iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

C4d tree farmer forwarder info

Started by logman81, August 13, 2018, 09:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Looking to get info on c4d tree farmer forwarder. What can anyone tell me about them? I am giving thought to upgrading to a small forwarder and have a opportunity to look at one. So this one is a factory made forwarder, has a barko 80 loader with newer super grip grapple and rotator. Also has the duezt motor. Has four almost new tires with good tread, Pr75 axles. Im been told everything functions as it should except brakes which he plans on fixing soon before he lets it go anywhere. Our terrain here is pretty flat so not to worried about stability. Ive getting older and pulling cable and setting choker is getting old especially in winter. To me i think it would suit my needs and demand better than a cable skidder. Anyway was hoping to shed some light on these forwarders.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Corley5

Mine was a late model with a Deutz, Hood loader and Centrax axles.  Good machine, not as stable as one with center oscillation like a Franklin or Iron Mule.  The continuous rotator and bypass bucket make the machine.  Tree Farmer center pins aren't as heavy other machines.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

logman81

Thank you corley5 i had forgotten that you owed one similar to the one im interested in so you are probably the guy to talk too. Supposed to be in decant shape minor wear in loader pins and center pins but i talked to Harolds logging in Maine and they said they can get most parts for loader and for the forwarder. Ive heard that the supergrip bucket is a good set up. Did you hand cut with it and how well did that work with it?

Corley5

Used it both hand cutting and behind a processor.  Handy machine.  With a strong hydraulic system they're fairly nimble in select harvests.  Look for slop in the transmission tower.  Mine had an NP tranny common to Ford heavy trucks and buses.  Parts are readily available from truck repair/parts places.  The brakes on mine quit working almost as soon as I got it.  There's a big hydraulic brake mounted on the front ;) :D

Skeans1

Does it have chains or tracks for the tires? What sort of lengths will you be hauling with the machine?

BargeMonkey

I rarely use the "breaks" on my 230, they work but if your that loaded and going downhill they wont stop you anyway. Continues rotate and a suregrip style bucket are nice but they take a little getting used to, you "scoop" wood, cant really pinch like a rotobec style head. Your loading 90 degrees to the cab, I can pick the rear wheels on my 230 in a heartbeat so be careful, I always try and stay 1/2 loaded if I'm going anywhere sketchy. Somewhere I've got pictures of picking up a treefarmer forwarder with a D6C about 3x yrs ago for Finch, you get one wheel on a stump and turned just right it can happen. 

logman81

Thanks corley5 i like the fact its nimble thats important because i do mostly selective cuts and its mostly firewood. Lengths of logs will be no longer than 16'. Our terrain is pretty flat so like i said with common sense and good operator skill i think tipping it over would be slim. No chains or tracks.

Corley5

A set of diamond ice chains came with mine.  I never did use them. There were only a couple times in the seven or eight years I had it that they would have been good to have on and we did use it in hills and deep snow.  16' wood is possible but it'll have to go on the bottom of the bunk and have shorter stuff piled on top to keep it on.  100" was mostly what we hauled with some 10' saw timber.  I did haul some 22' red pine with it.  Mine came with what I think is a Cranab bucket and an Inter something or other rotator.  They're hanging on my 132 Franklin now.  I switched them over and put the butt bucket and 180 rotator from the Franklin on the TF before I sold it.  Once you've used a bypass and continuous rotator you'll never go back.  I miss the Deutz engine and wish it was in the Franklin instead of the 3-53 Detroit.  Always have the blade down when using the loader.  It would pick up a fairly big log at full reach but it's safer and easier on the machine to grab them and drag them closer before picking them up to load.  

logman81

Thanks corley5 you have been very helpful.

Thank You Sponsors!