnut after being down 10 years or so the sap wood was completly gone, but the rest was fine. Price is whatever you can get,  here in south central Indiana green 5/4 1.75--3.50 bf.  maybe more maybe less.  Seems like if you need it its high if you want to sell its low.
John Schoolcraft

lamar

I thank y,all for good info.This saw-ing thing gets one going.I finaly got to there I think I know a little then I want to cut more but it just keeps taking up more space.Need to try to sell somthing.Not a very good sales person Larry

Thank You Sponsors!