iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mike_belben

a frameless log dump seems like a terrible idea. 
Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

Quote from: mike_belben on August 19, 2021, 03:34:23 PM
a frameless log dump seems like a terrible idea.
Agree. But we get them to this day on a regular basis. I don't recall any other problems except that one.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

mike_belben

i guess it makes sense in a super high volume lot where the trucks have to turn and burn fast and everything is over a weight scale.  but what a mess for the yard workers to be unbungling.  i hope they have knucklebooms or atleast forks with thumb. 
Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

Volume through our yard is not high. No scales, everything is either scaled in the field or in the yard. Dump trailers are regular, but infrequent. Nearly everything is unloaded with a knuckle boom. 
After talking with the yard folks, the one in the picture was up-righted by chaining the body and frame together and pushing it back over with the front end loader (seem removing logs from the trailer). There was another one that tipped over around that same timeframe. In that case the air suspension was not relieved and the load bounced when the dump cylinder reached the top.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

mike_belben

I am told a frameless with bags inflated is asking to go for a ride. Forget to lay it out one time and theres goes your telescopic cylinder.  
Praise The Lord

teakwood

Another one  ::) 500m from my finca. bad drivers, bad trucks, long hours, i think he was from salvador. had soap in it, the police tried to prevent the people from getting their yearly supply on soap  :D. they couldn't do much against 300 persons, they gather like vultures  :D  :D

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

That was a doozy.  Did it rip in half from the crash or the recovery?  

Whats a finca?
Praise The Lord

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

HemlockKing

That happened with a lobster truck not too far away from me a couple years ago, people were picking up still live lobster 
A1

teakwood

Quote from: mike_belben on September 11, 2021, 08:54:01 AM
That was a doozy.  Did it rip in half from the crash or the recovery?  

Whats a finca?
from the recovery, but as it was pretty step there the semi looked like a prezel just from the crash itself.
a finca is a piece of land between 15-999 hectares, after 1000 it's called a hacienda, in theory 

teakwood

Resonator

Those aluminum van trailers are built as lightweight as possible, think of it like a giant square pop can. The walls work like a truss to bear the cargo weight, and once they are compromised, they can rip in half.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Tacotodd

Quote from: Resonator on September 12, 2021, 11:29:29 AM
Those aluminum van trailers are built as lightweight as possible, think of it like a giant square pop can. The walls work like a truss to bear the cargo weight, and once they are compromised, they can rip in half.
I'm derailing quickly. Happy B-Day @Resonator  :new_year:
Trying harder everyday.

Resonator

Thanks Todd! OK to derail a thread about wrecks. ;D 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

HemlockKing

Quote from: Tacotodd on September 12, 2021, 07:22:16 PM
Quote from: Resonator on September 12, 2021, 11:29:29 AM
I'm derailing quickly. Happy B-Day @Resonator  :new_year:
Dang I'm hungry, thinking I could eat a whole couple a lobsters right now, you ever tried cream lobster chowder? Lobster roll??   :D
A1

Satamax

Quote from: mike_belben on June 28, 2021, 06:45:59 PM
Im certain you could have a replacement rod manufactured for less.
Quote from: mike_belben on June 27, 2021, 02:49:17 PM
you okay?  looks like the rock did the driving over that day. sucks man.  still work other than the squirt boom?

Quote from: Satamax on June 27, 2021, 11:38:58 AM
My turn, and an expensive one.  :'(

Well  several quotes later, a crook stealing 1800€ from me. I tried to buy a whole jib from UK. Which never arrived. 
It's back to working normally. I just bought another one. This time i paid attention to what i was doing. And the guy didn't know what he was selling i think. I paid less than the one i got stung on. 
Lowest quote for rebuilding the whole cylinder, 2500€ from an italian company near me. The red one is already foe sale on a big french secondhand site. 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

not really carnage, just my day to day life.  seems like something needs my love and affection 3x a week.

yesterday after loading the junk bunk trailer with pallet logs, poof, magic smoke comes up from the winch motor area and the remote is click clacking the solenoid but nothing is happening.  the winch is 10 yrs old but sat in a box until this year, has very low hours.  

i pulled the motor apart and it looked fine, nothing to fix in there. only pic i took is putting the 4 pole brush holder back on, figured itll help someone in the future.  need 4 hands, use 4 clamps.

the remote was making the contactor click in both directions so its not suspect.  took the chicom 500A contactor apart and it looked fine but had some very superficial arc spots on the contacts inside.  few file strokes, reassemble, walla.  winch is back online.

the tractor has always been hard to start despite having enough batteries to start a semi. id put it off long enough and this was getting old

pulled the 1972 denso starter off and took it apart.  aha. carbon fouled commutator.

this machine has a decompression and glowplugs on a manual rocker switch.  it could barely turn itself over with the decompressor open.  it could never start without a few minutes of glowplug then crank 5 to 10 revolutions then glowplug then crank.  and since end of summer it has needed all that and a jump, then i would leave it idling half the day if needed to avoid shutting off.  winching has not helped the batteries at all since it has a 10amp generator..  the batteries are really doing all the work.  i have to pull the radiator hoses and do some substantial fabwork to put a delco 12si alternator on it soon.  it is my fault that the winch contactor arc'd because of the little generator allowing a big voltage drop.  the $50 generic contactors are made very well and are easily serviced. 

anyways.. used a razorblade to clean up the commutator keys, then file and sand the surface back to new.  

hose it off with brakleen, sand the brushes a bit, shine up every copper contact, grease the end bush, reassemble and walla #2..

the machine can now crank hard enough not only to start without the decompressor, but hard enough to do it without glowplugs, and hard enough to raise the 3 pt and drive the machine in gear.

so a little sandpaper and some tinkering from 9:30 to noon me saved like $500 today in normal person dollars.  with what stuff costs anymore i dont know how one can afford not to be a mechanic.

Praise The Lord

Ed_K

I'm working on my 2010 dodge 1500, got in to start it last Thursday and the wipers started going full tilt headlights on hi and no rpm/speedo all dead. Started at the fuse box only one fuse blown, changed that still no help, thought the tipm was bad took it out, can't find anything wrong. So I moved the wires under the steering wheel the idiot light flashed then quit, I'm now thinking the wiring going thru to the drivers door has a break. It's so cold out 35° all day that I didn't go look.
Ed K

chevytaHOE5674

Have the rear axle from a Iron Mule 5310 in the shop. Broke a sun gear shaft, which sent large chunks of metal circulating throughout. Not a single gear in the entire axle has all its teeth still intact, every bearing shot. It ate the pinion bearings allowing the pinion to move into the carrier and cut a trench into it.

The problem with this is finding parts. It is a Ford A62 end loader axle. Not many of them laying around. Also believe it is a front axle from the loader but not certain on that yet.

newoodguy78

That must've made a really expensive noise when it let go. 

Crusarius

chevytaHOE5674

The machine is used to feed cattle way out on some old clear cut ground. Was about 1.5 miles back last winter in 4-5 foot of snow. Owner broke it and then proceeded to drive back to the house for more bales, then hauled the 2nd load and fed them all with 3wd and chunks of steel rolling around in there.

mike_belben

Those A62s are the same axles in my forklift, built by nasco down in alabama, theyre still in business and may still have parts.  They had seals in stock for me last year and my machine is an 85 i think.

I have the book on my machine if u need nasco part numbers.  Or maybe they know where some are
Praise The Lord

barbender

That definitely qualifies as carnage 😬
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!