iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut log price?

Started by WoodChucker, April 01, 2004, 10:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

Hey guys, I had a neighbor call me and ask if I wanted to buy some walnut logs. I've never had to buy any logs before because all of the lumber I mill comes off my own property, so far anyway. But I don't have any walnut and would be willing to buy it from him for a fair price. I know it depends on the area but what would you guys think would be a good price (ball park figure) for 4 logs that are 20" X 10' long? Thanks!

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

beenthere

WoodChucker
Would like to help you with a price, but I believe we have no idea what the logs look like. Could have quality from "soup to nuts" (cull to veneer).  You look at them and decide what quality lumber you will saw out of them, then estimate what that lumber is worth to you (maybe 'nothing' is "fair") and go from there. Until you saw them into something, they are not worth much. Let us know what you find (visible bark and limb characters on the surface, straightness, etc.), or send a couple pics of what they look like.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WoodChucker

Thanks beenthere, I went by his place and he wasn't home but I looked at the logs. He used to work for a logging company and had told me they were "near veneer quality" and from the looks of them they could very well be. He has them setting in a trailer so I couldn't see all sides, but what I could see looked great. There nice and straight and no sign of branches  that I can see except for one and it was right at the end of the log. They have all been end coated too. So what do ya think, is that enough info? I hope so because I really don't what to look as stupid as I am, if I can help it.  ;D  Like I said just a ball park figure would be great because I have no idea even where to start. I don't know this guy very well and he may have a price in mind already, just want to be ready to counter if I need to. :)  Thanks again for your help!

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

oakiemac

Woodchucker,

I looked in the Michigan DNR stumpage price report but Walnut was not listed. I found it listed in an Illinois stumpage report for 5-03 thru 8-03: $490/mbf or $820/mbf FOB mill, Wisconsin had it listed in different zones form $1348 to 796/mbf.
I have always found these reports very confusing since there is such a wide variance. Hope this helps.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Buzz-sawyer

Those logs are worth exactly how BAD you want them...when I sell walnut I choose a price and sell it for THAT....so , what I am gettin at is with this , and all wood, it is VERY subjective....veneer logs sell here for 4 to 6 DOLLARS a board foot....is he planning on gettiong Near that?
I wouldnt pay over.40 bdft or .50 for em....
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

WoodChucker

Ok thanks guys, I offered him $150. and he took it, so I don't know if thats a good deal or not. Guess I'll learn the hard way if it's not. Anyway, thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

R.T.

DanG

Sounds ta me like ya done good, Woodchucker! 8) 8)  I've pondered and asked questions about log prices before, but I find that going with my gut usually works out ok. In your case, it was better than ok, I would think. Your break even point would be somewhere in firewood range. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

steveo_1

Woodchucker after you saw them figure out how much you paid per bf. Walnut is pretty expensive, i think you will come out real well.
got wood?

rebocardo

If I had to buy something that was basically unknown, I would offer at the most, what I think I could sell it for as cord wood in the worse case. Sounds like you did better at $150!

Engineer

'Bout 650 board feet, give or take, for $150?  Hell of a deal, at least for me.  I'd probably give twice that or more just to get my hands on some black walnut logs.

Anybody in PA or OH want to trade white pine for walnut?  :D

Ron Wenrich

I just sawed about 15 Mbf of walnut.  I'll trade you my knotty pallet boards for some clear 5/4 white pine.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

inspectorwoody

$150!  ;D I think you scored big by the sounds of it. Just sold some Walnut logs to the mill and I got between .60 - .80  a foot. When I sold them some veneer a while back I got between 3 - 4 dollars a foot!

Good Job!

WoodChucker

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. Guess it didn't turn out to bad, he even delivered them for me.  ;D

R.T.

Swing_blade_Andy

Hey Woodchuck

I've been using a formula now for a number of years and it seems to work OK .Like this

Standing tree x 2.5 = log price (felled & sned)

Log price x 4 = flitch price (cant)

Log price  x 6 = board price (wet)

Log price x 10 = board price (dry)

(Naturally these are minimums- charge more or pay less if you can)

Basically it means that for $150 purchase of these logs you should reasonably expect to make $1,500 from the sawn, dry lumber.

If this is unlikely for any reason then believe me you are not in business, but rather you have an expensive hobby.

Nearly every sawman I know that undercuts these proportions is struggfling to make a living.

Hope it helps.

Andrew

WoodChucker

Andrew, thanks for sharing your formula, I found it to be very interesting and will play around with it for sure. I have a real hard time grading and putting a value on logs, but I guess it just takes time on the job to get better so I'll figure it out one of these days. I really feel if it wasn't for this forum and the help I get from you guys, I wouldn't have ever even considered getting into saw milling. So I really appreciate all the help!  It really gets into your blood, but my blood seems to run a little slower then most.  ;D

R.T.

Thank You Sponsors!