iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feeding of the deer

Started by thecfarm, December 30, 2018, 10:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I meant to post the Grandson put up a game camera. He has 13 different bucks coming to the line.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

Went out to do the nightly feeding and found a shed!!! Hope to find more. Seem like I find more where I feed the deer then out in the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

braucher

Good morning I am working on the first ton of protein pellets in my tube feeders .
I will do that till turkey season . Going to hinge cut some trees as soon as weather permits.
Has been to cold trees may break .

thecfarm

I am still feeding. I was back to my normal 30 deer. We had about 4 inches of wet snow about a month ago and than rain. That made a hard crust and the deer could not paw through the crust. I think that brought my numbers up.
There was about 20 there this morning.
I took a short walk and about 50 feet from where I feed, I found a shed!! The biggest one I have ever found. I had to go back to the house to get a hammer because it was packed down in the one of the trails the deer made.
The deer here will stop coming to my feed when the ground gets bare. I put food out at night and if it's still there the next morning, that tells me they are done dining out at my house.  ;D
I came home last night and had to wait for the deer to get out of the driveway up by the house. They get so confused, they don't know which way to run.

Tacotodd

Deer in the headlights   :D
Trying harder everyday.

thecfarm

Sorry, last night at 6:30. Still light out here. But have seen the same thing after dark.

Peter Drouin

I put out a 40lb bag of whole corn last fall and 1/2 is still there.
Snow here was no more than a foot deep all winter. 
I don't think the deer yarded up this year.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I work at a hardware/grain store. Our deer food grain is way down this year. Yes, on the not yarding up this year. The only time I had 30 deer was when we got about 4 inches of wet snow and than rain. Made a very hard crust that the deer could not paw through.
I heard from quite a few customers, no deer. One guy said they stopped coming to his feed.
I doubt we had a foot of snow on the ground all winter.

thecfarm

I have 20 deer at around 5pm each night. First thing in the morning too. The snow is melting, but really no big bare spots in the woods. But will be soon with some high 50's temps. What little snow there is, is soft.

SwampDonkey

Won't be much snow left in fields by next Saturday. Tonight will be on the cool side , but then 40's and 50's, so the snow depth will drop, even in the shade. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gspren

Our snow is just about gone, by the weekend it will be hard to find any that wasn't piled up with a plow. When the snow melted off by our lower field I spotted a shed off an 8 point in a mowed area near a winter wheat field, after I picked it up I looked around and saw the other side in some weeds. That's the first set I've found in years.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Walnut Beast

The deer are probably looking forward to spring 

Walnut Beast

If you get a chance get a couple pics of the sheds you found 👍

SwampDonkey

I wont see my first deer here until May when they migrate back up from the Charleston cedar swamps. There are a few out by the river, but they are staying in a deep gully with lots of cedar in it. I have zero deer tracks up here in the winter after mid December. Might be a couple moose around on the woodlot, but have not gone back in too deep to find them. Wouldn't be surprised.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

braucher

About three weeks ago I hinge cut about a quarter acre soft maple.
It ranged in size from two to six inch . Went back about a week later 
and was amazed how they ate .

Walnut Beast

Thought about putting some corn 🌽 in the deer feeders that have been empty for a long time. Elevator cash price 7.54 bushel. They might just have to settle for the food plots trying to come up

beenthere

Small food plot of the buck forage oats thanks to Walnut Beast, they seem to agree with this buck palete.

https://rumble.com/v1q9ffc-buck-eating-forage-oats.html

Seems to be enjoying it, while being alert to any does in the area. Glad to see a few nice bucks showing up in the daytime now. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Awesome little honey hole where you have them planted. Glad your getting some good action. Great video! When snow has it all covered up later on down the road they will be digging and pawing to get at it to eat

Walnut Beast

With being in a drought and lucky to have a little rain awhile back the Buck Forage Oats are coming along good due to the circumstances. Been through several freezes and down to 16 and 18 a few times they are doing good . The rain we got was about a week ago. Would have been nice if it would have been after it was planted

Hilltop366

It's rare not to see a deer in my yard year round (I don't feed them), the most I have seen at one time is up to 18 now.

My BIL will set up to shoot a deer in the woods behind my house so he bought 14 50-60 pound bags of cull carrots for bait for the season and dropped them off in my yard to put out 5 days later. Apparently the deer could not wait, there was only about 50 pounds left yesterday when he came back.

This guy was around chasing some does before the carrots arrived.

K-Guy

I don't put out feed. I have about an acre of "lawn" that is Timothy Hay and they like it as well as in another area closer to the house that has something I haven't identified that they like. Like many living in the country in Maine my lawn is field grass.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

KEC

In New York it is generally illegal to feed deer or bears. You can legally give them cut browse. I live near suburban areas where people put brush and wood out by the road for the town, village, city DPW to take away. When cold weather comes, (after deer season) I'm on the lookout for fresh-cut White Cedar boughs. I stuff some in the pickup and bring them home and hang them just off the ground from the lower branches of trees in the back yard. When the temps get down in the teens and it is snowy the deer love it. My house is well away from the road; I'm hard-pressed to see any harm in it. When the  deer have eaten the foilage, the branches go on my brush piles where a lot of birds take refuge from the cold and wind. I share my piece of the rock with the birds and critters.

gspren

Our back yard is about a acre and bordered on one side by woods and the back blends into a wooded pasture, don't see deer every week but occasionally. There is a spot near the center of the yard where I burnt a huge pile of tree tops and root balls from clearing for my building and the grass I planted there with a lot of ashes mixed in is still much darker than the grass I planted around the building using the seed from the same bag. The deer seem to like that dark grass and no chemicals or fertilizers were used, just lots of ashes.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SwampDonkey

Peter Drouin

Hi cfarm. smiley_wavy How many head you feeding now? and how many bags of grain a week you go through?
 I hope you two are all well.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!